PDA

View Full Version : tablet navigation question

hdace
12-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I just got my first tablet since the 90s. I'm a Mac user and when the Apple Desktop Bus went down the tubes in favor of USB it became obsolete. So finally got round to replacing it. And I'm loving it.

But how in the heck do you make the perspective view in Layout go up and down? With the mouse I used to right-click the navigation button (you know - the one in between the center and the spin buttons just under the "Modeler F12 button). That would make the view scroll straight up and down.

So far I've been able to achieve every type of navigation I used to do with the mouse except that one. It would be a big shame if the only time I ever have to reach for a mouse is to do that!

Any advice appreciated. Hal

parm
12-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Is it an intuos 3?

If it is. You can designate keystrokes to the express keys and touch strip,via its control panel in system preferences. Just assign alt and shift to one of the buttons, when you hold it down you'll get the panning motion.

Red_Oddity
12-16-2008, 01:59 AM
i'm not sure, but i always use alt and ctrl together with the 3 buttons on the pen, just make sure the buttons are properly mapped in the tablet control panel (they are usually mapped to somthing silly like 'doible click' or 'scroll'

hdace
12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Is it an intuos 3?

If it is. You can designate keystrokes to the express keys and touch strip,via its control panel in system preferences. Just assign alt and shift to one of the buttons, when you hold it down you'll get the panning motion.

No I'm using Wacom. And it doesn't matter anyway because your solution doesn't address the problem as I've described it. Panning, as you call it, moves the focal point around on a horizontal plane. I want to boom straight up and down. This is normally achieved by right-clicking the navigation button. There is no way to achieve this type of motion by dragging in the viewport with modifier keys pressed, whether or not they are activated on the tablet itself.

Thanks for trying, Hal

hdace
12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
i'm not sure, but i always use alt and ctrl together with the 3 buttons on the pen, just make sure the buttons are properly mapped in the tablet control panel (they are usually mapped to somthing silly like 'doible click' or 'scroll'

alt & ctrl zoom. I haven't found any pen button setting in combo with those modifiers that does what I describe. Thanks anyway.

parm
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I've just tried it again. Shift, Alt and Right click definitely does it here.

Shift,Alt drag goes the other way.

If you don't have the express keys. You could perhaps try mapping Modifiers: Shift and alt to the middleclick part of the side button, leave the other end of the button as right click. Then hold them down at the same time.

hdace
12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I've just tried it again. Shift, Alt and Right click definitely does it here.

Shift,Alt drag goes the other way.

If you don't have the express keys. You could perhaps try mapping Modifiers: Shift and alt to the middleclick part of the side button, leave the other end of the button as right click. Then hold them down at the same time.

Hey Parm! Thanks for not giving up. I tried shift, alt & right click again. At first it didn't work but then I tried it again with the pen slightly up off the tablet and that did the trick! Would have given up if you hadn't kept prodding me.

Thanks, Hal

hdace
01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I would like to point out that this is no longer working. Anyone else having a problem with this now (rc9-1533)?

zabu
01-10-2009, 02:22 PM
i to use a wacom on mac… i use this combo "apple(command)+alt+shift" then move up/down, …but now latest releases i have strange interface behaveaurs… all modifier keys sticks randomly…all goes unusable…