12-07-2008, 01:07 AM
to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I feel good now.

Happy Holidays

akademus
12-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Nice...
Everyone needs some warmth occasionally. Human connection of any kind.
It's shot in Sydney btw :)

hrgiger
12-07-2008, 06:29 AM
That's nice. I'm curious to see all the video though. I think the beginning of the video where people seem wary of the guy is typical. People are very distrustful in general (and probably many have given them good reason). There have been experiments done that show how hard it is even to give away free dollar bills to people. It's sad that our culture has made people wary enough to not take a dollar bill, the assumption being there must be some kind of catch.

bobakabob
12-07-2008, 11:46 AM
That's nice. I'm curious to see all the video though. I think the beginning of the video where people seem wary of the guy is typical. People are very distrustful in general (and probably many have given them good reason). There have been experiments done that show how hard it is even to give away free dollar bills to people. It's sad that our culture has made people wary enough to not take a dollar bill, the assumption being there must be some kind of catch.

Agreed, a thought provoking film and curious to watch people's reactions.

Not wishing to derail the thread, here's another video perspective entitled "I sure could use a hug right now" which contains some remarkable CGI. Anyone else seen the films of Fred and Sharon Spencer?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X7V8z9Mi330

PS If you liked that check this out :)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0sR5_NTFo&feature=related

Hopper
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

I feel good now.

Happy Holidays
And just think... when that guy got home, he had 19 wallets, 4 watches, two bracelets, and a ring.

Mike Borjon
12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hahaha . . . wasn't quite thinking that when I saw it. But funny none the less.

Mike Borjon
12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Just in case you're interested in how it all started:

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

Iain
12-07-2008, 12:58 PM
It's sad that our culture has made people wary enough to not take a dollar bill, the assumption being there must be some kind of catch.

Our culture makes us all too aware of why people might be giving away dollar bills. For their own self promotion or profit.

It's not sad that we're cynical of this is it?

hrgiger
12-07-2008, 03:18 PM
It's not sad that we're cynical of this is it?

No, I just meant sad that there is such a large force to make us cynical of such things. Geesh, I would never argue against cynicism.

Matt
12-08-2008, 02:27 AM
I need a hug :(

Oedo 808
12-08-2008, 06:21 AM

Well let's try a warm and fuzzy spin on it, perhaps people suspect that someone giving away money might be a bit mental, and just don't want to take advantage of them by taking their money.

Come on now gather round, group hug, group hug!

-EsHrA-
12-08-2008, 06:27 AM
i need one right now!...

mlon

biliousfrog
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I must admit that I rolled my eyes a bit when it first started but actually felt quite emotional by the end. Nice video and nice sentiment.

Regarding the dollar bills thing, several times I've given money to charity stalls who are selling raffle tickets and refused the tickets only to be treated like I've gone insane...it says a lot when even charities don't believe in charity.

Iain
12-09-2008, 03:18 AM
I just wondered why no-one reacted like the guy who ran away from Borat.

That still cracks me up.

colkai
12-09-2008, 06:45 AM
several times I've given money to charity stalls who are selling raffle tickets and refused the tickets only to be treated like I've gone insane...it says a lot when even charities don't believe in charity.

Heh, come to Stafford, we'll happily take your donations, always make sure we say thank you though. :)

I know what you mean though, it's amazing that kindness and warmth are treated with suspicion by so many.

That said, if that was Claudia Schiffer handing out hugs, the queue would of been a mile long. :D

adamredwoods
12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
That said, if that was Claudia Schiffer handing out hugs, the queue would of been a mile long. :D

I wouldn't be giving her just a hug...

Liber777
12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
i need one right now!...

A dollar?

Medi8or
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
A dollar?You selling hugs for a dollar?

Liber777
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, like I tell the kids about drugs; the first one is always free.

(:

colkai
12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't be giving her just a hug...

oh yus, man, she has always been droolworthy :)

doimus
12-11-2008, 05:03 AM
This free hug thing always gets me in the "read between the lines" mood... I bet those free hug givers are unsatisfied control freaks and/or attention whores who cry themselves to sleep each night when they think of all the people that don't think of them.

Why should average human accept a hug (or anything) from a complete stranger. That's the privilege that should be reserved for family/friends/people we trust.
The fact that someone needs a hug doesn't mean that hug should be received by all means necessary. It just means that person has work hard to have someone that DESERVES the privilege to exchange hugs with.

For a proof of that go and try to exchange free hugs with a rottweiler in your nearest back yard.

Edit:
But supermodel free hugs are okay, I guess.

Titus
12-11-2008, 07:23 AM
This free hug thing always gets me in the "read between the lines" mood... I bet those free hug givers are unsatisfied control freaks and/or attention whores who cry themselves to sleep each night when they think of all the people that don't think of them.

Why should average human accept a hug (or anything) from a complete stranger. That's the privilege that should be reserved for family/friends/people we trust.

Try searching about the free hug movement. This guy started one day when he was feeling a little depressed.

Every society is different, I've noticed in every country we have different needs for personal space. In Latin America we need less space to feel confortable than others and even in some countries people don't have any problem talking, dancing or hugging a stranger.

colkai
12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
supermodel free hugs are okay, I guess.

Whaddya mean "I guess"? :p
Hubba hubba time I reckon. :D