PDA

View Full Version : Shadows?

jkas
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
I have created a 3 layered object in modeler which i want rendering in layout for a still image. Im made a scene which consists of a floor and a wall for the object to sit on, set up a light and used classic camera: the outcome looks ok; it has rendered the materials, and shows the shading on my actual object. The problem is that their are no shadows that come of the object and onto the floor, this is really annoying as it takes away any realism and looks like the object is floating! Any suggestions please?

Also when i render it, product consists of a cylinder, it shows some jagged edges on the curve: reasons?

Andrew March
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Do you have ray tracing on for shadows?

Have you increased your Anti-aliasing settings to get rid of the jaggies?

All of these and many more answer can be found by......READING YOUR MANUAL :)

jkas
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
thanks alot, thats really helped me.
I cant find no manual!

Andrew March
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Where did you buy your copy of Lightwave from?

colkai
12-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Simple question,
Does your copy have a hardware 'dongle'? If not, then whoever you bought it off sold you an illegal copy. If you have a dongle, you should have also a DVD, check for PDF files, the manuals should be in the documentation folder off the root.

JBT27
12-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Or do you have a download copy?

Not sure if you can obtain LW by download only, or somewhere along the line you HAVE to start with a DVD.

If by chance you didn't see them and do have a download, the PDFs and HTML are separate.....aren't they?

We haven't had actual packaged product for ages now, but are perfectly legal with both licenses :)

Julian.

Surrealist.
12-04-2008, 05:23 AM
You can download a fully functioning trial version for 30 days. For that you don't need a dongle. I am pretty sure they give you the manual with that and it would be in the downloads page of your registration. In any case if you have registered it at all, then that is where it would be.

jkas
12-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Bought of ebay, how do i check this dongle?

CC Rider
12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
If you are using the software in you don't yet know what a dongle is, you are most likely using a cracked copy unfortunately.
The dongle key is a small device about the size of a pack of gum that plugs into the USB port on your computer. It's an antipiracy device that unlocks the software. The software will only work in Discovery Mode without this dongle unless the software has been cracked.

Sorry if you have bought a bogus copy of LW.
You have to look out for those "evil doers" on ebay!
:devil:

jkas
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh, great...

jkas
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
And i still have no manual:stumped:

colkai
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Easy, you should have either a little USB thingy which you plug in in order to make the software work. http://www.onevideo.co.uk/images/dongle.jpg
The bigger white one is the old parallel port dongle, new ones are USB.
Without that, you have I'm afraid been duped into buying illegal software.

A simple thing is, if it cost less than 100 quid, yup, it's illegal and if so, I would strongly recommend you cease using it as Newtek rightly are quite keen on pursuing illegal use.

If it is illegal, then may I suggest you get hold of the latest version of Blender (free), I'm not even sure if Microsoft are still allowing people to download TrueSpace 7.6 for free either. This will get you into 3D without costing you or being illegal. :)

Andrew March
12-05-2008, 11:43 PM
My best advice would be to contact ebay and report the seller for selling pirate software, you'll get your money back. Next, start saving and come back when your legit, you won't find any help being illegal.

Exception
12-08-2008, 02:15 AM
And i still have no manual:stumped:

You can download and register the demo version of LightWave. This will give you access to the registration pages for free. Here you can download the manual for free.

Then, if you like it, you can buy the program legally, after reporting that scammer, and happily LightWave along.

But you can always come here to ask questions as well :)