PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Artist

sandman300
12-15-2008, 01:34 PM
For a while now, I've been looking for an artist that can create concept art for an animated series that we have the rights to. We had an artist but recently he flaked out and became very unreliable. The work calls for designing several characters. Likely there will be much more to do as things go on. For now, the goal is to create a trailer for the show. Something to show off to the executives.

At this point,
- we have a producer interested in paying for this venture, on the condition that we can prove to him that we can actually pull it off.
- we have been talking to the Cartoon Network for distribution.
- we also have been talking to a publishing group to have the stories reproduced in newspaper strip form.
- the first season of episodes have been completely written and two more seasons are projected.
- all assets thus far have been copyrighted.

I have been searching locally for artists but I had not been able to find anyone who could produce images with any sense of time (as in "hey, do you think I could see something in the next couple of days?").

To give a extreme basic idea of what we're working to, the main characters consist of 5 ninja rabbits and several dogs. the setting is styled after Feudal Japan.

Anyone who is interested in the project PM me or post here with any comments or questions. This job will pay, just not right away.

HarverdGrad
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
If you're not going to pay anything up front (and you expect immediate results), why would anyone take this job?
..I'm just sayin! :thumbsup:

Dexter2999
12-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Look around here http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=manga&order=9
You could try contacting the artists to see if anyone is interested.

Good Luck

adamredwoods
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I have been searching locally for artists but I had not been able to find anyone who could produce images with any sense of time (as in "hey, do you think I could see something in the next couple of days?").

Sounds like you are looking for a professional. Two days is good time for the pro storyboard artists, but you MUST pay them for their time. Amateurs, spare timers, you should expect less.

Also, professionals are getting paid for their CURRENT work, so you need to hand pick them and approach them, they will not approach you.

If you are truly confident that this project will bear fruition, start an LLC company and take out a small business load to pay for work to be done. Make sure you have a solid business plan, which sounds like you may already have since you have distribution plans.

If you are not confident enough to take out a loan and pay people up front, then maybe the idea isn't so sound.

cresshead
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Sounds like you are looking for a professional. Two days is good time for the pro storyboard artists, but you MUST pay them for their time. Amateurs, spare timers, you should expect less.

Also, professionals are getting paid for their CURRENT work, so you need to hand pick them and approach them, they will not approach you.

If you are truly confident that this project will bear fruition, start an LLC company and take out a small business load to pay for work to be done. Make sure you have a solid business plan, which sounds like you may already have since you have distribution plans.

If you are not confident enough to take out a loan and pay people up front, then maybe the idea isn't so sound.

:agree:

If you do not have funding currently to pay for their Concept art, then that's your first hurdle to solve before hiring artists.

sandman300
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't expect immediate results. But if a few months go by without a word, now that's not what I want.

Part of this gig is getting the budget to make the series. Unfortunately I don't have the personal financial standing to lay out for art concepts. In my recent history I have been burned far too many times.

I'm sure I could find people at deviant art. but My thinking was that an artist here could likely understand character designing for 3d. Also, the Newtek community has always been good to me, I find a sort of loyalty to the forum.

I was looking for someone who would be interested in being a part of the creative core in this project. I don't expect "a professional" to respond to me. But rather, someone who was willing to take a chance to get into the system.

cresshead
12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
i think the best option for both parties would be staged payments, that way you don't commit to an artist that either doesn't deliver ontime or isn't to your style..more of a 'pay as you go' that keeps both parties on their toes and interested espcially in the credit crunch climate we're in nowdays.

maybe ask for a quick sketch/sculpt/model as an entry ticket and then move on to pay per characater as you move thru the characters needed.

if your producer likes where it's going then he'll/she'll can find funding the develop it further.

zapper1998
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
At this point,
- we have a producer interested in paying for this venture, on the condition that we can prove to him that we can actually pull it off.
- we have been talking to the Cartoon Network for distribution.
- we also have been talking to a publishing group to have the stories reproduced in newspaper strip form.
- the first season of episodes have been completely written and two more seasons are projected.
- all assets thus far have been copyrighted.
To give a extreme basic idea of what we're working to, the main characters consist of 5 ninja rabbits and several dogs. the setting is styled after Feudal Japan.
Anyone who is interested in the project PM me or post here with any comments or questions. This job will pay, just not right away.

Actually it sounds interesting ..
Actually it sounds like fun ..
Actually it sounds like to short a notice ...

Michael

sandman300
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
zapper1998, What sort of time do you need? i can send you the script for the first episode and some character descriptions. You can look over it. Then let me know what you think. At this point I don't think anything real is going to happen until after the holidays.

wacom
12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
You should make up a formal contract then that states what, if anything, the artist(s) are entitled to once the production wheels start to roll. Giving them a stake in the future of the project helps motivate them along with the carrot of cash...

sandman300
12-15-2008, 04:35 PM
That's an interesting idea, sounds fair. I'm no good with contracts so I'm emailing my business partner. I'll let you know what he thinks.

adamredwoods
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't expect immediate results. But if a few months go by without a word, now that's not what I want.

Call them every other day. Keep on them. They will whine and cry, you have to squeeze them a little, this is part of the cost of not paying a professional. When I was a producer, I had to pester many, many so-called professionals to get things done.

I was looking for someone who would be interested in being a part of the creative core in this project. I don't expect "a professional" to respond to me. But rather, someone who was willing to take a chance to get into the system.

Keep trying and keep the expectations reasonable to the budget. Tenacity will get the project made.