PDA

View Full Version : whats the secret to Loading Video clips?

JEFFilm
12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I just went from Lightwave 5 to 8.5 (that came with my VT 5.0).

I use to load video clips all the time in 5.0 and so far I've been unable to figure out how to load a video clip as a background in 8.5?

If I remember correctly there used to be a compositing screen that came up where you could select a background to load? In my case, the video clip (and the type of file I should be using is? iff avi?)

What's the secret that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Traveler
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Unless I misunderstand, what you're looking for is under menuitem 'Compositing Options'. I'm not sure anymore if the menu layout has changed after lw8 but in Layout it's under windows -> Compositing Options. (ctrl-f7) Then next to background image select [load image] and then select your movieclip.

JEFFilm
12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Unless I misunderstand, what you're looking for is under menuitem 'Compositing Options'. I'm not sure anymore if the menu layout has changed after lw8 but in Layout it's under windows -> Compositing Options. (ctrl-f7) Then next to background image select [load image] and then select your movieclip.

When I hit F7 the compositing options comes up (effects).

Next to Background image I select Load - then I select my clip which is an avi.
Nothing loads.

?

After Background image I have NONE and Load. But No clip name (this is after I select the avi to load).

Do I need to change the avi clip to another type before loading?

Surrealist.
12-07-2008, 06:52 AM
As far as I remember when you load a video clip it does not automatically load the first frame of the sequence. I think you need to go to the Image Editor and change the file type to image sequence. I am running a simulation right now or I'd check it. Been a while since I loaded an avi. But that is what you have to do for still sequences to get it to load more than the first still for the animation.

THREEL
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
As far as I remember when you load a video clip it does not automatically load the first frame of the sequence. I think you need to go to the Image Editor and change the file type to image sequence. I am running a simulation right now or I'd check it. Been a while since I loaded an avi. But that is what you have to do for still sequences to get it to load more than the first still for the animation.

Yep... Then you have a beginning frame slider and an ending frame slider, oh and frame # boxes (me thinks) to tell it how much of the video you want as your background image (s).

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

Stooch
12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
the trick to video clips is not to use them. you want to use image sequences, i use jpgs because they are less of a hit on the network when streaming. but you could use targas too, that way lw doesnt have to decompress on the fly.

also you wont see them until you go into display options and ensure that the camera background is set to bg image.