PDA

View Full Version : So where are the sexy videos of LW 8?

ackees
08-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Well, where are they? We wait to be blown away by the magnificence of LW 8, but no show at newtek.com. Why?

Zafar Iqbal
08-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Maybe because the demonstration at Siggraph was just a sneak preview?

ackees
08-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Things like this sometimes end up like crying wolf, so far we have all come running but we have not seen the wolf.
More people go to newtek.com than Siggraph, to disappoint all these people in favour of a select few is not good. Did NT blow the world away with these new LW secrets? I don?t know because I havent seen anything yet. Would it have been better to have a simultaneous expose at newtek.com? Most definitely yes, the best event has been the interface preview/discussions.

Zafar Iqbal
08-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I think NT should have recorded the live sessions themselfs and lateron put them online for the visiters to view. By doing this it could have more of a "see how it went at Siggprah" oand not like "see how LW8" will be.

All the stuff they showed was on a work in progress base - and it seems that even the interface/workflow design wont be as showcased on Siggraph.

If i was considering LW, and saw LW7 interface, then official predemonstrations showing same interface as in Siggraph (not that there is anything wrong with it), and finally a third interface when LW8 got released, then i would think twice. NT wouldn't seem like a mature developer to me.

Maybe im totally of the track here, but whatever reasons they may have, i dont blame them for not showing anything officially on this site.

But what they ARE doing is involving the general community ( http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241 ) in some degree, wich i think is really great.

ackees
08-10-2003, 05:03 AM
The truth is that most people are quite able to understand work in progress, I am not sure what Siggraph did for NT, but what we do know is that NT would benefit greatly by including users in their development of LW8, to delay what was has already been exposed is a type of exclusion. I love the interface discussions (though events have shown the design proposals to be somewhere in the stone age in terms of interface design, the best thing now is to add the small improvements that were made and leave the interface as it is) NT could use its large user base to help it move forward, it needs help.
I am kind of against the secret expose thing because unless you have seriously groundbreaking developments you can ironically look a little dated.

ackees
08-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Little morsels of info now released but there should be a simultaneous newtek.com expose with Siggraph.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw8.php

chrisdz
08-12-2003, 09:55 PM
The email I got said things were on track for a Q4 release. I know they're busy and stuff, but I'd like to have something to get excited about. It seemed beyond absurd (more like... desperate) to post an upgrade offer with a deadline before they had even put up solid information about the new product. I tend not to respond well to "Buy this... trust us, it doesn't exist yet but we promise it won't suck."

ackees
08-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Yes, I thought after Siggraph all would be revealed, it will be very difficult to lay cash on the table with such little information and last minuite info wont give you time for propper evaluation. This delay will mean a delay in sales for NT.

colkai
08-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Ackees,
No-one is holding a gun to your head about the upgrade.
If you are so disheartened simply stick with what you have.
If that ain't enough - buy the competitors package, or wait, see if say 8.5c is more your cup of tea.

Me, I've plonked down the cash for the LW8/DFX+ because
a) It's a good deal
b) I am happy to pay the upgrade for the feautres already shown - for my projects - they are ideal!
c) I trust Proton, Deuce, Chuck and Lee when they say the final LW8.x will be amazing.
I think it will probably happen in so many "dot" releases rather than with the initial release, such is the nature of software, but I do think it will happen.

Sure, it won't be what everyone wants - but I don't think you can say failure to show the new features means a fail in sales.
On the point of the video, the new features are still being worked on. A video would have to be scripted, modelled, rendered & edited using features that are being added - so people would have to know how to use them, which logically is impossible as they aren't fully finished yet.
I'm writing a new piece of software at present - our clients can't demonstrate it to users yet - no different for Newtek, plus, I don't even have to produce a video...thank god - me on a video -arrgghh! ;)

As regards the videos from Siggraph - folks have put up mirrors to downloadable versions of the streams. That's all there is at present.
I do appreciate it is frustrating - trust me - I'm biting at the bit here :D

ackees
08-15-2003, 05:45 AM
OK colkai you are correct in a way, but I am a very visual person, I want to see it not read about it. I am not suggesting a complete display of everything, only some visual representation of what has been talked about (however rough). It is this openness and inclusion that NT need to work on. Seeing is believing.

colkai
08-15-2003, 01:24 PM
I think we'd all like to see more of what is going to be in LW8 - trouble is, just makes the waiting even more intense ;)

What I *am* hoping is that those who have upgraded get the chance to get hold of a 'getting started with LW8' type video/cd/download. That is one thing the upgraders tend to lose out on over folks who buy the full package - but we still gotta learn the new features.

Dunno how practical that would be for Newtek - but there you are.

ackees
08-15-2003, 03:57 PM
NT are missing something crucial here, the projection of ideas and the projection of LW capabilities are closely related. If the projection of ideas moves away to another product they loose the sale.