PDA

View Full Version : VT 5.2, 5.2b Poor Quicktime Recording Performance

anyheck
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I've used VT 5.0 extensively recording to Quicktime DV/DVCPRO in a custom profile to specify this codec. No problems recording and playing back, switching between videos in different DDRs etc.

I upgraded to 5.2 and now 5.2b and am experiencing the problem that when I'm playing back a video and recording it in the program out, the playback begins to stutter after a few seconds. If I switch the playing back video to the preview, the stuttering goes away after a few seconds.

5.2 and 5.2b are equally effected.

The stuttering only happens if I'm recording, not if I'm just doing a play-out to program out.

It seems not to happen if I record to AVI-DV Type2, even with play-out from Quicktime DV that I recorded previously.

I'm working off a 4-drive RAID0 and ran a disk performance tool on there to make sure there wasn't some sort of a bottle neck in IO. The RAID is only 30% full.

Seems like some sort of a buffer under-run specific to Quicktime recording.

Quicktime version is 7.5.5 which I think was installed with the VT5.2.

Any suggestions are appreciated, as we do our editing in final cut and so the Direct-to-MOV recording saves a lot of headache of transcoding or whatever. The AVI Type2's work also without transcoding, but not quite as seamlessly.

Thanks,
Sten

UPDATE: I found this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89688 and was wondering if it's possible to change back to the 'Newtek Quicktime' so to speak, other than a Re-install of VT 5.0?

Paul Lara
12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
...was wondering if it's possible to change back to the 'Newtek Quicktime' so to speak, other than a Re-install of VT 5.0?

I don't believe that's possible, since we replaced our QuickTime engine with Apple's.

SBowie
12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I seem to remember someone (John, maybe?) posting a suggestion to the effect that in some cases, falsifying the file extension would throw the file back to the native file reader. I don't know if this would work, but it moight be worth looking into. (A search here on the word "extension" might turn something up ...)

ScorpioProd
12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
John talked about doing this to restore support for DVCPRO 50.

Try renaming your QT to AVI, that will force SE to use its own decoder.

Let us know what happens.

anyheck
12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
John talked about doing this to restore support for DVCPRO 50.

Try renaming your QT to AVI, that will force SE to use its own decoder.

Let us know what happens.

Well it definitely plays the files. Haven't yet had time to do enough testing to see if it solves the problem.

Would it be possible to just associate the .mov files back to some part of the VT5 suite using windows? I know it's a bunch of little apps, so which one could I use? That is essentially what I'm doing by renaming them as AVIs I think (?).

I'll report back about the success or failure of the renaming trick.

Regards,
Sten

kevpatt
04-16-2009, 04:38 PM
See this thread.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90418