PDA

View Full Version : Optimum version of LW for my hardware and OS

PaulP
12-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Greetings all,

I use a Power Mac G4 1.25 DP MDD computer with Mac OS 10.4.11 - an old setup by todays standards, but it serves me well and I have no desire to change. I am keenly awaiting the new LW 9.5, but after reading a few posts on here, I get the feeling I would be better off sticking with 9.3.1, as it seems to me that 9.5 is better suited to Intel Macs and Leopard.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions and insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JeffrySG
12-14-2008, 08:44 AM
The 9.5.1 beta is still being written for the PowerMacs (CFM version). I would at least join the open beta (or wait for the release) and test it out. It's free so it can't hurt. I can't attest to running it on a powermac but so far on the intel macs the newer version is so much better and much more stable. :)

Chilton
12-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Paul!

Greetings all,

I use a Power Mac G4 1.25 DP MDD computer with Mac OS 10.4.11 - an old setup by todays standards, but it serves me well and I have no desire to change. I am keenly awaiting the new LW 9.5, but after reading a few posts on here, I get the feeling I would be better off sticking with 9.3.1, as it seems to me that 9.5 is better suited to Intel Macs and Leopard.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions and insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LightWave 9.5 is being heavily tested in Tiger as well as Leopard. Our team has a very wide mix of G4s, G5s, and Intel based Macs. We only suggest Leopard because Apple fixed a number of OS-level bugs that plagued users in Tiger, for Leopard.

That said, a bulk of our testing is going into Leopard and LW, simply because that's the direction Apple is headed in, and we're more likely to see an increase in Leopard users than an increase in Tiger users, for obvious reasons.

The Universal Binary of 9.5.1 will run very well in Tiger, on your G4. And it should be a much better experience than even 9.3.1.

You should download the *free* 9.5.1 Universal Binary in the Open Beta section of your registration page, and try it for yourself. Just make sure to only discuss it in the Universal Binary forum, and not here, for now.

Thanks,
-Chilton

PaulP
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
many thanks gents,

appreciate you taking the time out to help.

Thanks. :)