PDA

View Full Version : quicktime compressions

Andyjaggy
12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Okay I finally decided h.264 sucks. Washed out blacks and desaturated colors. So to all you video guys out there what codec do you guys use to compress your quicktimes?

crashnburn
12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I get good results from sorenson, not the best compression, but the quality is nice.

The Dommo
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Why use Quicktime at all? The codecs are far from the best, often slow, and it has a very inefficient player.

Why not use a non-Quicktime H264 codec or use WMV which we find to be pretty excellent, and fast to encode.

biliousfrog
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
264 is pretty good, it's not so good when exporting from after effects without legacy gamma selected...that's when you get washed out blacks.

I'm exporting from AE with QT - photo-jpeg, open in QT Pro and export to H.264. No gamma issues at all.

I personally prefer QT over AVI or WMV (although I recently had to use WMV and it was quite good) because you can scrub the timeline and clients are more likely to have QT codecs than decent AVI codecs. I'll certainly start to look into WMV's more though.

The Dommo
12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
AVI's can be an issue because of people not having codecs, yes, the same as Quicktime. QT is a pain in the *** because this 'cross-platorm' player has different codecs for both video and audio on Mac and PC.

WMV has been around for many years, and should be backwards compatible with older media players to at least Media Player 7. The options in the free Pro sections of WMV encoding will give you everything you need if you aren't already covered.

Andyjaggy
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
well I get the gamma issue when exporting from AE, and when exporting from QT Pro. Photo Jpeg looks pretty good but it's pretty large. Same with Sorenson.

I generally avoid AVI because it seems ever time I try to view one I never have the right codec, so I assume most other people won't either.

biliousfrog
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
have you tried enabling legacy gamma in AE project settings?

Photo-jpeg is very large but I find that it exports nicely and the export to H.264 from QT pro keeps the gamma settings the same. It's an extra step but I find that it works.

I wasn't aware of the QT codecs being different across platforms.

SonicMotion
12-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't export h.264 out of after effects, i've never had luck with that. Export something else, like photo jpeg or prores. then use quicktime or compressor to encode an h.264 version. Looks great for me.

Andyjaggy
12-08-2008, 11:31 AM
No I haven't, I'll give it a try.

Andyjaggy
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
It helped a little bit, but the blacks still wash out. The AVI I tried looked fantastic.