PDA

View Full Version : Norton and the Hub

A.Russell
08-08-2003, 12:26 PM
I can't get Lightwave's hub to work. It has been hinted at that Norton Antivirus might be the cause, but I can't find anything about how to configure it properly.

I've done a search on this site with the word "noton" and it came up with zero results.

Anyone know how to do it?

illusory
08-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Do you have Win 2000 or XP? I have win 2000 and the hub works fine for me...but i do seem to recall having more problems before I disabled "automatic live update" which was causing all sorts of problems (NAV tech support admitted theres a bug in it which makes it think it needs updating when it doesn't). There's no problem with "auto-protect" against viruses, and the hub, but i do the updates manually now.

just a thought,
NJ

Skonk
08-08-2003, 02:43 PM
I have WinXP Pro with NAV2003 and i have no problems, what exactly is going wrong with the hub? also do u have a firewall installed? this is much more likely to cause a problem than an antivirus app.

James.

A.Russell
08-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Yes, I have Norton intrnet security. There is a firewall. Will I have to turn it off every time I use Lightwave?

What happens now is, Modeler takes a ridiculously long time to start up.

kenmac
08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5380&highlight=norton

This will help.
KenMac

sculptactive
08-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Or this...

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/32776.html?

In fact any search in the old forum with the word norton in it will explain all.

neuromancer78
08-08-2003, 09:19 PM
I have WinXP and Norton Systemworks 2003 and I have never experianced any problems with Modeler or the Hub. The ONLY times I ever have problems with the hub is on very rare occasions it can't find Modeler or Layout but that problem is fixed when I just open the exe's themselves. In fact just to prove my point - I tried just now to open them, and the Launch was empty. This happens because I don't have the hub start on startup. So what I do is have Modeler and Layout in my Start menu and load them both up, close them and then go to the Hub and open them both up. Works fine after that.

Then again I usually have my system running all hours so this only happens when I crash, or do a hard reboot. Besides I never really use the Hub to launch Lightwave, I have icons on the desktop and in the Start menu.

But as for the Hub not working by itself - that I have never experianced. It may not work right ALL the time on my system but it can be fixed real easy and it usually works fine.

A.Russell
08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Hey, thanks everyone.

Setting those ports in Norton worked (or appears to be, I'll have to try it out for a bit).