PDA

View Full Version : No visible layers were found.

Herm
12-05-2008, 01:37 AM
I have been working on my 3d animation project that is due in a couple of weeks. Over the last few days I invested hours on my star ship corridors in which a lot of the action is happening. My object has it's own scene file with some lighting and textured up and all I needed was to bring in the scene files of the characters to begin animating.

I open layout and my scene file and I get the message no visible layers were found. I close out of layout and opened modeler and puller up my scene file. What is there is only pixels, no polygons what so ever. Has anyone encountered this problem before. If so am I hosed?

Tobian
12-05-2008, 02:51 AM
If you've been using the layer editor in Modeler (f7) you may have disabled the layer (the column with the little eye) - re-enable it and you can import your layers again.

Layout won't import layers which have been disabled as you may be using them for templates or 'scratch' layers, and so you don't want them in the scene.

Herm
12-05-2008, 03:03 AM
That didn't work. All is left in modeler for my object file is just pixels. When I saved incremental the size of the object went from 1.3 mb down to over 300k. It is as though everything is gone.

Tobian
12-05-2008, 03:12 AM
When you say 'pixels' I take it you mean points? Oh dear, it sounds like you've killed your polygons (k). you'll have to go back to an earlier save :(

That said you can load your objects back into the same scene file, so you haven't lost all your lighting/camera work :)

Surrealist.
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah you can go in and load from layer into the scene if you have to to get the earlier version of the objects.

Another save might be to see if any surface changes you made are still in the saved object with only points. If those surfaces are stlll there - assuming you need them - you can save the surfaces and load them up in the earlier object.

It is entirely possible that saving the object failed. I have had entire pieces of objects in a directory go missing after a power failure. Ouch. But just remember that computer data is never 100% all the time. If you have a HD that is bad or some other interference that may have compromised the data - it can happen -then that is just some bad luck. But if you have some earlier versions of the object there are some workarounds to get you back rolling again.

Good luck with the project.