PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Forums pt. 2

andrew_y
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Currently, I have the new skin operational for testing.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, left side drop down. Choose NewTek_08

Test it out, and comment what you would like to see changed.

I am aware of a few issues that still need to be worked out, and I'll be working on the top NT menu. I do not like a menu on top of a menu... so it'll change.

For the most part, things seem to be functional, but I am sure there will be a few stray odd colors and background images. It can be a nightmare trying to find every little thing within the forums to edit.

I'll also add a poll to this thread so we can see the numbers of who wants that AJAX image viewer gone.

Smilies should all work now as well as the thumbnail for the threads.

Once I have some more time to devote, I'll dig a bit deeper into some of the plugins for the forums that are cool.

edit: oh, and feel free to edit your post for the next 5 hours.

Cageman
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I really dig Newtek 08 skin! :)

Oh... and thanks for the increased edit timelimit!

:)

Edit: Regarding the Ajax imageviewer... It looks way more pro, that is for sure, but... the thing is... if you by accident scroll your mouswheel the image dissapears and you have to click it again. If that could be removed so that I have to click the X I say... keep it... otherwise... remove it... :)

I voted for removal, but I wanted to have this as a disclaimer... :)

Lightwolf
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Test it out, and comment what you would like to see changed.

One thing I noticed immediately: In this thread, the title for the box around the poll options is black and this not legible.

And thanks for the edit time limit extension, I can finally check my spelling after posting again...

Cheers,
Mike

Kuzey
12-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow...that's nice :thumbsup:

I don't like the image viewer because it doesn't work well with my iPod touch.

Kuzey

Weetos
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Nice ! Good work :thumbsup:

Just a little display problem here : when I resize my browser to a width around 900 or so, the top banner is split in two parts, one above the other - when I size it up, it displays fine (FF3 @ 1280x1024 on Vista32)

Concerning the ajax image viewer, I can't say yes or no - Some people may like it, some other may not - Can it be a setting in the user CP so it's up to the user ?

Keep up the good work Andrew :)

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
NewTek_08 Skin gets my vote, SOOOOOOO much slicker and professional looking.

:thumbsup:

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Just a little display problem here : when I resize my browser to a width around 900 or so, the top banner is split in two parts, one above the other

Yep I get that, the NT logo graphic flows underneath when resize smaller.

Something else, when you edit a post the text for "Reason for Editing:" is almost the same colour as the background, that needs to change.

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:24 PM
My avatar really zings off the darker background, love it!

The darker theme will also save my eyes from the light colour scheme, especially considering how much time I spend on here!

:D

cagey5
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Looking pretty good to me. I voted to lose the Ajax viewer. Works ok in FF but not IE despite playing around with various settings, and it's just about driving me nuts.

Oh and I'm not seeing the arrow on the main forum page for go to last post. It's there and works I just don't see it.

geothefaust
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn that is slick. I really like this one. Thanks Andrew! :)

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Found another font colour issue, when clicking on someone's name to bring up the pop up menu, the text rollover font is black, which doesn't stand out very well.

zapper1998
12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
oohhhhhhh

I like the new look

Can you change the background color ???

wow wow wow

Cageman
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Found another font colour issue, when clicking on someone's name to bring up the pop up menu, the text rollover font is black, which doesn't stand out very well.

Agreed!

zapper1998
12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
looks good all in all

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Another thing, on the 'new post' list, the little icon before the thread name which goes to the first new post, the colour is very close to the background, difficult to see, might wanna change that.

cagey5
12-03-2008, 03:34 PM
What's the relevance of the light blue text on some forums and threads titles?

IMI
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Looks cool to me. I like the way the stickies are now much more obvious. I'd like to see the blue on the text desaturated some and slightly darker, but it's no big deal.

But don't quote me on any of that - I may edit it in 2 hours. ;)

serge
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
No poll for the 5-minute-edit-rule? I really liked it.

Lightwolf
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
:2guns: serge

I'm glad we have all the smileys back :)

Cheers
Mike

Weetos
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Yep - Noticed that and was wondering the same thing

Also, the fieldsets borders color (around the poll options, around the smilleys under the reply form, etc.) is too bright I think (pure white?) - I'd like it a bit more subtle. The fieldset legend color is, as Matt said, the same color as the background

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
One thing I'm not keen on (if we're gonna get all picky) are the icons for the thread status. (Hot, New Posts, Unread etc.)

I think they could be more obvious as to what they mean, not entirely liking the red and green on the 'hot' topic icon either!

(Told you I was picky!)

Cageman
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM

While I agree that it did serve its purpose, I have to believe that pretty much all of us are now mature enough to not go back and edit posts. Also, many of the posters, including myself, have had issues with the timelimit. Not that I couldn't live with those issues though.

If heated threads starts to bring back the "edit after answered" behaviour, I vote for reinstalling the 5 min edit rule of course.

Lightwolf
12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Those are visited links.
To be quite honest, I prefer visited links to be less obvious (i.e. gray) as opposed to links I haven't visited yet. Basically the opposite colour scheme for them. I think it makes more sense for unknown (to me) links to stand out, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt

Cheer,s
Mike

I want some shiny, funny new ones (without the old grey AA around the edge!)

Can't we just nick some from another forum and replace ours?

IMI

Do we?

EDIT: Oh, I guess we do. :thumbsup:

hrgiger
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Please get rid of the image viewer. I beg of you.

Weetos
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
One thing I'm not keen on (if we're gonna get all picky) are the icons for the thread status. (Hot, New Posts, Unread etc.)

I was about to post the same comment :)

Also, many smilies look fringed over the new dark background - doesn't look so great (This why I love PNGs !)

(Told you I was picky!)

Can't be satisfied till it's pixel perfect, huh ? ; )
This is why I love your work, mate !

serge
I just liked the fact that I could sit back and relax after 5 minutes. Now I have to worry for HOURS whether I want to edit something or not.

Liber777
Ahh, much easier on the eyes!

cagey5
Hey Andrew. How are we spelling discussion these days then? :D

adamredwoods
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Those are visited links.
To be quite honest, I prefer visited links to be less obvious (i.e. gray) as opposed to links I haven't visited yet. Basically the opposite colour scheme for them. I think it makes more sense for unknown (to me) links to stand out, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Mike

+1

Lightblue = new, since it's brighter, more eye-catching.

hrgiger
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
The new time limit is really going to put the smackdown on those exorbitant posters. Now they can't make a new post to say 'damn 5 minute time limit'. Now if they need to say something else, they can go back and edit their previous post. People with thousands of posts, it's really ridiculous, especially those with over 8,000 posts. I hate those guys.

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Can't be satisfied till it's pixel perfect, huh ? ; )
This is why I love your work, mate !

No pixel left behind, that's my motto! :D

Weetos
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Andrew. How are we spelling discussion these days then? :D

Cagey, sorry to bother you with is but you misspelled 'disscussion' in your post ;)

cagey5
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
You dissin me man? ;)

IMI
12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
People with thousands of posts, it's really ridiculous, especially those with over 8,000 posts. I hate those guys.

You'd think by now someone would do something about those people - attention hogs is what they are. :D

Lightwolf
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
People with thousands of posts, it's really ridiculous, especially those with over 8,000 posts. I hate those guys.
:bump:

Cheers,
Mike

hunter
12-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Looks very nice! :thumbsup:
I did notice the quote function doesn't include any attachments. I don't know if that's necessary or not though.
And yeah lets go steal us some smileys!

Nicolas Jordan
12-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I like this way better than the old look! Much easier on the eyes. :thumbsup:

andrew_y
12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I have a bunch of new smilies ready to go, and I have a few default avatars I'll be uploading sometime in the near future, too.

Matt
12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
While you're at it Andy, how about this icon for the poll over that nasty one on there now? A bit more subtle me thinks!

cagey5
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Well there goes the end of our diss/cussin' forums..

steve0077
12-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Works for me.

Silkrooster
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I am loving the new scheme. Much easier on the eyes. Now Cagey5 and Nicolas Jordan can change the colors in their signature. The bright red and blue are now hard to read. In a moment I will see how my signature looks.
Silk

Matt
12-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Ignore - Just testing a signature option thing ...

ted
12-03-2008, 06:11 PM
How do I know if I like the Ajax viewer if I have nothing to view on it? 8~

Silkrooster
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to add an option in our user preferences for the image viewer. When someone is on the road they could disable it, when they are home or at work, it could be reenabled.
Just a thought,
Silk

ted
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Why are some unread threads blue and some neon blue?

JeffrySG
12-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow...that's nice :thumbsup:

I don't like the image viewer because it doesn't work well with my iPod touch.

Kuzey

:agree:

That's my main reason for not wanting the AJAX viewer. But, if NT were to use one of the iPhone vBulletin themes I might like it then.

Scifi-meshes.com has a nice iPhone theme for vB that is pretty nice. I think it might be a hack of some sort but it's great for the iPhone.
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/sfm-news/48913-sfm-mobile-online.html

I think they may have gotten the iPhone / mobile theme from: vbulletin.org

(oh, I like this new longer edit time!)

hrgiger
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm curious, why do people like the image viewer? I find it slow, obstructive and generally obnoxious. I want to hear something good about it. I mean, can you keep it open and compare images like you can with switching tabs?

geothefaust
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
If you click the image after it opens up, you can open it in a tab as normal. I actually like it this way, I also like that when you scroll up or down with the wheel it drops the image and returns to the page.

But hey, I'm weird. I like things differently.

Silkrooster
12-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't believe the viewer is all that slow. Sure its slower but its seconds not minutes. Either I have a faster connection that you or I am just more patient. lol.
Silk

MooseDog
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
gives me more options:

if i just want to see one image, i don't need to change tabs if i don't want to.
if i want to compare images, click with the middle wheel on the thumbnail to go directly to a tab.
if i change my mind on the one image, click the lightbox again and it goes to a tab.

choice is my friend :) as is firefox.

and pls lower the minimum width on the header. all around great job. and just as an oddity, this looks nicer on my linux boot than windows!

ted
12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Is there still a "Mark all threads as read" ?
I loved that feature as I left the forums.

IMI
12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't hate the image viewer, but I don't like the image viewer either, if that makes any sense.

I don't know about anyone else, but there's something about this new scheme that's really disorienting me. I don't think it's just because it's new and unfamiliar - there just seems to be something bothering me about it I can't define.

EDIT:
I just figured out one thing which I hadn't noticed before now - it doesn't fill my whole screen horizontally, even though I have my browser maximized. (Firefox 3.04)
I have 1920x1200 and there is about an inch and a quarter of empty space on each side.

ted
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I just figured out one thing which I hadn't noticed before now - it doesn't fill my whole screen horizontally, even though I have my browser maximized. (Firefox 3.04)

Same thing here. IE7.
Now if someone would answer my other questions! :D

IMI
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I could answer them if you want, Ted, but I'd probably be wrong. ;)

Stooch
12-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I like the new color scheme. i dont like the light blue color, (the lightest one at the top of each post).

its distracting and doesnt really add anything. infact why is it even there? its emtpy...

also the "page 1ofX" is light on light, so its hard to read. overall its nice, but i really dont see why the background of that box needs to be anything other than the BG shade..

of course nothing more needs to be said aobut the edit time limit. phew. my least favorite feature is now gone. infact if that was the only change id be a happy guy ;)

the ajax needs to be either A) gone B) optional.

also another note. please try to not have too many different colors, its also hard on the eyes. I can see at least 6 different hues here. there needs to be a reason for a new hue.

some reasons for hues:

main post = main hue

extraneous info = dimmer, less conspicuous hue

Link = more visible shade of the main post.

visited link = less visible shade of main post.

singnature = less visible hue and or shade (extraneous info hue).

also its probably just me, but i kinda think that the overall main font is a little too small.

when in thread overview, the color combinations are disorienting. please stick to one link color, it should be a shade of the main posting color with a change of stoke, EX Bold.

try to keep things in complimentary colors, its color theory basics ;)

------------

another thing, i really like how we can collapse the sectoins that we arent interested in, but the fact is, there are so many sections that there is a huge space that is taken up by them.

for users like me who are a part of the beta, i always have to scroll to the very bottom. Would it be possible to have a CPanel opiton to just turn off sections we arent interested in entirely?

or if thats not possible, group all of LW related sections, including the beta into one chunk, so that other sections, if collapsed do not intrude.

Stooch
12-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Heh sorry to keep harping but to be honest, why dont you guys take a look at LW as your ultimate reference guide for colors.

there is a very large number of people here using LW while posting. so take a look at the colors, font sizes and all else that makes the information display in LW work and apply it to the forum so that its almost a seamless transition :)

afterall, i personally feel that the colors in LW are the perfect amount of contrast and brightness, so why not use what works :) even if you invert the current colors where the lw text colors are white while the BG color is the complimentary opposite, it will still feel cohesive with your company color scheme.

also a note on branding, you guys keep changing your colors but branding really should be relatively consistent, a good example is photoshop packaging, where the branding might be different but the overally information color schemes and layout are very consistent..

hrgiger
12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't like that only the last page number turns light blue when there is a new post. I want to see the whole thread name to turn blue to let me know that there are new post/s.

hrgiger
12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
If you click the image after it opens up, you can open it in a tab as normal. I actually like it this way, I also like that when you scroll up or down with the wheel it drops the image and returns to the page.

I thought we as digital artists were all about the fewer mouse clicks the better. You want to click on an image twice, once to open it and once to move it to a new tab? Of course, you would always middle click to move it straight to a new tab but I can't say I'm a fan of bringing the middle mouse button into my browsing. I see now that the word Newtek has been added as instead of the dash wheel to show it's loading. Great, now I get a commercial while I'm waiting.
And I don't like the fact that the image disappears because I don't like having to re open the same image twice if I inadvertently scroll the wheel when I didn't intend to.

Stooch
12-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I thought we as digital artists were all about the fewer mouse clicks the better. You want to click on an image twice, once to open it and once to move it to a new tab? Of course, you would always middle click to move it straight to a new tab but I can't say I'm a fan of bringing the middle mouse button into my browsing. I see now that the word Newtek has been added as instead of the dash wheel to show it's loading. Great, now I get a commercial while I'm waiting.
And I don't like the fact that the image disappears because I don't like having to re open the same image twice if I inadvertently scroll the wheel when I didn't intend to.
yeah btw how the hell do you "middle click" if you dont have a middle mouse button? for example on an iphone. or if you are just browsing with a 2 button mouse? you know this forum is not just LW users, there are other people who might not have the luxury :)

DiedonD
12-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey Andrewy

I miss blue! I think the upper title bar area should have some blue in it. And the Newtek Logo aswell. Blue was the reason I got here :) . Oh and look, smileys have an odd whitish area surrounding them, that stick out badly on a black baclground.

And is anything beeing done for the proposed crossevaluation of the critique with star grades ratings from the critee, as mentioned before?

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90816&highlight=critisize

I got ignored on this particular issue on your previous thread Andrewy. Wanna make a poll about it, to see the gravity of that issue, since your re arranging the whole site?

meshpig
12-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Jeez, I'm not sure. Sort of looks like every other forum. I switched back to the blue. Can we have the upgrade without changing the colours?

Sounds dumb but hey?.

m

cagey5
12-04-2008, 02:37 AM
When I#m reading problem solving threads I tend to skim through the text, middle clicking on images as I go. When I have a semse of what is being discussed I then go through the tabs to look at the comparisons.
Having the Ajax system totally ruins that. And yes I know it works in FF, but I can't make it work in IE without switching automatically to the new tab at the same time, which has the same negative effect.
That, together with the other comments about not everyone having a middle mouse button means Ajax needs to go and go quickly.

Matt
12-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Is there still a "Mark all threads as read" ?
I loved that feature as I left the forums.

It's at the bottom of the main thread view.

colkai
12-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Sexy, but yeah, drop the Ajax viewer, half the time in FF it works, sometimes it just "hangs".

Lightwolf
12-04-2008, 03:02 AM
As for the Ajax viewer...
I don't mind it, however... if it is just a normal Lightbox then it ought to be able to display a "Gallery", giving you the option to jump to the next and previous images in a list. If all images in a post, or even on a page, could be added to a single gallery (for the viewer) then it wouldn't be as much of a pain for some.

Cheers,
Mike

Lewis
12-04-2008, 03:14 AM
I like this new color scheme very much :). Ayax viewer - I don't have problems with it here in FFox 3.0.4. or IE7 i just click MMB and it open image in new tab if i want to skip loading image in forum so i can use it as before and this new way if i want.

archijam
12-04-2008, 03:18 AM
I would say keep the selection bar at the bottom, and make the new site the default. The old fogies can still change back ;) ..

Make the 'Newtek 08 with AJAX' the default, and a 'Newtek 08' plain vanilla version too.

Nice.

Gmail now has similar custom options, it's great.

Weepul
12-04-2008, 03:20 AM
Somehow, the newtek_08 theme seems closed-in and claustrophobic to me, and less easily readable than the default theme. I think it's the colors, darker background, and lowered value contrast. Is the font smaller, too?

Lewis
12-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Yeah weepul it looks more closed by borders, shapes and design overall but it's much more cool/slick and in the better tone with lightwave/rendetion/tricaster pages/design. Afterall it's user preference so anyone can change it as archijam says Id also make it default and maybe even call it "NT 09" :D :D.

Good work NT

JBT27
12-04-2008, 04:24 AM
I like this alot :thumbsup:

My only objection to the Ajax Viewer is the MMB thumbwheel action - as MMB scrolling is done by habit running up and down threads, it's way too easy to kill the viewer, wanting to scroll but still keep the viewer open.....yeah, there are other ways but maybe we get used to this new way. Dunno to be honest.

The text is a little small - I'm finding the previous default was easy to look at, but this is somewhat harder - bigger text, rather than brighter I think, but I love the grey palette.

Julian.

serge
12-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Andrew_y, do we get the "most recent posts" back, where at the bottom of the main page you could see the last 5 posts or so? I found that pretty handy.

Mat
12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
wow very impressive, a thumbs up for me.

cagey5
12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
ok. Now I've been using the new scheme for a day or so, can I second the request for a larger font size. The new is definitely smaller than the old. There also appears to be less real estate, with the black borders at the side noticeably wider than the old version.

While I'm in niggle mode, the black text on the grey background for quoted sections isn't reader friendly. May be better with larger text but I think I'd prefer a slightly darker background and white text.

Liber777
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
and pls lower the minimum width on the header

Agreed. Please, the header doubles up and wastes a lot of space on my 1024px wide laptop screen.

serge
12-04-2008, 08:12 AM
...I second the request for a larger font size...
Me too. I'd also like the font size a bit bigger.

Agreed. Please, the header doubles up and wastes a lot of space on my 1024px wide laptop screen.
Yes please change that. I also use 1024px.

JeffrySG
12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
also its probably just me, but i kinda think that the overall main font is a little too small.
:agree: Yes, I too think it's a little small...

And I don't know how everyone else feels, but after having the gray theme on for a while I really felt my eyes straining a lot more. I'm not sure if it's due to the smaller type or the lack of contrast with the type.

I'm all for a few different themes, and I like the gray but I have a tendency to leave the forums open all day long and it would be nice to have something that is really easy on the eyes - from a straining standpoint - and from a looking nice standpoint. How does anybody else feel about the eye strain thing?

What about having a theme that is still mostly grays and cool grays, but still has dark (black or dark gray) text on a very light (or white) background. Might be a nice alternative as well.

Matt
12-04-2008, 09:24 AM
And I don't know how everyone else feels, but after having the gray theme on for a while I really felt my eyes straining a lot more. I'm not sure if it's due to the smaller type or the lack of contrast with the type.

Yes, I am after using it for a day or so.

The black quote text messes with my vision. And I think the BG on the posts could do with going a tad lighter, might relieve some tension in the eyes.

Something else, try upping the text size using your browser, see if it makes a difference, I think it helps a little.

colkai
12-04-2008, 10:00 AM
:agree: Yes, I too think it's a little small...

Likewise, it was nice at first, but after a while, I definitely felt my eyes were being strained by it.

IMI
12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm getting used to it and whatever was "bothering" me about it before doesn't anymore.
Although I would like to see it fill up my whole screen horizontally, and I don't like that aqua blue at all.

gerry_g
12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Isn't minimum font size a function of your browser ( think mines set to display nothing less than 14 point), this is a very cool look and the color flagging for different texts is great, I just wish you'd do something about that starter page from which you access the forums it's such a bog basic template, go look at the NewTek Europe opening page, that's how to do it right.

Nicolas Jordan
12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Although I would like to see it fill up my whole screen horizontally, and I don't like that aqua blue at all.

It fills up my screen horizontally on Firefox. What browser are you using?

geothefaust
12-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I actually don't have a middle mouse button! :p At least not on my laptop. I do on my workstation but I don't have internet on that machine "Just in case". I do most of my internet stuff on my laptop, that's why I use double clicks, or Ctrl+click. For the mouse wheel, I scroll with the side of the pad. Unintentional scrolls are pretty rare on this thing. So that doesn't really bother me too much.

Anyway, after checking out threads with a lot of images, I'm finding that the viewer can sometimes take a LONG time to load. So in this respect, I don't dig it. Also, on a mobile device, of course they don't load at all.

I'd either like to see it, I think Stooch said it this way, either:

A) make it optional
B) Get rid of it

On another topic relating to the forums, I'd like to see the smilies with bad aliasing fixed. Also the header thing seems to still be awkwardly positioned to the left with dead space.

Andrew, I really like the colors, they are much better then the blue and white. My eyes can rest easy now while browsing the forums. Thanks. :)

IMI
12-04-2008, 02:14 PM
It fills up my screen horizontally on Firefox. What browser are you using?

Firefox 3.04.

And I meant to say I don't like the aqua blue on the text. The header looks great, IMO.

Matt
12-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Isn't minimum font size a function of your browser ( think mines set to display nothing less than 14 point), this is a very cool look and the color flagging for different texts is great, I just wish you'd do something about that starter page from which you access the forums it's such a bog basic template, go look at the NewTek Europe opening page, that's how to do it right.

Personally I think this page (http://www.newtek.com/), and this page (http://www.newtek-europe.com) are equally hideous and are in dire need of bringing in line with this page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/).

IMI
12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Personally I think this page (http://www.newtek.com/), and this page (http://www.newtek-europe.com) are equally hideous and are in dire need of bringing in line with this page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/).

What's the matter with This Page (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/index.asp), Matt? Aside from it being infested with Flash, it looks fine to me.

Now, the others....

meatycheesyboy
12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
What's the matter with This Page (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/index.asp), Matt? Aside from it being infested with Flash, it looks fine to me.

Now, the others....

It's got a really bad hierarchy.

The whole two bar menu thing at the top is confusing. Especially how when you roll over products, it drops down to cover the second bar and how the bottom bar's menus drop up.

Then there's that huge gap between the menus and the content. White space is great but that chasm just looks like a mistake. Then the multitude of mini ads around the flash just seem cheap to me. Almost like a very desperate sort of "look at me".

Also, personally, I'm also not a huge fan of rounded rectangles but that's just a personal preference.

And finally, what's up with the repeating text at the bottom?

IMI
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM

The whole two bar menu thing at the top is confusing. Especially how when you roll over products, it drops down to cover the second bar and how the bottom bar's menus drop up.

Then there's that huge gap between the menus and the content. White space is great but that chasm just looks like a mistake. Then the multitude of mini ads around the flash just seem cheap to me. Almost like a very desperate sort of "look at me".

Oh, OK, thanks. See, this is why I'm not a web designer. ;)

Matt
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Also, personally, I'm also not a huge fan of rounded rectangles but that's just a personal preference.

And finally, what's up with the repeating text at the bottom?

Yep, all that, and just too busy, unsubtle, too much use of Flash.

It is rather old now though.

jasonwestmas
12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I like the grey colors! I like the Ajax Viewer too.

parm
12-04-2008, 05:38 PM
There's too many shades of grey going on for me. It's too busy with the tonal range, so spoils the point of a dark grey background being easier on the eye.

I'd prefer fewer greys closer in tone. With a signature colour accent in the title bar and/or the area currently occupied by the black region.

Silkrooster
12-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I am finding the icon just before the subject is way to hard to see.
For new viewers, that icon allows you to goto the new posts that have not been read in that thread.
Edit: I just checked the top of the page and that link is black. That link and the icon should match in color.
Silk

Wickster
12-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I was ll for the Image Viewer before but I keep thinking that it opens a new window so I keep clicking the window's "x" button and I end up closing the whole browser. This happened to me far too many times to justify that I don't like it anymore. :)

As far as the forum look though, looks cool, I like it.

Hopper
12-04-2008, 05:55 PM
wow .. When I changed to the new skin, my headache went away. No more blinding colors. Excellent.

If the viewer can be patched to work with the iPhone, I wouldn't care either way.

parm
12-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd prefer fewer greys closer in tone. With a signature colour accent in the title bar and/or the area currently occupied by the black region.

Actually. Having just taken a look. The Lightwave Product page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/), colour scheme looks very good. Why not have continuity with that one on the forum?

jasonwestmas
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I would agree with Parm. Red, grey, white and black is very nice.

Not sure about using gold with white though, seems overkill.

c.1
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Looks great to me alot easier on the eyes!!!

Stooch
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I would agree with Parm. Red, grey, white and black is very nice.

Not sure about using gold with white though, seems overkill.

totally agreed.

Stooch
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
your top logo is wrapping, it needs to be put into a scale friendly table:

<table>
<tr>
<td>logoL</td>
<td width = "100%">stretch cell (i wold use a pattern image for BG image in this cell)</td>
<td>logoR</td>
</tr>
</table>

that should prevent any wrapping wen scaling page down (of course you want to set other table tags to make it hidden).

JeffrySG
12-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Actually. Having just taken a look. The Lightwave Product page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/), colour scheme looks very good. Why not have continuity with that one on the forum?

:agree:

Tobian
12-05-2008, 04:20 AM
I rather like the new forum style, but I think it's a little too low contrast: Maybe on a CRT it looks ok but on a TFT (which most people here will be using) it's a little too low contrast, and the text is a little too small. Also the grey/blue bar at the top of each post seems to be wasting a lot of space, or at the very least should be a low impact graphic (something like the zebra-stripe blue grey with a gradient, like on the top of the forum).

I agree with the others here, the style of the LW website would make for a better design, it's got better contrast, and it's as neat in it's use of space, with a more legible font size too.

archijam
12-05-2008, 04:56 AM
A few points on mobile device compatibility:

Good -
The OnClick behaviour - yellow - is very clear and you know you hit the right link.

Bad -
As above, black edges, wrapping of title bar etc.
The top menus are 'persistent' - if I accidentally hit the Resellers menu, I can't get the menu to close until I click a new link, and it covers up the New Posts button in the process, which is the only link i want to hit :)
Grey text on a grey background. Who thought this was a good idea? keep it white or light blue for contrast reasons.

Suggestion -
Make the next and previous page and number buttons (within a thread) a large font. I'm always hitting the wrong number.

ps. I voted no on the AJAY just because there was no other option - see my earlier post about making it optional.

pps. the N e w t e k loading message is kinda odd. It also makes it look like Newtek personally endorse what is loading which is probably only true in about 10% of cases ... stick with the standard loading wheel.

Keep it up :)

MooseDog
12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
your top logo is wrapping, it needs to be put into a scale friendly table:

<table>
<tr>
<td>logoL</td>
<td width = "100%">stretch cell (i wold use a pattern image for BG image in this cell)</td>
<td>logoR</td>
</tr>
</table>

that should prevent any wrapping wen scaling page down (of course you want to set other table tags to make it hidden).

very true, but not applicable. in the sense that andrew would have to go in and change the php coding that generates this html. far easier and semantically correct would be to change the css. which for the header section looks like this:

/* ***** SETS LOGO AREA FOUND IN HEADER AND ALL OF IT'S PROPERTIES ***** */
#logo {
background: url(enlighten/misc/header_logo.gif);
width: 923px;
height: 100px;
float: left;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

/* ***** sets background for header area - No need to change this ***** */
#hdr {
background: #F7632F url(enlighten/misc/header_back.gif) ;
width: 100%;
margin: 0;
}

/* ***** SETS HEADER RIGHT SIDE AREA FOUND IN HEADER AND ALL OF IT'S PROPERTIES ***** */
#hdr_rs {
background: url(enlighten/misc/header_rs.gif);
width: 34px;
float: right;
}

notice the div named logo. the width is set at 923px. that's why you're getting the wrapping. andrew, try changing that to width: 340px; (i haven't figured out the purpose of the right-side header, seems kinda redundant. but if things work with it there, they work :) ).

really nice work so far, looking forward to seeing this evolve. thx!

andrew_y
12-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Most of this has already been fixed, just not uploaded to the live server yet. =D

ted
12-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks Andrew Y.

adamredwoods
12-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Does the forum search work for multiple words?

Liber777
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Most of this has already been fixed, just not uploaded to the live server yet. =D

And now that it's in place, I think it is superb! It's uncluttered, professional-looking, and it's now very easy to read and is easy on the eyes.

Medi8or
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Did anyone mention the "go to first new post" icon? --> http://www.newtek.com/forums/enlighten/buttons/firstnew.gif

Maybe make it stand out a bit more?

Medi8or
12-05-2008, 03:51 PM
:thumbsup:

rakker16mm
12-06-2008, 01:33 AM
I love the new look. It's easy to see what you need to and doesn't cause a lot of eye fatigue.

Stooch
12-06-2008, 02:53 AM
very true, but not applicable. in the sense that andrew would have to go in and change the php coding that generates this html. far easier and semantically correct would be to change the css. which for the header section looks like this:

you do have a point. however it is very much applicable, and has been applied by me personally as i find it very easy to modify php. :)

some even comment their code suggesting where to edit :)

----------

andrew so are there any plans for these light gray bars in the post and forum overview section? they are pretty painful on the eyes still. fighting for attention with the actual text and when scrolling up and down.

Red_Oddity
12-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Nice look, my only gripe is the icons for each post/thread which tell you whether or not a thread is new, or you've replied in it or it contains attachments, are kind of unclear.

geothefaust
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM

+1. I said that a while ago, I think it would be sweet. Not to say, that I don't like this one, because I do. But continuity is key. :thumbsup:

meatycheesyboy
12-06-2008, 02:33 PM
+1. I said that a while ago, I think it would be sweet. Not to say, that I don't like this one, because I do. But continuity is key. :thumbsup:

Except as was already pointed out ealier in the thread, this is a Newtek forum not just a Lightwave forum.

jcupp
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
somehow, the newtek_08 theme seems closed-in and claustrophobic to me, and less easily readable than the default theme. I think it's the colors, darker background, and lowered value contrast. Is the font smaller, too?

+1

Silkrooster
12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks Andrew, you doing a top notch job.
Silk

MooseDog
12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
just for thought and discussion, see where this goes. it's a quick n' dirty change, mainly focusing on the forum posts.

just increasing the font by one point makes a big difference to me for readability.

for inspecting and-or changing pages, the firebug (http://getfirebug.com/)plugin for firefox is the! wondertool. which is how i made the changes to the forum, and see them in realtime.

archijam
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
On a slow connection, the top banner loads first as bright orange, it's a bit odd.

The Ajax loader has stopped working on my iPhone in 50% of cases. Annoying.

IMI
12-07-2008, 07:33 AM
On a slow connection, the top banner loads first as bright orange, it's a bit odd.

Yeah, I noticed that too last night, but it only happened once. I'm glad you said something because I thought it was a video RAM thing here.

cagey5
12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
White text in quote boxes - Check
Larger display font - Check
More real estate/reduced margins - Check
'Go to first new post' icon made legible - Check
Remove Ajax image viewer - Ch... Hmmm, No Check

So, how long before this poll yields a result? Or do we have to march on Newtek with flaming torches.

jasonwestmas
12-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Yah if it doesn't work in 99% of situations axe the AJAX.

cresshead
12-09-2008, 09:45 AM
i like the newtek 08 skin..keep that, looks nice

ercaxus
12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Maybe It would be better if the image viewer took over after the image is loaded. I don't like looking at a blank black screen while image is loading.

tyrok1
12-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Like the new color scheme, very much dislike the AJAX viewer. Here's why: quite often people post very large renders, and I'd rather be able to see them as they load (in another tab) than to have to wait until they're completely loaded before you can see any of it. Plus, I like being able to continue reading the thread while the image loads, which I can easily do if it's in another tab. My $2/100.

Dodgy
12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I like the new style, hate the new icons. Old icons please, they look a lot more like what they're trying to represent :)

danielkaiser
12-13-2008, 12:44 PM
One thing is that the, posting date and time are a bit small, hard to see tiny black type on a gray background, otherwise it looks great, it's about time someone took us into the 21st century.

toby
12-14-2008, 07:28 PM
(sorry I'm late to the party)
freakin awesome!

cagey5
12-19-2008, 04:03 AM
So, how long before this poll yields a result? Or do we have to march on Newtek with flaming torches.

Well I set of with my flaming torch, intent on gaining a baying, righteous mob along the way but got turned back at the airport. Apparently they have a policy against flaming torches on the aircraft - What's that about!

So I'm reduced to going back to the old style forum, but at least I don't have the annoying Ajax pop-up.

3dworks
12-19-2008, 04:57 AM
i don't like it especially because you can't compare two images by displaying them in 2 tabs and switching between them.

markus

cagey5
12-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Is someone at Newtek taking the p***. I reverted to the old style to get away from the damn Ajax pop-up and it's appeared there now!

Give us a choice at least, this is driving me nuts.

hunter
12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
I use Firefox and just middle click on the pictures and they open in a new tab as always. I can see how that may be a problem on portables but otherwise the ajax doesn't have to drive you crazy, but a user preference couldn't hurt. ;)

cagey5
12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't use Firefox. .. Not all the time anyhows.

Heyski
12-19-2008, 05:24 PM
It's a really nice visual change from the other forum look. I like the color scheme. It's very close to to the gun metal color that I am starting to see crop up on the web more. The only suggestion I have is to change the color of the cat_back.gif to a darker color. It competes with the value of the text on this darker background. I understand that it is used as a spacer between posts but a spacer shouldn't command that much attention in my opinion. I'm sure some will disagree. Overall it's a great visual leap and I am enjoying the new look. I haven't found any technical issues with the forum at all. Keep up the good work.

IMI
12-19-2008, 06:20 PM
I guess the poll was just to get an approximation of how many people they might be pissing off, but not to decide anything on. ;)

pixym
12-19-2008, 06:31 PM
I really love the newtek 08 ;)

-EsHrA-
12-20-2008, 04:57 AM
ajax still here??..

mlon

ingo
12-21-2008, 08:57 AM
The ajax viewer is crap since it doesn't work and the new colors, well nice but usually its easier for the eye to have dark text on bright backround. So a black text on a light gunmetallgrey would be fine.

pixym
12-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Can somebody tell me what is the Ajax Viewer???

cagey5
12-21-2008, 09:24 AM
It's the annoying pop-up window that images open up in now. If you are using Firefox there's a good chance you're not seeing it. For the rest of us we appear to have taken part in a pointless poll.

Medi8or
12-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I'd like an option to turn off font colors in messages.

..and fonts..

archijam
12-22-2008, 07:43 AM
i'd like an option to turn off font colors in messages.

..and fonts..

+1

firstsingle
12-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Sweet Newtek!

adding Ajax is sweet. I Like.

Thanks for more editing time 2.

IMI
12-22-2008, 10:24 AM
It's the annoying pop-up window that images open up in now. If you are using Firefox there's a good chance you're not seeing it. For the rest of us we appear to have taken part in a pointless poll.

I use Firefox and see it all the time. Are you saying there's a way to turn it off in FF? All I do is just middle click and end of problem, but it's still become an annoyance more than anything.

cagey5
12-22-2008, 11:02 AM
No, I was referring to middle clicking to bypass it in Firefox

Matt
12-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd like an option to turn off font colors in messages.

..and fonts..

What's wrong with colours and fonts?

Silkrooster
12-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Most web browsers do allow you to disable javascript, but it may effect other features of the forum.
Silk

geothefaust
12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
What's wrong with colours and fonts?

Nothing at all!

cagey5
12-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Most web browsers do allow you to disable javascript, but it may effect other features of the forum.
Silk

Not sure you can do that on a site by site basis can you?

Stooch
12-24-2008, 02:01 AM
how about, left click, open new window.

middle click, ajax.

just so that if you are using iphone, you can still see the images (otherwise they dont work at all)

archijam
12-24-2008, 02:34 AM
just so that if you are using iphone, you can still see the images (otherwise they dont work at all)

+1

Merry Christmas Stooch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0t2IfE6vI

(ps I don't speak russian and therefore cannot be held responsible for anything at the end of this link ..)

Silkrooster
12-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Not sure you can do that on a site by site basis can you?

I believe it is an all or nothing deal. But there are add ons meant for web design, that will allow you to disable options like javascript, css, images, etc. which would make it quicker to change than searching through the browsers options.
Silk

cagey5
12-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Here's a thought then. How about they listen to the poll that they themselves set up and get rid of the damn thing altogether, or is that a bit radical.

meatycheesyboy
12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
This may have been brought up already but...

Attached are two screenshots taken from two different forums, one from General Discussion and one from LW Community, why the inconsistency in the top bar?

Trying to mimic the design philosophies behind LW ;) ? j/k... sort of...

Stooch
12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
+1

Merry Christmas Stooch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0t2IfE6vI

(ps I don't speak russian and therefore cannot be held responsible for anything at the end of this link ..)

hahaha, always funny to hear people try to speak russian...
badly.

There was absolutely 0 correctly pronounced words in that video...

nthused
12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I like the viewer on my PC, but it fails on my iPhone...thus the negative vote. I love the update to the look of the Forum though.

archijam
12-29-2008, 01:50 AM
This is how the site loads on an iphone.

As mentioned earlier, the orange bar is present and clear, but also the first line of links have a white background, making links such as 'new posts' impossible to see.

(the site is still loading, so the text is still antialiased. However, depending on network connection, the orange bar could be visible for 30 seconds or so.)

Oh yeah and AJAX :/

Cheers!

DiedonD
12-29-2008, 02:41 AM
hahaha, always funny to hear people try to speak russian...
badly.

There was absolutely 0 correctly pronounced words in that video...

Alas, an opportunity :)

I always wondered what the saying in your avatar meant?

Is it 'From Russia with Love' the James Bond movie, that you mightve been a fan of. Or are your origins from Russia?

Would you care to tell your backgrounds please? :)

Stooch
12-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Alas, an opportunity :)

I always wondered what the saying in your avatar meant?

Is it 'From Russia with Love' the James Bond movie, that you mightve been a fan of. Or are your origins from Russia?

Would you care to tell your backgrounds please? :)

both. well, i love to make fun of james bond. I always thought it was hillarious to see the "soviets" run at bond to get shot while making 0 attempts at using their AK. i am russian born (severodvinsk), moved to eastern siberia, to a town called Chita, moved in 91 to USA. And lived in Chicago, St Louis, Boston (where i learned how to be an as$hole), went to school in Savannah, moved to Connecticut and now im in Hollywood CA (where skills at being an as$hole are always in high demand).

I also used - from russia with love - because people tend to get agitated by my directness, which i kind of enjoy lol.

DiedonD
12-29-2008, 03:28 AM
both. well, i love to make fun of james bond. I always thought it was hillarious to see the "soviets" run at bond to get shot while making 0 attempts at using their AK. i am russian born (severodvinsk), moved to eastern siberia, to a town called Chita, moved in 91 to USA. And lived in Chicago, St Louis, Boston (where i learned how to be an as$hole), went to school in Savannah, moved to Connecticut and now im in Hollywood CA (where skills at being an as$hole are always in high demand).

I also used - from russia with love - because people tend to get agitated by my directness, which i kind of enjoy lol.

Siberia! How cold? Theres a city in Siberia that holds the record of the coldest habitated city in the world!

Your directness is no problem. People that have a problem with sudden splash of reality... well its an issue too.

