PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #18-Things Under the Sea

Iain
12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #18
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Things Under the Sea

Shells, fish, coral etc, etc.
Thanks to AdamRedwoods for the topic.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Pamela G. Juust
12-12-2008, 12:17 AM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/283/kellgb8.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kellgb8.jpg)

JCG
12-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Oh, you had to see this one coming.
It HAD to be done!!

(The rock was not created within the hour.)
(I was just starting on the upper shell when the time ran out so, if we had a snapshot of the back, it's still completely flat and partially open.)

PS: How does the system decide which images appear on the post and which ones appear just as a link?

colkai
12-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Sheesh, talk about getting on it quickly :) ;)

flakester
12-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Blimey!

2 great entries already, and I've only just seen the thread!
Ace work. :thumbsup:

flakester.

KillMe
12-12-2008, 05:45 AM
ok thought i would join in - have been busy at university lately so not had much time for lightwave but figured i could take an hour out ( says hour optimistically - 57mins so far but by time i got it nicely textured and pretty render might be quite abit longer ) will post the renders and textured version when done

JeffrySG
12-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Wow, really great entries already! I really like all three of these! :D

KillMe
12-12-2008, 08:19 AM
ok rendered version - made some minor adjustments to the seaweed polys and added a seam round the middle

colkai
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
IMHO it needs more murk, the visibility down yon would be dire. :)

KillMe
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
its in the carribean :D

colkai
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
yah man - easy :)

IMI
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, excellent stuff already. :thumbsup:

adamredwoods
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Awesome entries. I will need to get my game on this weekend.

KillMe
12-12-2008, 07:10 PM
just wanted it to look a bit nicer - so added more seaweed - some bolts to hold the bottom in place - and bubbles - sky - waves etc etc

colkai
12-13-2008, 03:19 AM
Dat very nice! :)

colkai
12-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Who woulda thunk it? Not the simple model I thought it was in the end.
Right down to the wire on this one, had to stop adding the top nurnies at 59 mins. :(
As can ben seen from the ref. shot, it has more "on top", though the model is an amalgamation of a couple of different versions on the craft, (the one in the ref doesn't have the rear bit).

Most time was spent on the rotors and propellers, not 100% happy but then, considering it's my first bash at modelling a propeller I'm not too upset at how it turned out. :p Weighs in at just a tad over 39K polys.

Going to spend some time tomorrow texturing it and I may put it in a scene if I have time, if not, I'll keep this base display. :)

JeffrySG
12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
just wanted it to look a bit nicer - so added more seaweed - some bolts to hold the bottom in place - and bubbles - sky - waves etc etc

really nice render... I thought those were flags on the mine before I saw the rendered image! lol

Great image! :D

That sub came out nice, colkai. :) I don't think I would have tried that for the hour time limit. You did a nice job for the hour!

mikala
12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
All great entries.
Really loving the mine pics.

colkai
12-14-2008, 10:23 AM
That sub came out nice, colkai. :) I don't think I would have tried that for the hour time limit. You did a nice job for the hour!

Thanks!
I made sure I spent a lot of time looking at it first, playing ideas over in my head, looked up as much as I could on propeller modelling, (though I never did find the exact thing I wanted so 'fudged' it). Wanted to give myself the best chance of getting it done, a bit miffed I did run out of time - my own fault for spending too long on things that aren't really that obvious.

Did the UV map today but I've obviously under-sized it as my 'rivet bumps' are feckin' huge! :p Ahh well, live N learn I guess, seems 1000 x 1000 isn't a good size for that sort of thing. :foreheads
Currently rendering, taking a while as I've put an old water-plane in I had, not stellar, but better than a block of wood hehe. Will upload final render as and when, (after me tea proabably now), taking it's time though, (took 25 mins so far, reckons it's got another 25+ to go). :hammer:

colkai
12-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok, all rendered, took just shy of 43 mins in the end apparently.

Have attached the object/scene in rar form, (requires Winrar 3.61 or greater).

art
12-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I really wanted to do spongebob squarepants for this challenge. I'm not sure if 60 minutes would be enough with my skills.

JeffrySG
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I really wanted to do spongebob squarepants for this challenge. I'm not sure if 60 minutes would be enough with my skills.

ahh... that would be great! I'm sure you could get a good portion of him! You should at least try and then you can always add to the model if you need. :)

Mike Borjon
12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
How bout creating a new character that would fit into the Spongbob world. That would be cool.

adamredwoods
12-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi. Here is my entry. Something easy.

Modeling: 40 min. Texturing: about 2.5h
On the texture, i used weight maps, no UVmaps involved. Bubbles are hypervoxels. Scales are procedurals.

Iain
12-17-2008, 04:32 AM
I found some pictures of this undersea restaurant and decided to copy it.

