PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial uploads

robk
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I wonder if Newtek would create a space on their web site for users to upload video tutorials they have produced. I have made some Autocad tutorials in the past that I have given to people who wanted to learn features of the program and have got lots of positive feedback on them. I have no place to post videos now since I don't have webspace to upload them to.
I know William Vaughn (sp?) has created many videos I have watched and learnt from and I wouldn't mind giving back by doing some myself. I am not anywhere near an expert in Lightwave but there are always some tricks that can be shown in a video that would help others.
If we all got together as a community and produced some videos we could really get our community rolling.

Some ideas for videos might be:
- showing how to use sun/sky plugin
- some more samples of cloth and hardfx
- Using HDInstance2 (I can some on that)
- Demonstrating any plugins (free or otherwise)
- etc

Newtek could review them for content before posting them.

Anyways just an idea.

Silkrooster
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Try http://www.vfxcast.com/index.php
Silk

robk
12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
That probably will work but i thought if stored on the Newtek site it would be more lightwave specific versus uploading to a generic site

VFXCast
12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Hello,

We have a growing number of videos on LightWave 3D and support products for LightWave.

We would live to have more videos from users on LightWave 3D!

Thanks for your support.

Matt
12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hello,

We have a growing number of videos on LightWave 3D and support products for LightWave.

Thanks for your support.

Cool, didn't know about this site, have registered!

Which format would you recommend for the sharpest, clearest videos? (Basically does the site re-encode uploaded videos like YouTube does?)

Also, what is the preferred dimensions for videos?

Mitja
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Cool site! I signed up too!

mac
12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your support.

Unless I am missing something, I only see "sample" videos :thumbsdow

Matt
12-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Gotta register (free) to get access.

Silkrooster
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
VFXCast,
Maybe you could create a webmaster page. I would love to use a few images to promote your site on mine. Right now I just have a link on my links page.
Silk

geothefaust
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah been hitting this site up for a bit. It's pretty cool. I don't want TV, but I do enjoy a good 3D tutorial video. This site has helped with my unquenchable thirst for videos.

VFXCast
12-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Cool, didn't know about this site, have registered!

Which format would you recommend for the sharpest, clearest videos? (Basically does the site re-encode uploaded videos like YouTube does?)

Also, what is the preferred dimensions for videos?

Yes, we reencode the videos into flash like YouTube does. For the best looking videos, I would suggest uploading a QuickTime file thats around 30-60 megs. We can handle up to 100 megs per video file but if your connection is not fast that can cause an issue.

Cool site! I signed up too!

Thanks!

You need to register, if you continue to have issues PM me here or email me at admin at domain dot com.

VFXCast,
Maybe you could create a webmaster page. I would love to use a few images to promote your site on mine. Right now I just have a link on my links page.
Silk

Will do, where would you like us to send the images, is PM here okay?

Yeah been hitting this site up for a bit. It's pretty cool. I don't want TV, but I do enjoy a good 3D tutorial video. This site has helped with my unquenchable thirst for videos.

Thank you, were adding more everyday!

Silkrooster
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't think the PM's here support attachments. I don't recall about inline images. Anyway, if it doesn't feel free to email at (silk at silkrooster dot com)
Silk

mac
12-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Gotta register (free) to get access.

Umm, I registered about 6 months ago.. access is not a problem. As I mentioned earlier, all I see are sample videos from Kurv

VFXCast
12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think the PM's here support attachments. I don't recall about inline images. Anyway, if it doesn't feel free to email at (silk at silkrooster dot com)
Silk

Silkrooster, I will email you some images today, thank you for your support. If we can do anything to help you, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Umm, I registered about 6 months ago.. access is not a problem. As I mentioned earlier, all I see are sample videos from Kurv

I know Kurv Studios has a lot of videos online but I dont think they are all just samples.

We have almost 3,000 videos online something is wrong if you only see a few samples.

mac
12-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I know Kurv Studios has a lot of videos online but I dont think they are all just samples.

We have almost 3,000 videos online something is wrong if you only see a few samples.

We are talking about Lightwave tutorials are we not :lwicon:

Matt
12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Some ideas for videos might be:
- showing how to use sun/sky plugin

Scratch that one off! :D

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92551

VFXCast
12-06-2008, 05:27 PM
We are talking about Lightwave tutorials are we not :lwicon:

Yes, well not only tutorials but demo reels, example shots, and yes some sample videos I am sure. We have 47 pages or more than 370 videos dedicated to LightWave.

Here are some of the tutorials we have online from Kurv Studios.

IKBooster part 1 of many 17+ minutes long
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/164/IK_Booster_Free_Training_Session_01/

Abstract Art Tutorial part 1 of 6 20+ minutes long
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/334/Abstract_Art_by_Tim_Dunn_-_Part_01/

Creating Lighting effects by Nicholas Boughen
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/116/LightWave_3D_LightArray/

Modeling
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1276/Transport-Ship-Modeling---Part-01/

Particles - Pixie Dust
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/818/LightWave_3D_Particles_Pixie_Dust/

Looks like kurv has a page or two of sample videos but they have a lot of free training online.

We are doing our best to bring what free tutorials are available to you, thats our goal.

Let us know if you have any issues.

JeffrySG
12-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I started to make a playlist for my favorite LW videos on vfx cast too:

http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/lightwave-videos/

JeffrySG
12-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Does anyone else have some major audio sync problems on VFXCast? Not sure if it's due to the site or the videos that are uploaded...

Silkrooster
12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah i do, but haven't had time to mention this to VFXCast yet. BTW VFXCast your pm on this forum states you are not excepting pm's. It may be wise to have that feature enable to keep this kind of thing private.

mac
12-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, well not only tutorials but demo reels, example shots, and yes some sample videos I am sure. We have 47 pages or more than 370 videos dedicated to LightWave.

