PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Quake or WDL Plugin

A.Russell
08-09-2003, 05:22 AM
A plugin is coming for game makers who want to make their level geometry in Lightwave. Who's interested?

Valter
08-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Cool!! Is it finished??

A.Russell
08-09-2003, 09:44 AM
It's just started. I want to find out how many people are interested and what features they want. This project was inspired by a program available for 3ds Max: here (http://www.malabar.tv/software.htm)

This one will also export to .map with textures.

BNA!
08-09-2003, 10:30 AM
/Me raises hand

DaveW
08-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm interested. I've been planning to use A6 to make a few simple games in my spare time, being able to export my levels from LW would rock.

fortress
08-09-2003, 12:06 PM
umm yes please
:D

Castius
08-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Very interested

Scott Lange
www.steelronin.com

Tonton1
08-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Count me in !

nemac4
08-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Me too! Me too!

David Mitchell

Karmacop
08-09-2003, 07:15 PM
There's a yes from me too :)

A.Russell
08-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the great response!

The plugin has just begun development, so if any of you have any hopes for its features please let me know. You can post here, or e-mail me at [email protected]

I'll keep you all posted with how it is coming along.

KenM
08-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Definately interested too, I'm looking at using A6
http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

A max-compatible translator exists at http://www.malabar.tv/software.htm

Lightwave would be much better! :D

A.Russell
08-10-2003, 09:50 PM
There will also, most likely, be a plugin for exporting mdl models with bones animation. This depends on how soon the new format becomes available.

I've seen md2 export plugins for Lightwave. This format has some issues with snaping vertices causing the model to look a bit wobly.

nemac4
08-10-2003, 11:18 PM
MDL?!!! Wonderful! It is such a pain it is to get the animations imported frame by frame. I am sooo looking forward to this one! The poping/wiggling verts from the md2 conversions drive me crazy.

David Mitchell

Gollum
08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Consider me really, REALLY interested! :D

A.Russell
08-18-2003, 01:49 PM
The plugin is underway, and now exports to map.

You have to put your level together in Layout (I was hoping it could be done in modeler, but can't have everything).

Two options for exporting textures. A more memory economical WAD system, and an exciting (but not economical) baked on texture export. (So now you can use Lightwaves fancy lighting in your levels).

Karmacop
08-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Great! :)

So why does it need to be done from layout? Does it fix things that wont work in the map format?

Thanks

A.Russell
08-19-2003, 02:52 AM
As it is now, each primitive hasto be a sparate item. The only way to do this in modeler is to place each primitive in its own separate layer then save the layers one by one. Hopefully this situation will change.

Anyway, it's working and it's coming along.

The good news is primitives with 32 faces can be exported, and pretty soon it'll also do entities, terrains ,lights and more. It will have optional texture baking and all sorts of neat stuff.

Karmacop
08-19-2003, 08:58 AM
to find each object you can do a simple select connected thing ... that way it could be done in modeler.

Anyway, what sort of primatives can be used? Will it break up objects if they are concave?

Castius
08-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Would you be willing to open up the plugin for other developers to convert the exporter to export to other engines when your done?

Bytehawk
08-19-2003, 01:39 PM
this looks real interesting

hope your progress is good and you don't have too many problems underway

Cheers

jubeie
08-19-2003, 01:52 PM
is there BSP convertion whit that or do you convert it later or not ?
using BSP saves many H

mohh
09-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Excellent!! Consider me VERY interested as well!

c i k l o n
09-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Great ! :D - I am interest !

someone knew how to export Layout ( character) animation to *.3ds format ???? :confused:

A.Russell
09-06-2003, 10:02 AM
It's ALMOST ready. The geometry export is finished. It exports to map, so if anyone here is using an RT3D engine other thanA5/A6 I'd like to test if it works on your platform too.

Texture export needs a little more work, but is almost there. Currently terrain and entity export are being added.

Once it is released, an MD7 seven format model exporter will follow shortly.

Lightwave's separate modeler and layout made the creation of this plugin very difficult, so it has taken longer than expected.