Room, tables and lamps modelled in about 40 minutes. I ran out of time doing the chairs so just used stock models. Glass, cutlery etc are all stock too.

colkai
12-17-2008, 05:27 AM
now wait, that is the render? :stumped: You folks with talent really annoy me you know! ;) :p

art
12-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Iain, will you write a book "1001 tips and tricks - lighting and texturing"? I'll buy it. ;)
You could probably co-author it with a few other experts on this forum.

JeffrySG
12-17-2008, 08:05 AM
now wait, that is the render? :stumped: You folks with talent really annoy me you know! ;) :p

Yeah, um, that really doesn't look like a render. When I first saw it I said, well... why doesn't he post the render instead of the photo! lol!

Really nice job, Iain! :thumbsup:
I love all of your work but this one really has a photo-real look for some reason. Is the underwater scene a photo background?

thekho
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi again!

Modeling done in 10 mins! And then Texturing, Lighting and Rendering setup done in about 40 mins!

Iain
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Is the underwater scene a photo background?

Yes and it matched the lighting from DPont's sunsky plug in without any tweaking.

Actually, that's all there is to the lighting. A light with no shadows enabled, Sunsky and FG radiosity.

Thanks for the comments. :thumbsup:

Axis3d
12-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Modeling done in about 15 minutes. Scene setup took a little under an hour, though. All Lightwave.

JeffrySG
12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Modeling done in about 15 minutes. Scene setup took a little under an hour, though. All Lightwave.

Really nice job! It kind of has a PIXAR feel to me! :) :thumbsup:

Axis3d
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks,jeffrySG
I would like to spend more time on the mesh and the textures. I slapped on a few nodes and that was about it. I did take some inspiration from the jellyfish sequence in Finding Nemo, though.

KillMe
12-18-2008, 10:27 AM
hmmmmm jellyfish - added some to my image for the hell of it 25 odd mins on the the jelly fish - though started out as a quick modeling challenge actually starting to like the image

your jellyfish render also inspired me with putting particles in the water and some sun ray types things too - gonna post on the gallery i think

hope you like

Silverbeam
12-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Killme: Don't supposed you would do a tutorial on the rendering/scene with he bubbles/ and underwater effect?

KillMe
12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
lol first time i ever been asked to do a tutorial =)

dont think it warrents a full tutorial but basics are this;

1. fog set and colour and play with it until the depth the fog works to looks about right

2. shove in a water surface with somewaves etc set angle of incedence on tranparency so that edge on its less tranparent

3. put in a sky plane or dome and set its fog effect to 0% ( this mans dispiute its beign miels behind the depth of the fog it still shows up and can be seen through the tranparent bits of the waves but as distance under the water increases the fog level will obscure it because of the water surface object is subject to increased fog with distance

4. throw in some particle emiiters - i put in one large emitted covering the majoriny of the scene underwater filled it with about 10000 static particles and put the default sprite - make sure they are affected by all lights in teh scene or the main light if it covers them all and size till they look right - might want to turn the fog level on them down abit so maybe 50%

5. small localised particle emitters with some upward movement ( not needed for stills but makes placement nice and easy and add hypvoxerl solid on it with preset glass surface ( not perfect but does the job )

6. Volumetric distant light ( sprite mode normally more than adaquate ) add a procedural texture and make it nice and streaky looking

7. populate scene with underwater stuff

tutorial complete - sure others have some things to add - as i stole alot of from the first jellyfish image =) didn't think to do the volumetric light and lots of sprites till i saw his image

IMI
12-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Excellent entries everyone! :thumbsup:

Looks like the judge fell asleep somewhere though...

Iain
12-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Excellent entries everyone! :thumbsup:

Looks like the judge fell asleep somewhere though...

Adaaaaam?

adamredwoods
12-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Adaaaaam?

Oh, am I the judge? Someone needs to tell me these things! Crack the whip...

*OKAY! Time's up!*
Great entries from everyone. I thought it was a difficult topic. JCG, KillMe and Iain had great twists on the topic, very humorous, but the winner would be:
Pamela G. Juust here http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=794323&postcount=2

The model was very well done. The folds to the base of the helmet harness really added authenticity.

Great job from everyone, keep them rolling! These contests will keep your skills sharp!

RollerJesus
12-19-2008, 02:20 PM
One shot, one kill. I like your style...

Nice model, congrats!

Toby147
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
:agree:

Very excellent model, Pamela!! Congratulations!

And great job to everyone!! Fantastic! :thumbsup:

colkai
12-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Well Done Pamela - worthy winner. :)

KillMe
12-20-2008, 04:07 AM
yeah easily the most intricate and accurate piece of modeling done - congrats pamela

Pamela G. Juust
12-20-2008, 07:11 AM
thanks. i love these challenges.
killme, your mines rocked.