PDA

View Full Version : New to Lightwave

wfstecko
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Lightwave. Actually, I'm new to anything even remotely artistic in nature. I've wanted to explore my "creative side" to see if I actually have one for a long time, but I got sidetracked by building a career in network administration. I've reached the stage where I'd like to do more with computers than just troubleshoot and fix them, so it's time for a new hobby. If it turns into something more, great!

So I recently purchased Lightwave 9.5 and am running it on Windows Vista. It's taking a while, but I'm beginning to feel comfortable in it. The interface is very different from anything I've used in recent memory.

Last week I bought a Mac Pro, dual quad core processors, 4 Gb RAM, running OSX. I'm new to Mac's as well. Before this I never did much more with them than connect them to network shares.

I'm considering moving my Lightwave software from my Vista machine to the new Mac. I'm wondering if I should be aware of any re-registration issues, and also wondering if there is any difference in the functionality of Lightwave between the Windows and Mac versions.

Any advice is appreciated,

Walter

cagey5
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I think one of the biggest differences is the number of third party plug-ins for the Mac. I believe there are far fewer than on the PC so it would be worth drawing up[ a list of those you currently use or feel you will need in the future and check their availability on the Mac in order to make a better informed decision as to whether to switch or not.

akrantz
12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I use LW on a MAC, and the big issues to consider are plug-ins, release time frames and bugs. We get everything after everyone else and some things we just don't get at all. FPrime will not work for you, Swift for LW will not work for you. UB users didn't get to use the Sas Lite, we still don't have LW 9.5 officially, bugs take longer to get fixed etc etc. That being said LW is a great program and it can do incredible things, and while the UI may be a bit scary at first its exceptionally logical imo, which in the long term makes it very easy to work with, I actually wish more programs had similar UI's, Overall LW is great (even if they do a horrible job promoting it) and its great on a Mac as well a PC (although I must admit I have been moonlighting recently with C4D) Plus don't forget if you use it on the Mac you don't have to use Windows :)

JonW
12-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Down load all the tutorials that William Vaughan has done, they are very good! Even if you don’t think you will you a particular feature in LW there is a lot of subtle things that you will pick up that will save you a lot of time.

Working examples are of much greater help in learning & these can be adapted & applied to your projects.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

dwburman
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I have both a Mac and a PC on my desk. The Mac is much newer and more powerful so I use the Mac most of the time. Sometimes, I use the PC version if there's a plug-in I need to use that I don't have a Mac equivalent for.

The way Newtek handles the registration is simple and free. You get a separate license code for Mac, PC and I think PC 64bit. My dongle shows a different hardware ID on the different platforms.

jasonwestmas
12-13-2008, 07:56 PM
IMO, 9.5.1 for Mac OSX will be ACE! You won't need as many plugins either. I hope the 64-bit version will be available soon. I have a lot of expensive windoz plugins that I don't really need as much anymore.

wfstecko
12-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice and tips. I have it installed on the Mac and PC now, so I can use either one or the other. I was just getting sick of Internet Explorer crashing after every second 3 minute tutorial. It wasn't helping my concentration.

I found the interface a bit intimidating at first, but as mentioned earlier, I'm beginning to see the logic in it.

I'll keep grinding away on the tutorials, so maybe some day I'll be able to create something I won't be too embarrassed to post.

Thanks again,

Walter

meshpig
12-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Hello,
I'm new to Lightwave. Actually, I'm new to anything even remotely artistic in nature.
Walter

Wow! What an admission. It's a lifelong commitment you realize for belter or for worse kind of thing?

Thankfully you've made the right decision, welcome to the club, you won't be disappointed.

m:)

toby
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Thankfully you've made the right decision, welcome to the club, you won't be disappointed.

m:)

:agree:
Welcome, welcome Walter, get ready to have some serious fun!