PDA

View Full Version : Deformation plugin

kolby
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I`m looking for a plugin which can do something like "POKE" from Worley Labs, but more precise and scale independent.
I simply need realtime displacement plugin which can deform one object by another one and is able to keep this deformation for specified time.
Any tip ?

Axis3d
12-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Have you tried using SoftFX with a collision object? You can use an Event object to fix the dent in place.

ranhell
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
do you have an example to what you are trying to achive....:D

kolby
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I want create scratches. In a few moments, the scratchy object must heal up back to his original shape. Moreover, the scratch must be made in shape of object which do that.

(Sorry my english :thumbsdow )

othornton
12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I would suggest using a displacement map. If you don't have a displacement painting program I suggest trying 3D-Coat. Once you have the displacement map to make the scratch you want, you should be able to keyframe the transparency, strength, etc.

It would be easier to give more advice if you could tell us what the two objects are and how the scratching will be presented.

PS: your English is fine

Dodgy
12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I think there's a node in the dpont collection which does this, you might want to have a look.

kolby
12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I think there's a node in the dpont collection which does this, you might want to have a look.

I test it today, but the result is almost identical.

kolby
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
It would be easier to give more advice if you could tell us what the two objects are and how the scratching will be presented.

Is it about cylinder and piston damaging inside engine. The Dust particle must make deep scratch to cylinder and simultaneously to thin oil film on his face. Oil film then must heal up back to original shape and fill the scratch. Because of many other things I don`t want to paint any kind of maps.

joelaff
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
You can still use a displacement "map" without painting any maps. Use texture displacement. Stretch the texture in one dimension and use texture falloff if you like. This will give you some scratches... The amount can be animated to make it appear and disappear.

Jim M
12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Bake out maps into the advanced camera based on the actual scratching geometry. Very accurate, totally controllable. I call it the fog brush method. Have a look on spinquad, link below. After all this time I still think its pretty cool and perfect for what you need to do.

Painting with Geometry
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14553

erikals
12-27-2008, 06:41 PM

Yep, try DPont's MarkerPen, love it :)

kolby
12-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Yep, try DPont's MarkerPen, love it :)

Whaw, works perfectly for painting, but it is not sufficient for my problem.
I must create deep scratches in real time and directly in front of camera. The camera must even drive inside this scratches.

MUCUS
12-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Why not give a try with "boolean" node from Denis? It can handle both the scratching and the reperation with the same effector objects (and sorry for my english too! ^^)

erikals
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
um, not sure, think it will be too slow as of high polycount, but you can try.

kolby
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Why not give a try with "boolean" node from Denis? It can handle both the scratching and the reperation with the same effector objects (and sorry for my english too! ^^)

Already tested, but the result is same as with Poke from Worley. What about MCL Surface plugin ? Anybody knowe anything about it ?

erikals
12-30-2008, 03:54 PM
nope, never heard of it.

well, you could use the "morphed displacement" trick, where you simply use a texture to drive the the morph. should work.

you can use the MarkerPen to fix it.
or even several MarkerPen's.
Might be that you can change the color of the MarkerPen over time too, which would make the displacement easier, this would be done using an envelope.

erikals
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Test using MarkerPen only,

erikals
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok, here we go, it worked :)
don't mind the colors. under Object/properties/deformations/normal displacement you can see how it works when clicking the Texture button.
so what happens here is basically two MarkerPen's hiding and revealing the morph using a black and white value.

if you already made the object, there is a chance it might still work,
(you might want to run edgebevel, Ctrl-B on some edges first)
now try hitting Shift+D, and choose metaform, do this a couple of times.

now you can create the morph, and model the scratches. :)

erikals
01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
another method,
not sure, maybe this is better if it works...
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/md.mov