PDA

View Full Version : PTex, Texturing using Texels

Ivan D. Young
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
saw this over at Cgtalk and checked out the site. Very cool technology.
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~lacewell/ptex/
Since Newtek is rewriting lightwave, hint hint might not be a bad idea to look at something like this for Lw 10.

geothefaust
12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Wow man. After watching those videos in action, I'd love to see something like this. Admittedly though, it seems closer to something Zbrush, BodyPaint or 3DCoat would do. But hell, if LW could do it too, awesome.

Ivan D. Young
12-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Surprised not more folks have jumped on this, but can start several threads on UVing, HAha!

geothefaust
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
No joke. This is really advanced technology and all of the benefits pretty obvious. Where is everyone? This is seriously cool stuff.

I wish there was a way to demo their proprietary software. I assume that the technology is there for anyone to use (code wise) as they are giving away their study papers on it?

Sensei
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't see anything advanced in it.. ;)
It's like using Map > Poly Map > New Quad Polygon Map, and then assigning every patch different image..

Ivan D. Young
12-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Did you really watch the videos? It is a little more than that.
I do not see any one else with software like this, so to say it is not that advanced might be a little premature. I think the ability to texture and displace with this method could have some advantages.
It would remove a lot tedium from texturing and reduce time spent on making quality UV's.
Hey Sensei I am secretly hoping that your comments would suggest that you maybe have a plugin that would let us do this for LW.

Sensei
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I think the ability to texture and displace with this method could have some advantages.
It would remove a lot tedium from texturing and reduce time spent on making quality UV's.

But the result is huge not optimized image file.. If you have 10,000 sub-patches and every have minimum size 64x64 texels (according to website), it's like 6400x6400 pixel texture (625 MB for uncompressed RGBA with single floating point precision).. In the worst case (2048x2048 for sub-patch) it'll be like 204800x204800..

Hey Sensei I am secretly hoping that your comments would suggest that you maybe have a plugin that would let us do this for LW.

Yes, TrueArt's Painter.. but it doesn't have OpenGL previewer (like Z-Brush/3D coat/modo etc), but the same previewer as TrueHair.. so you paint on real-time ray-traced image.. :)

Ivan D. Young
12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
The size of the file probably would be large, I think that is a case where you pay for simplicty by more texture size. That would definately be a trade off, ease of use and speed versus file size. In a bucket renderer I guess you don't have to make that sort of distinction.
I will check out your paint plugin, thanks.

nemac4
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
It looks like 3dCoat will be supporting this. It would be great to have ptex support in LW too.

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1956

geothefaust
12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah man, I saw that thread. It's amazing what Andrew has been doing with 3DCoat. I'm sure this technique will catch on.