PDA

View Full Version : I need a "GLOW" filter. Please help

JerryPowell
12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I need a filter for my projects that will allow my clips to have a "glow" or "dreamy" effect. I have used BobT "bloom" but right now his filters do not work in the latest Speededit 5.2 update. I need a filter ASAP for a project.

Is there a way to create a glow filter with Speededit/VT ??? Is ther a third party product that would work in the latest SE update? Please help if you can.

Jerry

SBowie
12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
You can mimic a glow with Shadow settings, but "bloom" is actually more than just a simple glow. You could likely get a little closer to a bloom using color correction, and maybe just a smidgen of blur.

mvansomeren
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Bob's "Bloom" effect plugin may be what you're looking for. I believe you can download a trial version:

http://www.bobfx.com/

joseburgos
12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
You can mimic a glow with Shadow settings, but "bloom" is actually more than just a simple glow. You could likely get a little closer to a bloom using color correction, and maybe just a smidgen of blur.
**Take this to the next level

Burgosfx Bloom effect:
Make a duplicate layer of the original clip and place below the original.
Use luma keyer color picker on SE Video monitor (not positioning window) and choose the color of the clip you want to be the "center" color of your bloom.
Enable Luma keyer.
Now change the key tolerance to a negative value of one (-1).
View your position window and make sure show all layers are not enabled.
Adjust your negative value to allow more or less of the portion you want to bloom (depends on clip but I have gone as high as -125).
Adjust key smoothness to a higher value to smooth the key but not too much (12-15 seem good for most starting values).
Now go to the blur branch and give it about 7-12 blur on X and Y (But you can go higher later).
Next, go to the color correction branch and increase brightness to say 200.
Now enable overlay on the luma key/duplicate clip.

More adjustments can be made by;
Increasing the luma as well as taking the saturation to zero (for white bloom) or to 2.0 for more of a color bloom.
Increase blur values to give more bloom.
Increase Key Smoothness.
Also the layer alpha value can be lowered to decrease the over all effect.

Here is a before and after example using a little of my bloom effect;
http://www.burgosfx.com/bloom/bloom.htm

Hope that works for you as it has always worked for me.
FYI: This "duplicate clip keying" process has many other uses.

PS Fell free to ask questions as this is one of those. better learned via a video lesson on learn alien but I don't have the time right now.

Take care,

billmi
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice technique Jose :-)

That's one for the toolshed.

joseburgos
12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks bill.
There are so many "looks" you can get from doing this.
Like use chroma and not luma for a color on the face for "soft" look.
Then play with settings.
You could also blur the background/original clip and not the keyed/overlay clip.
Increase key smooth though to make it look good.

This technique is what I use to fake loss of conversion (r, g & b) using three copies of the clip.

Have fun,

Dufusyte
12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
This "duplicate clip keying" process has many other uses.
And if SE had blend modes, is would be even more useful.