PDA

View Full Version : Volumedic experiences, anyone?

Hieron
12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Anyone in here that can give me some info on their experiences with Volumedic? Having a chat with hospital/university researchers pretty soon and would like to give them the option of including that type of rendering. But since it is hardly cheap, I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know what their experiences are..

Last thing I want to do is to promise them heaven, and find out heaven crashes often :)

William?

ps: I do already have the demo and tried their demo object, but that is hardly on the job experience.

Mr_Q
12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
We've used it on CSI. Mainly though to convert MRI data in to 3D meshes. I've done some volume rendering with it but that is definitely secondary to the conversions.

Overall I think it's very robust, seems to do exactly as it states. It's definitely unique in its usage (medical field). I appreciate the highly detailed 3D models we get from clean MRI data. You can also experiment with making your own "image stacks" and then having Volumedic do it's gag. Some fun there.

And of course, who wouldn't want a 3D model of their soon to be newborn baby still in the uterus? ;)

Sekhar
12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Kevin, I just downloaded the trial and am running into an error: if I change the slice and try to create, I get the error "Instance creation failed. %1" Any idea what this is? It does seem to go through with the creation.

Also, know any place for getting more scans for testing? I downloaded a few DICOM images, but VoluMedic isn't importing those.

Hieron
12-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the input Mr_Q, and congratulations on the soon to be newborn! :)

The demo works pretty good too, so I'll see if I can get them enthusiastic about it.

Sekhar
12-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Hieron, I have a similar system (QX6700, Vista 64), but am running into a number of problems. Could you compare notes?

If I try to open the scalar panel, I get the error "Line 16, attempt to access undeclared array s"
If I change the slice and try to create for the demo .vol file, I get the error "Instance creation failed. %1"
If I try to load any DICOM file (I tried many), it says it can't recognize the files. E.g., I tried http://pubimage.hcuge.ch:8080/DATA/QUANTREDEUSIX.zip that has a set of .dcm files.

May be I'm doing something wrong or using the wrong files. Would appreciate if you could confirm/help get past this, because I'm not able to do anything with the demo other than some monochrome renders with the demo .vol file.

Tom Wood
12-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Not knowing what you are wanting to do, take this with a grain of salt. If you can fake it, do so. Particle Illusions is a great volumetric faker.

Sekhar
12-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Tom, not sure if you're responding to me. We're checking out VoluMedic for medical use. I.e., it needs to accurate and based on the scan data.

Elmar Moelzer
12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello Sekhar!
Thank you for having a look at VoluMedic.
These issues are known issues/limitations due to changes in LightWave since version 9.0.
One issue is the error message when loading Dicoms.
That is a message that LW is issueing since its own image loaders can not recognize the file types (they never could). This should not be an issue since, if LWs loaders cant recognize it, one of VoluMedics Loaders (namely the DICOM loader or the Analyze, or the RAW loader) take over. You see that the order somehow makes sense. However since version 9.3 of LightWave, LightWave is issueing an error message whenever its loader can not recognize a file (previously it would just pass over it).
So you can simply skip the message and VoluMedic should still load the DICOM file without error. If it does not, please let me know and I will have a look at it ASAP.
The issue with this meaningless error- message will be fixed in an upcoming patch (as far as we can).

The error message you get when creating a new Scalar Object from the VoluMedic editor is only issued when you have already created a Scalar Object previously. We are not sure why, but LW issues this error message. It can again be ignored and things should still work normally. We are not sure what to do about this message, it is one of the big mysteries of LWs SDK, but as I said, things should still be working fine.

If you try to open the Scalar Panel without a Scalar Object in the Scene, you will get the error message you were describing here. We agree that this is a little cryptic and we promise to fix that in the next version.
I hope that I was able to help you. If you still have problems or issues, please let me know. We will do our best to be of your assistance.
Kindest Regards
Elmar Moelzer

Elmar Moelzer
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Here is a tutorial video showing VoluMedic 1.0 in action.
VoluMedic 1.5 is more advanced, but the basic techniques in VoluMedic 1.0 still apply. So the video should be helpful with getting you started:
http://www.mediastudio-graz.com/volumedic/html/vm_tutorials.htm

We will have more videos soon. We are just very busy working on the next update which is very big...

Tom Wood
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Tom, not sure if you're responding to me. We're checking out VoluMedic for medical use. I.e., it needs to accurate and based on the scan data.

Doh!

Never mind me, I didn't see the 'medic' part in all this.

I'll just go back to dusting off the doorknobs now...