PDA

View Full Version : Dumb questions - why don't sprite hypervoxel reflect?

DonJMyers
12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
It looks like the surface HVs reflect but sprites don't. I'm afraid to even ask about pixie dust. Am I missing something? I took a rendered lens flare, put it on a hv sprite as a clip, and it doesn't reflect.

Any ideas? I'm using 9.5.

Surrealist.
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
I can't say 100% because I have not used sprites to reflect. But I can say with just about everything else Sprites are not really intended for production use. They are just a quick and dirty way to get an effect with limited use. They cause problems with shadows is one thing I know for sure. My bet would be use volume to get reflections.

SplineGod
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I use sprites all the time in production and I know a lot of others who do. Typically you end up having to do the reflections as a comp.

DonJMyers
12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Problem solved and I can go on to the magic twinkle trail.

Sekhar
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I just did a quick example and the reflection seems to be working fine for me (9.5.1 1515 64 bit), see below. I'm also attaching the scene file so you can check on your version. Unless I misunderstood your question...

Stooch
12-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I can't say 100% because I have not used sprites to reflect. But I can say with just about everything else Sprites are not really intended for production use. They are just a quick and dirty way to get an effect with limited use. They cause problems with shadows is one thing I know for sure. My bet would be use volume to get reflections.

yeah im using 90% sprites for a full feature animation (with reflections and shadows). what gave you that crazy idea?

Richard Hebert
12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Stooch,

Can't really comment on the sprites at the moment but I absolutely love your Avatar! Hit the funny bone pretty hard!

Richard

Stooch
12-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Stooch,

Can't really comment on the sprites at the moment but I absolutely love your Avatar! Hit the funny bone pretty hard!

Richard

LOL. glad it made you laugh, its not actually photoshopped (well not entirely) its actually a persian white cats face. i always thought they looked like car accident victims lol.