PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush as simple polytugger

theo
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
On high poly meshes I am find myself utilizing ZBrush consistently for basic tweaks that go beyond definition sculpting.

I would never use ZBrush exclusively without LW but the incredible capability of ZBrush to handle high poly counts with ease (as compared to LW) has made it a plugin of sorts for even basic push/tug work within LW.

The instant feedback is invaluable and efficient.

cresshead
12-12-2008, 04:05 AM
i think zbrush has so many useful tools and capabilities be it for lo poly or hi poly sculpting and zsphere modeling is amazing, i simply couldn't do without it for organic character modeling now that i've used it.

akademus
12-12-2008, 04:15 AM
With or without additional softwares, Zbrush is one simply amazing tool. I cannot image doing any modeling or texturing without it anymore.

Can't wait to see what will next versions include

JGary
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes I agree, it works great for pushing/pulling on high-rez meshes. Once I was sent a posed high-rez character mesh from a client with the request to make modeling changes as well as changes to the pose...short timeline of course. The move tool in Zbrush was invaluable for modifying that super dense goemetry...saved me a lot of headache.

Revanto
12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Zbrush is great for even defining a low poly cage at the beginning of construction. You can create a crappy shape in lightwave, refine the form in Zbrush then send it back to lightwave for refinement. The whole back and forth process makes 3d a more fun way of doing things. Before Zbrush 3, I found organic 3d modelling a chore. But once a developed a flow between lightwave and zbrush, it just became so natural. I haven't used mudbox so I can't comment on if the flow is as friendly but to each their own. I'm sure that mudbox suits other people better than Zbrush.

Revanto :p

theo
12-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Zbrush is great for even defining a low poly cage at the beginning of construction. You can create a crappy shape in lightwave, refine the form in Zbrush then send it back to lightwave for refinement. The whole back and forth process makes 3d a more fun way of doing things.

Do this all the time. And it isn't just fun- it is very efficient, especially when working with a high poly mesh.

theo
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Also, the subtool menu adds an amazing new element to this back and forth by allowing one tight control over layered objects.

IMI
12-12-2008, 05:30 PM
As an avid ZBrusher, I have to say I couldn't possibly agree more with all the above.

And here I thought I was the only one using it in this way, afraid to admit it, lest I incite the wrath of the Lo Poly People. ;)

But to add to the above, ZBrush's retopologizing tools - ZSpheres used as points for creating geometry atop and conforming to existing topolgy, is one amazing feature. Not only for creating an optimized lo-res mesh from a hi-res mesh, but also for creating things like clothing or anything else which needs to "fit" onto existing geometry.

Truly an incredibly versatile and revolutionary tool of many uses, ZBrush is. :)