PDA

View Full Version : if orthographic renders are not possible in 8

jin choung
08-08-2003, 03:18 PM
i swear to god....

at the very least, it would be a matter of simply letting us specify orthographic in the cameras that we create....

it CAN'T be that hard.

fix it.

jin

JohnL
08-10-2003, 04:08 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Let us render from any viewport.

Why should this be an issue in the year 2003?

ren_at_home
08-13-2003, 10:14 AM
well said

Earl
08-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Agreed - Orthographic cameras are a must for engineering schematics.

Panikos
08-13-2003, 05:35 PM
One more time, out of the many I asked before ...

Add Special Projection Engine to the rendering core code, without the restriction mentioned in

http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

wacom
08-14-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm sure you've all done this before, but I just found a quick fix/dirty fix for this problem. It sounds more complicated that it is...

When using real lenses the more "zoom" you have on the lenses the flater things appear (IE closer to orthographic) and the more towards "fisheye" you get the more space and dimension you give things. OK...so what does this mean for LW users?

Well it turns out that if you move your camera WAY far away from objects and then zoom into them in Layout you'll get what is for all appearances looks like an Orthographic view.

To get this to work you need to do a couple of things first:

Shrink down your building/scene to something like 1/100th of it's real size. This makes it easier to deal with in Layout once you get going with the camera.

Next put the pivot point of your main building or a null in the dead center of the building or objects.

Make a HUGE motion path out of a disc (use K to kill the poly and then make a Curve out of the points). The center of the disc should be the same as the pivot point of the key object/ building. Give it as many points as you'll be needing for view points. This should be something like 18km in diameter if your model is something like 10m high. The disk needs to also be at the same height on the Y axis as the pivot point in your main object to help us achieve the ortho look. Save this curve as a motion path.

Send all of this stuff over to layout. In layout use any camera and make the building or center null the target point for it. Next load the motion path to the camera. Open up the Camera properties panel and ZOOOM in until you get the everything in view.

Now move along the time line 'till you hit the angle you want and press F9. You should get something like the pics I have bellow.

I'll include my object files and scene file for better reference. Sorry that the images look so bad...and the models aren't much, but I just did them to illustrate my point...

gook luck!
:)

wacom
08-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Here are the files... so you can see what I was getting at...

Maybe one of you guys could do a MUCH cooler render for the little tut?

Tell me what you think...am I way off on this?

jin choung
08-14-2003, 06:15 PM
yah,

we know. if you use insane zooms on the lens, you minimize perspective effects like in real life.

but it DOES NOT REMOVE THEM altogether.

there are several excellent plugins out there that help with this cheat process but they still involve a little bit of inaccuracy and i've noticed that it actually DISTORTS objects a bit taller or wider (don't remember) than what orthographically it should be.

dammit, it's it's the 21st century... lw should have REAL ORTHO RENDERS already!

jin

wacom
08-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jin choung
yah,

we know. if you use insane zooms on the lens, you minimize perspective effects like in real life.

but it DOES NOT REMOVE THEM altogether.

there are several excellent plugins out there that help with this cheat process but they still involve a little bit of inaccuracy and i've noticed that it actually DISTORTS objects a bit taller or wider (don't remember) than what orthographically it should be.

dammit, it's it's the 21st century... lw should have REAL ORTHO RENDERS already!

jin

I'm not saying that orthographic renders don't need to be put in...just that this is a fix for those who have no choice 'till it happens.

I also think that there is very little distortion when doing left/right/front/back views in this mode. I couldn't really tell the diffrence between the object in Modeler and in Layout...but I don't have the best eyes (see the image).

Rendering in any view port makes the most sense for this problem...oh NEWTEK where are you...

Matt
08-14-2003, 06:56 PM
rendering in viewports would be better than what we have now, but what happens when you want to render for print?

you need to be able to render the camera in ortho so you can change the settings to high res'.

matt

wacom
08-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Matt
rendering in viewports would be better than what we have now, but what happens when you want to render for print?

you need to be able to render the camera in ortho so you can change the settings to high res'.

matt

Well when I used to use MAX you could select the view/camera you wanted to render from and then change the resolution for a render- just like we do now for the camera except it worked in any view. Sorry if it sounded like just rendering at the current viewport res- that's not what I meant at all. Sorry...

wacom
08-14-2003, 07:23 PM
OK...this is my last post (hey don't cheer!) in this thread...but I just wanted to ask if people have used "Pview" it's a great plugin and it'll let you do ISO stuff in any view port at any res...seems to work good...read the directions too...

Panikos
08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Wacom, usually people that are asking such features are aware of workarounds or cheats.

The point here is :

God damn it, why the **** my favourite software doesnt have this essential feature ?
Why do I have to do so much extra work to get something that other software have it ?
If I count the times I asked for this, from the old forums and here,
it will be more than 50.

Add a Special Projection Engine !!!!
Anybody reads ? Maybe no, they are all playing with falling dominoes
:mad:

labuzz
08-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Yes we really need it...It's really important for manage projections more easely ( textures...)......Again look at MTOR coord ( I can look thru, I have control on aspect ratio and see it in viewports, I can render...)system:mad:

faulknermano
08-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Panikos
Wacom, usually people that are asking such features are aware of workarounds or cheats.

wacom, this is the lesson i learned from the feature requests forum. not that this true: i've seen a lot of people get good advice / revelation from pointing to features or workarounds. some people are looking for solutions, but people dont want to hear about workarounds. it's hard to find out which.. so as a general rule, it's best to either request a feature, or bemoan our sad state of affairs.

The point here is :

God damn it, why the **** my favourite software doesnt have this essential feature ?
Why do I have to do so much extra work to get something that other software have it ?
If I count the times I asked for this, from the old forums and here,
it will be more than 50.

Add a Special Projection Engine !!!!
Anybody reads ? Maybe no, they are all playing with falling dominoes
:mad:

are you complaining about lw7.5 or about the upcoming lw8.0? a watched pot doesnt boil. :D

Panikos
08-17-2003, 04:08 PM
LW[8] :(

Earl
09-18-2003, 09:10 AM
This deserves a BUMP. Since Orthographic rendering has been neglected for so long in LightWave.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11012

Just a reminder to NewTek regarding how many people that want to use LightWave for engineering or technical illustrations (or game level illustrations), but who can't because of the lack of a basic rendering feature.

Thanks! :cool:

Matt
09-18-2003, 09:28 AM
yep, it's about time NewTek, bottom line - no hacks, no plugins, no lscripts, built-in and rock solid please . . .

:)

Earl
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Nice screenie Matt. :D

That's exactly where it will go too... (I say WILL because NewTek NEEDS to address this)

facial deluxe
09-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Earl
Agreed - Orthographic cameras are a must for engineering schematics.

...And a must for fashion motion graphic :rolleyes: