PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox use of SG_explosion!

HowardM
02-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Click here for Animation (http://www.3dink.com/pix2.avi)

Meaty
02-24-2003, 07:02 PM
very cool, clever

John Fornasar
02-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Howard,

Nice application, would make a good tutorial

oxyg3n
02-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Hello.

I dont understand how you used sg explosion for this. I though that it is used for explosions. Could you explain to me how it helped you do this animation?

Thanks

HowardM
02-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Its all a trick, because it really is exploding!
:)
To begin with, the animation is reversed to reveal the logo.
Each cube is actually modelled and cloned in the shape of the logo (75000 polys!...I suggest you test with an obj under 10k otherwise SG_E crawls!)
The logos pivot point is at top right of the logo....you can see the circular 'shockwave' effect crawling through the logo....SG_E blows up from the 0,0,0 mark by default...you can actually change it, but I just moved the logos pivot point so it would start there.

The real trick actually came by accident...as always good tricks come from just playing around with the tools!

Set Power Falloff to "power~1/time" then tweak the Velocity to a low # (1-10), the Acceleration 0 - 0.5, finally the Power around 10....your settings may vary...my norm was 10m not 1!

..funny thing is, for some reason anything above 0 for Acceleration seems to BLOW away the objects so fast that they dissapear! ..even using MB wont leave artifacts!

...gotta love 'bugs' :)

oxyg3n
02-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Yeah, bugs are great. I once heard that is how chocolate chip cookies were discoverd (not by bugs, but by accident). And well, the rest is history!

I wanted to ask you another question. I dowloaded the crack it pack for sg explosion from flay, and I cant seem to get the plugins to work ( to crack/ divide up my objects ). The tutorials are all in a language I cant read so I was wondering if you had any tips for using it?

Thanks

Fokus
04-15-2003, 09:13 PM
I have played with crackit a bit, i havent figured out everything about it but
ITERATIONS will make more peices...if you choose a high number you might slow down your computer while it processes the parts

RANDOMNESS options are pretty easy to understand. as well as GAP option and Distribute to layers.

as for FLATNESS LIMIT I havent beenable to adjust it.

No idea what Bounding box mode does

THere are also 2 other plugins included...distribute and mergehighlayers. these do exactly that...distribute the parts to layers automatically or merge the high layers of the parts.

hope that helped.