The plugin breaks illegal geometry down, so you can create all odd shapes of geometry in modeler and it will come out as a bsp legal map file! So far we've exported things like geospheres, curved walls using rail bevels, low poly character models and Japanese text successfully. Pretty soon it'll be exporting surface baked textures, terrains and entities. you'll also have the convenience of using Lightwaves texture mapping capabilities to apply your textures (you know how hard it can be to get a textures lined up right on rounded surafaces like columns in most map editors). If you use the texture baking option you'll be able to take advantage of all Lightwave's advanced lighting features for your levels instead of being restricted to point lights.

Just a little bit longer to wait now!

WizCraker
09-06-2003, 11:12 AM
count me in as well.

BNA!
09-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by A.Russell
Just a little bit longer to wait now!

Take your time - we're still highly interested!

EcLiPsE
09-07-2003, 09:47 AM
we are createing our engine with GLScene.

Just wondering if this will work well with it or not?

Karmacop
09-07-2003, 10:38 AM
GLScene supports MD2's and MD3's, why not use them?

I'm not sure about maps though, they don't mention them ...

EcLiPsE
09-07-2003, 11:16 AM
The md2 and md3 export plugin for lightwave causes lightwaves layout to crash for me.

right at the final stage of saveing the model with its animations.

nemac4
09-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Animated md2 and md3 models cause shimmering or wiggling polys when exported from lightwave due to lw's accuracy being higher than md2's.
It can look pretty bad. The only real option right now is to export out one frame/model at a time.

David Mitchell

mohh
09-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Is there a way to "average" the motions out in order to smooth them? What I mean is, that instead of having a point at say:

X:847.6191mm
Y:1.3397mm
Z:928.5714mm

Average it out to the nearest whole number:

X:848mm
Y:1mm
Z:929mm

http://forums.mohhs.com/images/smiles/icon_shrug.gif

Karmacop
09-07-2003, 07:03 PM
MD2's have this problem but MD3's don't.

EcLiPsE, it might be the versions you're using. I'm using export control v1.103 and construction panel v1.103. If you need any help message me or email me.

nemac4
09-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Do you know if a way to convert md3 to mdl?

David Mitchell

Karmacop
09-07-2003, 11:24 PM
No idea sorry :(

t4d
09-08-2003, 05:18 PM
love to get a map export for LW !!!!!

MD2's have this problem but MD3's don't.

i really don't see much of a problem with the md2 format

http://www.malefic.nl/~t4d/kalebx.html

all models were exported form lw using the md2 exporter
md2 works well ;)
i have used md3 but md2 is faster to convert so at the moment i'm happy with md2

again love to create level in LW where's the plugin
where O where is the plugin :D

A.Russell
09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Wow, all that interesting discussion that went on while I was away.

The programmer has said that the Lightwave to Map pluggin will be ready within the next two weeks. Actually it's working pretty well right now, but there are a few more things to be added and tests to be done.

This pluggin should work with any game engine that uses the map format. So far we've only been testing it in 3D Game Studio. Anyone interested in testing with another engine, please let me know.

If you can't wait to grab a copy, and want to lnow more, you can contact the programmer directly at [email protected]

The Lightwave to MD7 pluggin will be next, and probably won't take as long. So no more wobbly, popping MD2s.

The difficulty in writing the Lightwave to Map pluggin was that Modeler and Layout are separate. The Map file has to be exported out of Layout if you want surface baking and other fancy features, which makes reading the geometry difficult. This is a peculiarity of Lightwave, and I wish they'd just make it into one program like everyone else.

grnbriar
09-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi,
The Lightwave to Game System exporter is almost ready. I have a notice on my site www.GreenbriarStudio.com/3D that it will be released shortly. I will try to have a page up for it by this weekend with sample shots.

What it does now:

- imports wad files into the the LW image editor, any number of wad files (so you can apply (and alter them) and see them in LW)

- exports geometry from Layout (since you can only position objects in Layout and only Layout has lights (Duh!). Textures are defined the usual LW way with surfaces, so every face on an object can have a different texture, if you want. You just have to set up the surfaces you need in Modeler.

The geometry export will break up complex geometry (multi layer OK) into blocks, columns and other legal 32 face or less objects. Objects that can't be broken down can optionally be created as an object per face (thickness selectable) so you can make hollow spheres with doors in them, hollow pipes, igloos, etc. You can't have concave edged individual faces, but you can definitely make concave objects.

