PDA

View Full Version : Ever have this happen to you?

virtualcomposer
12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
When I was a kid, I always was facinated and awed by special effects and film music.. The thing I always thought was that of a few things. First, I always said to myself, how can you rock out on a music keyboard, orchestra music would be way to complicated to compose, 3D animation is way beyond my capabilities, and keeping in touch with my old friends would be impossible. I have been proven wrong on all accounts. I found that the very thing that I thought was impossible only made me want to learn it more and be the best. Thanks to better orchestral sampling, aucoustic reverb, Lightwave, Apple, and a determination to learn including knowing that the more you know the more you know more people that know much more. LOL. But everything that I said was impossible are things that I persued. Were any of you that way?

Maxx
12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I remember many, many years ago I was working at a job as a temp writing user manuals and answering tech help, and I was asked to drop off a couple old computers at the home of a friend of the owner. We (the friend and I) got to talking, and come to find out he was doing 3D animation in his attic, and the systems were for a render farm. So, being the geek that I was, I asked to see his set-up. We tromped up stairs and he showed me a couple boxes cabled together and a very simple animation or two. Then he (with amazing smugness and grandiosity) pointed out that he was using Lightwave to create the animations, and that "this will be the closest I'll [that being me] ever be able to get to that type of graphics software..."

Jackass.

The nice thing is, he inadvertently introduced me to the possibilities of actually producing 3D on a home PC. I went on to buy Ray Dream Studio (it was cheaper at the time, and I knew I could swap to LW later - I'd done the research by then), then upgraded that to LW 5.6 a bit later. And then I realized just how basic his objects, surfacing, and animation were - even back then! :devil:

jameswillmott
12-03-2008, 11:23 PM
When I was a kid, I always was facinated and awed by special effects and film music.. The thing I always thought was that of a few things. First, I always said to myself, how can you rock out on a music keyboard, orchestra music would be way to complicated to compose, 3D animation is way beyond my capabilities, and keeping in touch with my old friends would be impossible. I have been proven wrong on all accounts. I found that the very thing that I thought was impossible only made me want to learn it more and be the best. Thanks to better orchestral sampling, aucoustic reverb, Lightwave, Apple, and a determination to learn including knowing that the more you know the more you know more people that know much more. LOL. But everything that I said was impossible are things that I persued. Were any of you that way?

Mine's very simple. When I was very small, I remember not being able to read, thinking it was impossible, and wishing more than anything that I could, so that I could read a story to my Dad for once instead of the other way around... :D

jin choung
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
nah,

everything i'm doing now i thought definitely was in my grasp.

ever since i realized i understood what they were talking about in "the making of the return of the jedi" special on tv as a kid, i just read and read until i started being able to do stuff with my super 8mm camera and was making plans on how i can get my hands on large glass condensers to make my own optical printer.

my theory on learning anything (and i mean ANYTHING new)... 3 books on the subject by 3 different authors cover to cover flat on my back, about 2 months of web and magazine reading to get the zeitgeist of the subject. at that point, you're not an expert but you're good to go.

(as an aside, i learned lw by reading the dan ablan's lw POWER GUIDE and the manuals for lw 5.5 from cover to cover [did NOT own a computer that could run lw back then]). when i sat in front of lw, i knew how to do it.)

i never thought they were outside of my ability to comprehend or do but i always thought it was out of reach in terms of MONEY. those condensers were fing expensive!

but through the miracle of full time work, many things become possible. and now with after effects, i don't need condensers anymore. thank goodness i couldn't afford them back then!

jin

colkai
12-04-2008, 02:39 AM
everything that I said was impossible are things that I persued. Were any of you that way?

Daily!
Often I think, gosh, that's too difficult for me, but with time and perseverance, I can find that I understand more and learn more. Looking back, I then wonder why I found the idea so daunting.
Even the same with my voluntary work with birds of prey, I recall being terrified of them when I first volunteered, now, for the life of me, I cannot recall how that was possible. :)

Musically, nothing gives me greater pleasure than to play something I thought I'd never be able to do. Lightwave wise, I have to tip my hat to Sean over at F3D, his Serenity tutorial showed me I was capable of modelling something of far more complexity than I ever dreamed I could.

Each time this happens, it drives me to try harder and aim higher, using each learned action as a stepping stone.

adrian
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
As I was never able to draw as a kid (other than using tracing paper) I always thought it would be impossible for me to create any kind of artwork.

To this day I still remember the feeling of total elation when I looked at my first creation in TrueSpace (in 1998 - started using LW 6.5 in 2000) and thinking "wow! I did that!" - so I'll forever be grateful that I have the chance to use technology to work around my natural limitations.

Same goes for music... now I own a synthesiser and good audio software I can create complex layered music which would have been impossible beforehand.

Matt
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I always have doubted my abilities, even now, I feel like I'm just wingin' it and really know nothing!

My friends keep asking why I don't go freelance doing 3D, and I tell them "because compared to everyone else out there, I'm very average" then I show them some of the work in the LW gallery and say "that's what I'm up against!"

Ho-hum, the curse of the artist!

Titus
12-04-2008, 01:17 PM
When I was starting/switching career from astronomy to 3D a shmuck said I'll never have luck doing 3D, well, 11 years later I'm still here and don't have an idea where is he.