PDA

View Full Version : Strange bug or something.

Andyjaggy
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Okay I'm not sure what to classify this as. It seems like a bug to me, but not sure.

So you know how you have your default display and render subpatch level, which you can edit by going into the config file, first of all I wish we had a way to change the default within LW, but it seems that will never hapen.

The problem I'm having is even if you have a scene where you have set all the objects to have a subpatch level of one, when you load the scene it appears that it tries to load every object at the default subpatch level of 3, even if the object is set to 1 within the scene. So you get serious memory overload on just loading the objects.

Example. I have a scene where all the objects are set to either a 1 or 2 subpatch level. I open the scene without changing the default levels in the config file and I run out of memory on load. So I open up the config file and change the default to 1 and the scene opens fine. It's like it loads them at the default and then adjusts them according to the setting you have in the scene file, thus running out of memory.

Hopefully that makes sense, I'm horrible at explaining things. So the solution is obviously to set the default level low, but I just want to know why what is going on here.

Surrealist.
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Very clear to me. Probably because I have experienced the same thing. Sounds more like a feature request for Fog Bugz or bring it up in the Beta Forum and see if it gets some attention. I am not sure what it would take to get that implemented but I am going to use your trick about changing it in the config level. I had not thought of that. :)

Andyjaggy
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah and it makes the scenes load way faster too.