PDA

View Full Version : How to make smooth edges??

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm trying to make some kind of cloud object (that I need to export to maya later) with spheres and I want te edges to be smooth. How do I do this?

:help:

JeffrySG
12-08-2008, 08:48 AM
You could do a boolian, then merge points, then do a CC subdivision at level 1, then freeze. You'll end up with all quads that you can use subdivision surfaces on. See file... steps are in the layers. I started with 8x8 spheres.

Andrewstopheles
12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
It is a surface property - in layout select the object, open the surface panel and check "smoothing".

Unless you're looking for subpatches....

In that case in modeler select the object and just hit the TAB key. Converts to subpatches. At the bottom of your screen you can toggle between LW Subpatches and CC Subpatches. That's another subject...!

grn
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
How about freezing metaballs ? Not perfectly smooth but perhaps could fit your needs ? The resolution can be changed from the general options. ..

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2008, 09:31 AM
no that's not whatI mean Andrewstopheles... I was looking for some easy way to get something that looks like the thing Jeffry sugested....

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
The problem is that the edges need to be super smooth. But with most solutions you end up with messed up edges

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I did this with displacement. But it's to high poly and reducing couses triagles to stretch and mess up the edges again....

geothefaust
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
JeffrySG's method is the best way to achieve this.

I had to do something like that some time ago, and honestly, it was the only real solution I could find that worked and wasn't a PITA with out modeling all of the geometry.

archijam
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Jin was rambling (meant affectionately) somewhere around here that a nurbs based modeler like Rhino is what you need to do accurate/large fillets of this kind ...

3DGFXStudios
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I was thinking about doing it with nurbs in maya but I never used nurbs so that would be also a time consuming job...

archijam
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I did a quick search and found it .. this thread (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71909) seems to be very similar to what you want to do .. was a little inconclusive tho.

Would be great if you could do it with HV's or metaballs and then freeze it ... if it's smooth enough, ie. no edge, your freezing problem shouldn't matter when you reduce geometry.

inakito
12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Can you not just use hypervoxels textured onto null objects?

3DGFXStudios
12-10-2008, 05:05 AM
I need to kick it to maya. So HV is no option....

biliousfrog
12-10-2008, 05:53 AM
is there a demo of ZBrush available?...ZSpheres would be able to do that I think.

archijam
12-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Made your object in rhino - will post screenshots of process when I reboot into OSX ;)

Doesn't help too much with your basic problem. It's just not something I'd do with LW - perfect for spline/nurbs-based modelling.

Attached - rhino (don't look too close) and resulting low-poly LWO (not optimized).

Tools used:
Sphere
Intersect
Pipe
Split
Blendsrf

Exception
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Uhm its been said before... three times... METABALLS :)
It's what they're for. I feel sad for them as this is exactly what they're made for but the one time in the history of mankind they can actually be useful... they're not being used...

these poor but awesome non-destructive multi-res freezable adorable little churnies!

Then again maybe they're not so hot if you need to export them. Freezing metaballs... well give it a shot.

3DGFXStudios
12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I tried metaballs but it didn't work. The triagles make the model ugly when freezed.
Also tried BG conform....that worked pretty well. But now I ended up doing it in maya using booleans and some other stuff and it looks ok. THNX guys
The nurbs models frome rhino are possibly a good way to model it too

geothefaust
12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah, metaballs! lol

I forgot about those. You could use metaballs, freeze the mesh, and then retopologize your mesh. That should work.

archijam
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Before you go the Rhino path .. it's not that easy, I'm just a sucker for punishment :)

Screens: