PDA

View Full Version : Poser 5 for Mac OS X

mlinde
08-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Curious Labs, the original developer of the 3D people modeling software "Poser" have release the download version of Poser 5 for OS X.

So before the flamethrowers come out, let me say that this software (at it's inexpensive $199/$149 price point) has one good use with Lightwave, and I think of Ade and his 3D architectural rendering he's just done.

Quick, dirty and easy bodies to fill an architectural space. They generate 3D geometry, they cast shadows and receive them, and give "life" to an architectural model without hours of modeling characters.

http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/981/1/48/

dark_lotus
08-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Martin Murphy does amazing things with Poser.

http://www.artsforge.com/martin/murphy.html

www.martinmurphy.ca

Kuzey
08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by dark_lotus
Martin Murphy does amazing things with Poser.

http://www.artsforge.com/martin/murphy.html

www.martinmurphy.ca

He also does amazing things with Lightwave:p

Kuzey

Triple G
08-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
Curious Labs, the original developer of the 3D people modeling software "Poser"

Just to be a nitpicker, I believe the original developer of Poser was a company called Fractal Designs. They folded, and Poser went to Metacreations, who continued its development until they dumped it off on Curious Labs a few years ago. Also, Poser is not a modeling software. According to Curious Labs' site, it is billed as a "3D-character animation and design tool for artists and animators."

Sorry mlinde...not trying to bust your chops, I just wanted to clarify for those who may have been unaware. :)

mlinde
08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Triple G
Just to be a nitpicker, I believe the original developer of Poser was a company called Fractal Designs. They folded, and Poser went to Metacreations, who continued its development until they dumped it off on Curious Labs a few years ago. Also, Poser is not a modeling software. According to Curious Labs' site, it is billed as a "3D-character animation and design tool for artists and animators."

Sorry mlinde...not trying to bust your chops, I just wanted to clarify for those who may have been unaware. :)

bust away. Actually, Fractal Designs purchased the assets and developers of Poser, and when they were acquired by Metacreations it became Metacreations Poser, and when they were broken up and sold, the original developers of Poser took posession of the software again and formed a new company called Curious Labs.

On the other note, Poser does create models that can be exported in a variety of formats. I did not mean to imply it's only use was for modeling, but I do mean to imply that it's easy creation of humanoid models (which can be imported into Lightwave) make it a useful addition to a Lightwave based workflow.

Triple G
08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
bust away. Actually, Fractal Designs purchased the assets and developers of Poser, and when they were acquired by Metacreations it became Metacreations Poser, and when they were broken up and sold, the original developers of Poser took posession of the software again and formed a new company called Curious Labs.

Good call. I should have been more careful with my wording. :)

On the other note, Poser does create models that can be exported in a variety of formats. I did not mean to imply it's only use was for modeling, but I do mean to imply that it's easy creation of humanoid models (which can be imported into Lightwave) make it a useful addition to a Lightwave based workflow.

I was pretty sure that wasn't what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure others knew that too.

erk
08-11-2003, 06:40 PM
One thing to watch out for when getting the Poser 5 MacOS X upgrade, the PlusPack which contains the Lightwave plugin, is still only Poser4 for MacOS 9, it got automatically added to my shopping cart when I typed in my Poser4 serial number to purchase the Power 5 upgrade. As I don't have OS9 installed it was useless.