The edgy part is that sometimes your very rude man :) . It was hillarious how you called the other one an 'Idiot' or something, and asked permission for calling him again like that by saying 'You dont mind me calling you and idiot do you?' cause he was ignoring that. I was going like 'Unbelievable Ignoration!!' for the guy, and he went on and on not even calling for the issue up to talk it over!

Who was your 'As$hole' tutor? Whats his credential background? LOL

Stooch
12-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Siberia! How cold? Theres a city in Siberia that holds the record of the coldest habitated city in the world!

Who was your 'As$hole' tutor? Whats his credential background? LOL

lol actually if you compare the lattitude of chita and severodvinsk you will see that i actually moved into a tropical paradise in siberia ;)

as far as temperatures, the range is -30C to +45C so its a full range.

as far as my tutor, it was a group effort lol.

JeffrySG
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Is there any chance we can get a mobile skin version of the for forums? I know there are a few around - a search on the vBulletin site came up with a few hits:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6936637
and Scifi-meshes.com has a pretty decent one too.

It would be great to have a skin that is specifically for the iPhone/mobile devices. Then we could use the ajax or not on the full desktop version.

Scazzino
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Having the main drop-down menu bar immediately above the horizontal forum menubar is problematic since when moving quickly the drop-downs keep popping up and obscuring the forum menubar that I'm really trying to click...

Also, it would be nice if we could remove the small word filter from the searches... Trying to find this thread I typed in "new web design" and it filtered out the word "new"... Many of the search words that are really necessary are often filtered out by the search on this forum, like: APS, AS, GI, etc...

DiedonD
01-10-2009, 06:23 AM
What I really would like is somekind of a better backtracking option!

Not just search cause it gathers all kinda threads in it, and undoubtadly the neverending ones will be in it, cause someone oughta mentioned it on them big threads that pops up in your search list then, but its 0 relelveance to what you were searching for!

We have e-mails that are send when PMs arrive, something of the like when someone quotes you would be rather great! So as you wont skip it, and you wont need to search where did your last post got burried again!

An e-mail that is sent that someone replied to you with using your quote as well as the link that takes you there immediately would be rather nice I think.

toby
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I gotta say I'm thoroughly enjoying the new color scheme, I use the forum windows to cover up other blinding white windows and protect my poor tired eyes :cool:

thanks again, nt web-type people

archijam
01-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Fnti ..

Hopper
01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
The one thing that has been bothering the crap out of me lately is the fact that every time I move my mouse to click "New Posts", I always overshoot a bit and hover over "Buy Now" and the menu pops up. I wish the top layer menus required an actual click to bring up the associated menu.

It's a little detail, but it still bothers me.

Hopper
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Just widen your browser window, dood :D
I wish I could .. I got rid of my 2nd monitor. Now I'm down to 1280x1024 until I can get my 24 or 30". I started using the 2nd monitor for my music studio, now I can't seem to be able to deal without it there. Just not enough screen real-estate.

Medi8or
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok, the announcement field needs some changes. 8~

ercaxus
01-25-2009, 02:07 AM
I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if these were requested already:
I want bigger buttons for mobile browsing. In the second menu(actually everywhere) not only the text but all the area taken by the menu(or a button anywhere on the page) should be clickable. In firebug 8 px padding did it for the menu. I would really appreciate this. It's difficult to aim with my big fingers on the phone.

For desktop browsing I would like more text and less images used. On my 24" monitor sometimes I zoom the page a lot, and pages remind me of good old C64 days. Post reply button, and Quote button have text in images. I would like them just text.

meatycheesyboy
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I understand that everyone is Core crazy right now, but are the bugs that have been pointed out in this thread going to get fixed? Alot of the things requested have been feature requests but there have also been alot of bugs that have been brought up. Can we get those taken care of at some point?

meatycheesyboy
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Sorry for bringin this back from the dead but as far as I know, none of the forum quirks/bugs pointed out in this thread were ever addressed and most people still dislike the AJAX viewer. Newtek, can we get some follow through here?

archijam
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
While we're at it: Font colour weirdness.

In the last one, all that text is selected, apparently.

Oh and AJAX on my iPhone only works 20% of the time .. :/

geothefaust
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
After todays forum maintenance, the header no longer shows up. Just a big orange block.

IMI
04-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm seeing the header in Firefox. I know what you mean about the "big orange block" though. Sometimes I see that for a split second before a page loads completely.

rkpdesign
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Can't be the only one who surfs with IE7 still, right?

The forums look completely different in FFX vs IE7...right?

IMI
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Can't be the only one who surfs with IE7 still, right?

The forums look completely different in FFX vs IE7...right?

I just tried it in IE 7 32 and 64 bit, and I'm not getting the big orange block effect. Maybe they fixed it already, I don't know, but as far as I can tell everything looks the same with IE 7 as it does with Firefox 3.08.

geothefaust
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
It is fine now. It was doing it for a couple hours though. I even cleared out my cache (also with CTRL+F5) and nothing helped.

rkpdesign
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Okay I figured it out...by setting the style property at very bottom of the page on left-side dropdown menu to newtek08 everything worked out fine...perhaps a CSS issue?
without that setting, i get the mixed up look

gerry_g
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
The Ajax viewer doesn't have a single redeeming quality.
Don't just get rid of it, burn it, chop it into little bits and bury it !!. And while we're on the subject of crap things the sub header space for secondary text lines (such as the second line in black under the Hard Core forum section) isn't dynamic, so if your browsers minimum font size is set too high ( cos you running a 30" monitor say) the text spills untidily outside of it's allocated space.

cagey5
04-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Well I along with many other have made my feelings on Ajax known [hint gerry_g's remedy seems like the soft option], but despite that, despite the members voting to get rid of the damn thing in an official Newtek poll where they themselves asked their members what their preference was, they've decided instead to 'enhance' it so you can now step back and forth between images.
In other words the lack of activity wasn't due to the fact that everyone was so busy that they didn't have time to deal with the issue, that could have been forgivable [though not for this long], no, the fact is they really don't listen.
Am I sounding annoyed?... Good, I pitched it right then.

IMI
04-09-2009, 08:45 PM
The Ajax viewer doesn't have a single redeeming quality.

Don't hold back, neverko, tell us how you really feel about it. ;)

Something tells me that when this poll was created they didn't expect people to *not* like the Ajax viewer. Maybe they were hoping people were going to faun and gush all over it to the point of embarrassment. This poll was a blatant attempt at fishing for compliments, not an actual poll. ;)

But we all might as well just get used to it, it's not going anywhere. They're using it on their main CORE page now, so I guess they like it.
I can see why there, because it's a little more "artsy", a little more stylish, but it's just a nuisance here. Images take slightly longer to load with it, than without it, too. Let's just hope they don't somehow disable bypassing it here, with MMB or ctrl+click.

