PDA

View Full Version : Question about new IK/FK system



Adrian Lopez
08-08-2003, 08:06 AM
I have a couple of questions about Lightwave 8's new IK/FK system:

Because I'm using Lightwave for games I cannot simply drive the bones via IK; I need to set keyframes for the individual bones so I can reproduce the animation within the game. I know that the new system allows you to switch between IK and FK on a frame-by-frame basis, which is great, but I'd like to know whether it's possible to use the new IK system as a posing tool - a tool to set keyframes for the individual bones - without the hassle of switching back and forth between IK and FK at every keyframe. Is it possible?

I'd also like to know whether these new "Layout Skelegons" are different entities from the bones we're used to. Do they lack any of the features we're familiar with, such as the usual bone parameters and, more importantly for me, the use of weight maps to modify bone influence? Also, will I be able to extract bone parameters and keyframe data from these new Layout Skelegons?

WilliamVaughan
08-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Adrian Lopez
I have a couple of questions about Lightwave 8's new IK/FK system:

Because I'm using Lightwave for games I cannot simply drive the bones via IK; I need to set keyframes for the individual bones so I can reproduce the animation within the game. I know that the new system allows you to switch between IK and FK on a frame-by-frame basis, which is great, but I'd like to know whether it's possible to use the new IK system as a posing tool - a tool to set keyframes for the individual bones - without the hassle of switching back and forth between IK and FK at every keyframe. Is it possible?

I'd also like to know whether these new "Layout Skelegons" are different entities from the bones we're used to. Do they lack any of the features we're familiar with, such as the usual bone parameters and, more importantly for me, the use of weight maps to modify bone influence? Also, will I be able to extract bone parameters and keyframe data from these new Layout Skelegons?



The new character tools are perfect for games IMHO. You can set Keyframes for all the bones so your covered. and the "Skelegons" in Layout refers to regular bones with the ability to edit them the way you can in Modeler. so it sounds like your covered on both items.

Adrian Lopez
08-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by proton
You can set Keyframes for all the bones so your covered.I'd like to know what the following process looks like in Lightwave 8: posing the model using IK, setting keyframes for the affected bones and then repeating this process for the next keyframe.

mav3rick
08-08-2003, 09:20 AM
proton i have asked earlyer but since thread gone down lemme ask ya now when u re back... that new ik system will it be able to link IK controlers to motion plugins that works with standard ik system like follower, oscilator,constrains, dynamic parenting and can i acces graph editor to edit CHANNELS of motion???????

WilliamVaughan
08-08-2003, 09:25 AM
I'll try and put together more info to post that will hopefully answer all questions.....

Gollum
08-08-2003, 10:08 AM
I don't know anything more about LW8 than you, but considering LW's history I am pretty sure we can assume that all animation done with the new IK/FK system can be "baked" to the bones as regular keyframes pretty easily if that's what you were wondering about. Just guessing though...

jeanphi
08-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Hi Proton.

I just want to know if you move IK end chain of the new IK/FK system like all other items LW:

*Left/Right mouse moving with LMB for -/+ X position
*Forward/Backward mouse moving with LMB for -/+ Z position
*Forward/Backward mouse moving with RMB for -/+ Y position

I send a thread about this:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9142

Thanks

SplineGod
08-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by mav3rick
proton i have asked earlyer but since thread gone down lemme ask ya now when u re back... that new ik system will it be able to link IK controlers to motion plugins that works with standard ik system like follower, oscilator,constrains, dynamic parenting and can i acces graph editor to edit CHANNELS of motion???????
Yes. :)

SplineGod
08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Gollum
I don't know anything more about LW8 than you, but considering LW's history I am pretty sure we can assume that all animation done with the new IK/FK system can be "baked" to the bones as regular keyframes pretty easily if that's what you were wondering about. Just guessing though...
Yes they can be baked. :)

mav3rick
08-09-2003, 04:54 PM
woa splinegod......... :) u re faster than newtek !!!
cOOL
ill ask ya for features than ...... will get information faster....:cool:

mav3rick
08-09-2003, 04:57 PM
anyway splinegod if i can ask ya too nicely ask and terrorize newtek to IMPLEMENT fully functional NEW ik system so i dont need to go there and slap em butts for half leg solution:)

SplineGod
08-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey Mav,
It looks pretty full functional to me from what I
played with at Sig. Cant wait until they release 8 though ;)

mav3rick
08-10-2003, 05:29 AM
u know spline i hope u understand me.... i am animator as you are.... and i am really amazed of how it looks/works .... i am just worryed of how OPEN/functional it will be ....... it is really great feature and for me good reson to switch from 7.x to 8 but it would be more than necessary that it support all functions like old ik system ... so i can say myself hey why should i bother with old school system when i got new one that is HELLL great improvment... or why not to tell hey why to hell i need any other package for char anim when lw can really do me all now?!?!? i would not die if i need to wait 3-4 more months or to pay XXX more $$$ to get all that fruits in lw 8 .......


let it be light newtek....... dont let us live in dawn....

SplineGod
08-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Im pretty sure the old IK system will still be supported. Theres a lot of older rigs still being used. :)

WilliamVaughan
08-11-2003, 07:18 AM
The old IK still works and it can work along side the new IK....so every should be happy :)