PDA

View Full Version : Mud recipe

jimiclaybrooks
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I followed a Proton tut where he makes "sweat" flow from a character's forehead. I did this with my character's leg, as shown here, and the particles just sit in one place. They don't follow the leg as it raises up from the mud.
I doesn't matter if I turn on collision with the character or not, either way,
the particles just sit in the original position of the leg, and refuse to move.
What does a fella do?? thanks

serge
12-04-2008, 06:35 AM
That's right. Particles won't move with deformation, unless you use dynamics, which I wouldn't recommend since it's nearly impossible to get them to move perfectly with the deformation.

If you intend to use Hypervoxels, you can apply them directly on the object, without an emitter. And then they will follow the deformation. The Hypervoxels will be emitted from all vertices though (seems to be no weightmap option there), which is not what you want, so you should create a second object with only points (where you want the Hypervoxels to be), and then use "Use Bones From Object".

If you really need particles, I guess there might be a way or two, but it'll be a bit tedious to set up (and to explain :p).

SplineGod
12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I would also generate the HVs on the object itself. You can use a gradient or other texture with falloff to isolate them where you want them to be. You can also use weight maps to do the masking.Its not obvious how to use weight maps with HVs. You have to create your weight map then apply a gradient with the input parameter set to particle weight. Then you have to go to the object propterties panel under the Deform tab. Where it says add displacement you should see HVparticles. Double click on that and youll see an option to select your weight map. Why its done that way I have no idea.
The simplest way is to select the foot or you character then copy past that into a separate layer. Subdivide the mesh, kill the polys and leave the points. Jitter them slightly.Keep them as a separate layer set to use bones as Serge mentioned. You can use one object to generate HVs directly on and a 2nd version to generate partcles from so you have mud dripping.

jimiclaybrooks
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys,
I appreciate the help, very very much. :bowdown:

serge
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
....Its not obvious how to use weight maps with HVs. ... Why its done that way I have no idea...
Me neither. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!