PDA

View Full Version : How do you share contact (address book) information?

steamthunk
12-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok you guys are the most tech savy community I belong to so I'll pose a seemingly simple question that's just bewildering me:

I want to build a contact list/address book for my wife and I so that we can access them via our respective computers. We got married last year and still haven't really merged our contacts.

You'd think this would be a fairly simple thing, but I'm kind of stumped. I could imp/exp a thunderbird addressbook or a variety of CSV files but that is a huge hassle. I'm not opposed to setting up software. I even have my own web hosting account if that makes any difference.

The simplest thing I could think of is making a shared free email account (yahoo, gmail, whatever) and just entering our addresses there.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Stel
12-13-2008, 12:27 PM
If your contact list is in outlook, you can export the contacts (one at a time I believe) and then import or save them to the other computer.

I belive it is send contact informaiton via email (under the file option)

Silkrooster
12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
If your contact list is in outlook, you can export the contacts (one at a time I believe) and then import or save them to the other computer.

I belive it is send contact informaiton via email (under the file option)

The entire address book can be save to a file, which can then be sent to another computer and imported into the address book.
BTW, I am talking about the windows address book that works in conjunction of outlook express not outlook, which has its own address book. That file can be imported into outlook as well now that I think of it.
Silk

steamthunk
12-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks. Although exporting files makes syncing a manual task even more than it can be normally so I was hoping to find some way of getting out of that. The more I research this the more I'm finding what I'm talking about is having an active directory or LDAP server, but that's a stupid amount of work for a seemingly simple task.

I might screw around with livemesh beta to see if there's some file share angle.

Silkrooster
12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Then why not network the two computers and share the same file?
Silk