- exports lights with color and range

- exports custom wad files built from the textures you apply in LW (this is what lets it export baked surfaces - you have to do the normal bake then apply baked texture in LW and then this will dump them out to a custom wad file).

What we have to complete before it ships:

- terrain export (what I'm trying to finish now)

- mdl export for animated models (mdl5 and mdl7)

Since the geometry is about finished, we may go ahead and start shipping it without the terrain and mdl. Our upgrades are always free, so as the new features are complete, they will be sent to purchasers.

Greenbriar Studio is a full time 3D tool shop, providing tools for LW, Cinema 4D, Maya, Carrara the upcoming DAZ|Studio and soon trueSpace. We're always open to product requests (which is what started this project).

Email [email protected] if you would like to be on the email notification list when we ship. And let me know if you are interested in getting an early copy that might not have the terrain and model export yet.

Thanks,
David

mohh
09-08-2003, 11:09 PM
This is fantastic!! You've just made a lot of folks happy!!

BNA!
09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by grnbriar
We're always open to product requests (which is what started this project).

Full support for:

- Doom³

and to a lesser extent for:

- HalfLife²

please.

Danner
09-08-2003, 11:58 PM
I've made 3 Quake3 animated player models with lightwave only.. and an old pluggin by Mike Bristol..

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbristol/

grnbriar
09-09-2003, 12:04 AM
BNA - I just need someone to point me to any docs available for the level and model formats that Doom and Half-life can read and we'll try.
Everything I've been finding is the quake standard (and 3DGS).

David

Karmacop
09-09-2003, 12:08 AM
What ever happened to Mike? I have this feeling Newtek sucked him up to make some game exporters but that's my conspiracy theory and not based on fact :p

nemac4
09-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Would it be possible to have milkshape3d import plug-in support,.. like the commercial+ versions of 3dGS?

David Mitchell

Crim
09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Quake one is the best game ever created i even have a quake tattoo. so i guess im intrested

mohh
09-11-2003, 04:28 AM
How difficult would it be to add support for glm and bsp?

grnbriar
09-11-2003, 07:56 AM
The geometry we ouput is bsp legal so it can be used in a bsp tree. I'm not familiar with glm except as a regression analysis.

Are you looking for a specific format that some system wants as input? If you can you be a little more specific, I'll see what I can find.

Thanks,
David

mohh
09-11-2003, 06:01 PM
I was just looking through some of the pk3 files in Star Trek Elite Force and am assuming that Jedi Knight Academy will be using the same format. I was hoping to be able to import some of the bsp maps for editing. I'm not sure what the glm files are used for, but the are in every characters folder so I once agained assumed that they might be some sort of object definition format.

EcLiPsE
09-15-2003, 05:13 AM
Cant wait to try this out. My programmers can hold off on makeing a level editor for the project till later if this works well.

not trying to rush you :)

Is there an eta?

grnbriar
09-15-2003, 06:25 AM
The level editing is done and in final testing. We may go ahead and release it this week and let the model export be a free update as it gets finished.

David

Lamont
09-16-2003, 01:08 AM
Sounds very good, I`ll buy the game if the exporter works.

fortress
10-12-2003, 10:19 PM
any updates on this
:)

MrWyatt
10-13-2003, 02:28 AM
check this out (http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/GameLW.htm)

have seen this a few days ago as I surfed flay. It´s commercial though

t4d
10-13-2003, 02:28 AM
seems an odd one .....................
here's the site here
http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/

I have emailed the developer 3 times now
hoping for a basic level done with the plugin to show it works
or a demo version of the plugin but he doesn't even reply

On the site there's a few pic's of a hallways with afew piers doesn't really tell me what the plugin can do.
i want to create more then a hallways in my games
and need to see how the polygons are broken up for map convertion.

i don't know why he can't reply to afew Questions ?
or give a basic level or even a file to see what the plugin can do

what support does he give if he can't reply to an email before ibuy it ??

the whole thing just seems odd
would pay for the plugin in a heart beat,
but i'm not paying for a nice idea i need to see it works :rolleyes:

grnbriar
10-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi,

I have not received any emails from you (that I can tell). I always answer questions about my products. Try - [email protected]

I'll be posting some better samples as my testers and early customers get some fancy examples finished. Deadlines for LW8 coming up have kept me busy for the last couple of weeks.

David