PDA

View Full Version : I need some MDD advice, simple question.

4dartist
12-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I have a strap that I animated using 'Dangle' the Worley labs plugin. It's in my PPC 9.3.1 LW. I want to render in my UB 9.3.1 LW. Since the 'Dangle' plugin doesn't work in UB, i had to do it in PPC. Now to transfer the motion of the straps, I figured I would just output a .mdd file like I do with cloth and stuff. But alas I can't get it to work...

I made a simple test scene, loaded a sphere, added displacement, cue up MD_SCAN in the deform tab, then save the file location, hit 'ok'. Then it seems to scan the frames really fast, and I look and no file was written, even though, now MD_scan shows the path location and file name. What am I missing? I read the manual and it says to do just that..

I've tried this, in 9.3.1UB, 9.3.1PPC, 9.3UB. No luck.. seems it's probably user error, but can't find my error.

Any help?

4dartist
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Well thank god for clothfx and the 'scan motion' button... I can save the .mdd file that way and load it that way too. I must be missing the point on md_scan, i figured it would work just like the scan motion in the cloth fx... Well either way, this is going to work. Joy.

daforum
12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I find MD scan is useful for scanning the motion of figures walking/ running. Then I can make clones and offset the animation to create crowd scenes from the same mdd file.