PDA

View Full Version : editing different frames at the same time

zardoz
12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I know this may seem strange or weird but I think it would be interesting to edit different frames at the same time. We could have different viewports like perspective but set at different times...and editing some object at frame 10 and see what is going to happen at frame 30 or 50 in the other viewports. I guess that there isn't a software that can do this, but I guess this could be useful.

tx for reading

Sensei
12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I like idea, but not possible without rewriting everything.. :)

jameswillmott
12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
I think it's a great idea.

Dexter2999
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, it sounds like an Open GL version of what editing packages do with video. In Avid they call it "Slip and slide" Where you shift the In and Out points on a clip and the two preview panes show you new in point and out point.

Now it can obviously done (I'm not saying easily). Because anyone who has played a multiplayer video game like HALO where multiple viewports are various POV of various players.

There would need to be an option where you would either place markers to set the offset between the first frame (in your example 10) and the last frame (in your example frames 30 or 50). Then have a drop down option that reads something like "Frame Offset" And all other frames would default to Current frame. Not sure what drop down you would put it under though. Whichever one you choose you lose something.

Maybe have to run it as a plug in? A self contained version of the scene. You move to the offset frame distance. So the main window would be on 10. The plug in window display would be on 30 then you click "gang" and when you scrub the main timeline it scrubs the plug in window as well? Keeping the same number of fames offset?

I dunno.

Easier to create a preview that plays back showing the offset. Of course you would have to wait while it regenerates as you make changes.

zardoz
12-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, what I was thinking was something like...we could choose some viewport and the time line would be active for this viewport, and in other viewports we could lock them in some frame (or frame offset like x frames ahead or behind) and the active viewport would be editable, just like it is now (and all the other viewports that aren't locked stay 'connected' with the 'regular time line').

I have the idea that this would be complicated to implement in layout, but maybe with some plugin it could work...at least for light scenes, on heavy ones it would be hard to work I guess.

This also takes us to detached viewports...It would be great if we could detach the viewports and have as many as we want and with whatever view we want. I guess modo has this, but I never used it so I don't know.