PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator convert to.... How?

Dodgy
12-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Hiya,

does anyone know how I can convert .ai files to something else, preferably free? Not being a rich person, or wanting to spend huge amounts of money on stuff I use rarely, I do get .ai files sent to me occasionally, but Open Office Draw, Inkscape or any other of the numerous packages I use will not read .ai files above 8. Anyone know of anything that does?

Thanks,
Mike

Silkrooster
12-11-2008, 12:28 AM
If your clients did not change the default set up for illustrator, then the ai files will have an embedded pdf file. Which you may have have luck in converting.
Illustrator can save or export to the following formats:
ai, pdf, dxf, dwg, bmp, emf, swf, jpg, pct, psd, png, tga, txt, tif, wmf, eps, svg, svgz

It can also save to older versions of eps and ai.

Perhaps one of the above could be used if you asked them. Though some formats don't do justice to the original document.
Silk

safetyman
12-11-2008, 05:29 AM
If the Illustrator file was saved with "create PDF compatible" checked, all you have to do is change the filename from .ai to .pdf and Adobe Reader will open it. Not saying it will be 100% useable (depends on the file), but Adobe made all .ai files a type of pdf format since CS1, I believe. Files prior to that, you can just change the .ai to .eps and see if it's readable in something that can open .eps files.

archijam
12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Not shure if it is the development build of Inkscape (0.46) I am using that does it, but it imports .ai-files (v9 and above).

Confirmed-skies - OSX (X11-intel) version 0.46.
Tested with a relatively simple file, but recongises dashed line styles, thicknesses etc.

However, everything was grouped together, which presumably means layers are not so pretty ...

Matt
12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
.ai files above v8 are in fact PDFs. Try changing the extension as suggested, _might_ work.

Silkrooster
12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
.ai files above v8 are in fact PDFs. Try changing the extension as suggested, _might_ work.

Thats what i thought, but if you disable the embedded pdf, the ai file will not load in Adobe Acrobat.
Silk

JeffrySG
12-11-2008, 08:20 PM
In any production work that I do I always turn off the PDF compatibility option because it drastically increases the size of the Illustrator files (especially files that have bitmaps placed). So not all AI files will have the PDF option.

Dodgy
12-11-2008, 11:48 PM
It seems most packages that do try and import ai use that embedded PDF, so it appears if I don't have the pdf, I'm rogered. Thanks anyway guys.

JeffrySG
12-12-2008, 07:33 AM
It seems most packages that do try and import ai use that embedded PDF, so it appears if I don't have the pdf, I'm rogered. Thanks anyway guys.

Mike, if there are a few files that you need converted, I'd be more than happy to export them for you as another format. Just PM me.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
What format would you like the .AI file converted to?

kopperdrake
12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Dodgy, same here for converting ai files. If you have a few just email me them and let me know what format you need. Just PM me so I get your email address.

Dodgy
12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys, that's very kind :)