DiedonD
04-10-2009, 02:31 AM
But we all might as well just get used to it, it's not going anywhere. They're using it on their main CORE page now, so I guess they like it.

And they probably use it on the HardCORE forums aswell!

The kinda forums that apparently have taken up more than a half a dozen of Wavers, having a party without us, and making this place so uncommonly quiet in the process too! :thumbsdow

Kuzey
04-10-2009, 05:37 AM
But we all might as well just get used to it, it's not going anywhere.

You can't actually get used to it on an iPod touch...because it just doesn't work....at all.

Newtek, get rid of that thing....at the very least for mobile devices :stumped::stumped:

Kuzey

archijam
04-10-2009, 05:47 AM
And they probably use it on the HardCORE forums aswell!

The kinda forums that apparently have taken up more than a half a dozen of Wavers, having a party without us, and making this place so uncommonly quiet in the process too! :thumbsdow

Their business is making CORE better in the process... trust me, it's sweaty in there :)

DiedonD
04-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Their business is making CORE better in the process... trust me, it's sweaty in there :)

Oh Im a trustful person indeed. But the whole idea of not taking place in those forums without the initial pay for the upgrade, I think is making a big devision among Wavers.

HardCORE-rs and LW9.6-ers

With HardCORE-rs having the advantage of beeing on both forums, while the later cannot :thumbsdow

I think its stupid really!

If anything, HardCORE forums should be open for us aswell so as we can see for ourselves of that 'sweaty'-ness that you are talking about, and in doing so, allow for a sweat impact in changing our minds at purchasing it!

What keeps NT rolling is new incomes and theres no more from you guys until God knows when! Its us they should go after, and by keeping us away from those forums really doesnt helps in that regard!

Whats this whole silly idea in making devisions about anyway! Jealousy? That doesnt works the same with all!

IMI
04-10-2009, 04:34 PM
You can't actually get used to it on an iPod touch...because it just doesn't work....at all.

Newtek, get rid of that thing....at the very least for mobile devices :stumped::stumped:

Kuzey

I didn't think about that at all, since I don't have an iPod, but yeah you have a great point there.
I second the motion made earlier that if Ajax is not going to be removed, it should *at least* be an option for the user to decide.
How hard could that possibly be to implement?

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey Andrew! I keep on mentioning this without any proper reply!

Will there be any change at the galleries? As it is now, its way too much of a hustle for someone to go there and give a comment! So I gave you an idea about some star reward system for the commenter. Is anything going to be done about that?

Also, a friend of mine gave me a link to his heavenly collection as I would call it. And there were interesting ways at commenting there:

http://public.fotki.com/PLara19570/thebest/chelseyfinal4584.html

So you can be a member and whatever you say is entirely visible to all. ANd everything all the way to when you were a 5 year old kid is known and documented there.

Thus there are three ways of commenting that I saw there on that site

a) The "BEWARE of what you post, for you are entitled to what you TYPE! And that say will be linked to your soul and will remain so until the day you die!" - highly responsible way of commenting openly with your registered name

b) You can come in as a guest, and type whatever the heck of a name you want!

And even,

C) You can appear Anonymously, and be free to say whatever you may want?!

So thats a second idea now! Do either, and lets flood the galleries like they deserve man!

BTW, thats our moderators site over there! Paul has a way to make such contrasts in his pictures, that basically pulls the comment right out of your mouth!!

IMI
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey Andrew! I keep on mentioning this without any proper reply!
<snip>

Dude, give it up.
He unsubscribed from this thread looonnnngggg ago.
The evidence is in the lack of response. Any reasonable person would at least respond, even if to say "F-U, it's staying as it is... !"

Therefore, he must not even be seeing any of these numerous replies and suggestions...

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 12:31 PM
But what about this last proposal of mine in changing the galleries in Fotki style as that gallery over there?!

It should do it! What do you guys think?

IMI
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know. First things first, I guess. I don't have time to go looking over that site you posted, but at first glance, I don't like it.

No amount of suggestions, good or bad, matters at all though, if they're not being read and considered.

EDIT:

This is basically a help and discussion forum, after all.
Although I do believe it would help NT and LW if they had a real nice, well-designed and artsy gallery somwhere too.

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
No amount of suggestions, good or bad, matters at all though, if they're not being read and considered.

Why do you think that the comments there or here are neither being read nor considered by their host?

The purpose of cross evaluating crit star reward and the possibility of commenting in secrecy is that I believe it should make it easier in commenting ANYTHING

IMI
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Why do you think that the comments there or here are neither being read nor considered by their host?

Like I said, any reasonable person would respond, especially after having been challenged so many times to respond. :devil:

And I'm sure they're reasonable and concerned. Ergo, something went wrong and this thread is going unintentionally unnoticed...

DiedonD
04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Bah, you were talking about comments in this thread about suggestions of improving the galleries!

I thought that you meant that the host of the threads at the galleries wouldnt notice the muchly needed comments about their own arts! And I went like, WTF!

DiedonD
04-14-2009, 01:46 AM
I don't have time to go looking over that site you posted...

Oh trust me! You should :D

All of you should :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Oh trust me! You should :D

All of you should :thumbsup:

The color of the darkest skin shadows are not appealing. ;)

DiedonD
04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
The color of the darkest skin shadows are not appealing. ;)

Whatabout this one?

http://public.fotki.com/PLara19570/thebest/staceyfinal289b.html

Darker hair!

toby
04-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Whatabout this one?

http://public.fotki.com/PLara19570/thebest/staceyfinal289b.html

Darker hair!

Mm hmmmm!
me likez

DiedonD
04-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Mm hmmmm!
me likez

That one just makes us reach through the screen and slide our hands on those yummy cheeks, dont they? :D

Yeah, some are indeed alot more sexier than artistic like them two above!

But some...

http://public.fotki.com/PLara19570/thebest/laraimagesvanessa04.html

What is it about a shot that immortalizes models ?!

toby
04-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Wow they really blurred the face on that one. Lots of painting the hair too. Other than that it's beautiful. Is that the same Paul Lara that works for newtek??

DiedonD
04-15-2009, 04:22 AM
Wow they really blurred the face on that one. Lots of painting the hair too. Other than that it's beautiful. Is that the same Paul Lara that works for newtek??

The very one :)

I didnt knew Paul does models neither!

A talented photographer, working as a part time mod! Who wouldve known!

Whats your favorite over there? I mean 'you' as forum people, not neccesarily only Toby over there!

Im going to ask for yours before I reveal mine ;)

DiedonD
04-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Whats the matter?

Surely you dont mean that all of them are bad so as not worthy of beeing mentioned here do you?

Well, I think Ill link my best first then!

http://public.fotki.com/PLara19570/thebest/vanessafinal16a.html

The obvios inconsistent misfit of the character in that environemnt surely gave a punch to me!