Here are some of the tutorials we have online from Kurv Studios.

IKBooster part 1 of many 17+ minutes long
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/164/IK_Booster_Free_Training_Session_01/

Abstract Art Tutorial part 1 of 6 20+ minutes long
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/334/Abstract_Art_by_Tim_Dunn_-_Part_01/

Creating Lighting effects by Nicholas Boughen
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/116/LightWave_3D_LightArray/

Modeling
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1276/Transport-Ship-Modeling---Part-01/

Particles - Pixie Dust
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/818/LightWave_3D_Particles_Pixie_Dust/

Looks like kurv has a page or two of sample videos but they have a lot of free training online.

We are doing our best to bring what free tutorials are available to you, thats our goal.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great your site has many many tutorials. The sample tutorials are really just short advertisements that I find are useless as far as a tutorial goes. You also have incomplete tutorials that are not all that helpful.

I think if you got rid of the sample tutorials and the incomplete ones, navigating through them would be easier.

Kudos to you for the effort of combining these tutorials and my nits are only my opinion.

cheers :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
12-07-2008, 10:56 AM
^it would be nice to at least have an option to turn off sample videos in searches. Or maybe an option to have them show up at the end of searches, etc.

robk
12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
The few Lightwave samples I have tried to watch on VXF Cast have the sound so out of sync on the videos that they are useless to watch. (one dynamics one about a circus tent and a subd's and tris in Lightwave tutorial)

Has anyone else had this problem? We tried viewing the videos on a couple of machines with the same results. Nothing worse than trying to watch a tutorial that is 5 to 15 second out of sync. (yes 15 seconds, I timed it)

And yes we have a fast internet connection (5 mbps). I thought it was my slower connection (1.5 mbps) at home last night but it was the same at work.

JeffrySG
12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
^this was mentioned a few posts above already. :)

VFXCast
12-11-2008, 01:17 AM
The few Lightwave samples I have tried to watch on VXF Cast have the sound so out of sync on the videos that they are useless to watch. (one dynamics one about a circus tent and a subd's and tris in Lightwave tutorial)

Has anyone else had this problem? We tried viewing the videos on a couple of machines with the same results. Nothing worse than trying to watch a tutorial that is 5 to 15 second out of sync. (yes 15 seconds, I timed it)

And yes we have a fast internet connection (5 mbps). I thought it was my slower connection (1.5 mbps) at home last night but it was the same at work.

We will look into this robk, I think those videos were uploaded very early in our launch. I will check on them.

Thanks for letting us know.

Matt
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Posting this here as Paul (I think it's Paul) has been participating.

I tried uploading some of my video tutorials to VFXCast, couple of issues:

- When it's finished uploading my browser (FireFox) sits there with a busy cursor, so you think it's not quite done (despite saying upload complete). Not sure whether it's a FireFox problem or the site, either way, you're not sure if it's fully uploaded.

- There is no where on the site where it tells you the dimensions of the videos. I want to re-render mine to the native size, because they are horribly stretched.

- Which brings me on to the next issue, I want to delete the stretched videos and re-upload them, but when I try and delete a video I get this error:

"Fatal error: Class 'FTP' not found in /home/kurvdown/public_html/common/functions/functions_media.php on line 77"

Hopefully these issues can be sorted.

Cheers
Matt

VFXCast
12-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Posting this here as Paul (I think it's Paul) has been participating.

I tried uploading some of my video tutorials to VFXCast, couple of issues:

Thank you I will do all I can to help, we appreciate it.

- When it's finished uploading my browser (FireFox) sits there with a busy cursor, so you think it's not quite done (despite saying upload complete). Not sure whether it's a FireFox problem or the site, either way, you're not sure if it's fully uploaded.

This is due to the video being rendered to flash by the server. I will ask the web team to adjust the text so users know what is happening.

- There is no where on the site where it tells you the dimensions of the videos. I want to re-render mine to the native size, because they are horribly stretched.

I will ask the web team to work on this as well.

- Which brings me on to the next issue, I want to delete the stretched videos and re-upload them, but when I try and delete a video I get this error:

Not a problem, I will put them in purgatory until you get them re-rendered. We will also work on that error, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Hopefully these issues can be sorted.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks Matt, we will work on it.

geothefaust
12-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey there!

Is anyone having issues tonight with the VFXcast.com site? I can only load up the main page, but can't go to any other pages from there, nor can I login... :(

Matt
12-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks Matt, we will work on it.

Cheers!

You must be doing something I guess, because I can't log in at all now! I get this:

"There has been an error with your database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned
Could not find database!

We apologise for any inconvenience"

geothefaust
12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey Matt,

That's what I'm getting too. Hope it gets fixed soon.

VFXCast
12-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Matt, geothefaust,

Yes we were working on the entire system doing some tweaking on the audio sync issue and improving the upload limits.

Matt, the video dimensions are 720 x 540, we are also adding verbiage to the upload pages to assist as well. Changes coming, thank you for helping us make the site better.

Matt
12-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Ahhh cool!

geothefaust
12-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Glad to hear things are improving. :)

waly
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I think even though with some slight problems and stuff, vfxcast.com is the best resource of free lw tutorials on the net.

My compliments on that, but i thing that it needs to be promoted more, i don't blame the administrator, of the site or anyone else i'm sure that they are doing their best, but the idea is that, we as lw society should promote it some more because it really is a very useful site.

here is another idea why don't you get the rid of all other tutorials except the lw ones and make some kind of official lw tutorial site kind of being a site dedicated only to lwavers. No heart feelings vfxcast.com it s just an idea.

VFXCast
12-31-2008, 12:16 AM
I think even though with some slight problems and stuff, vfxcast.com is the best resource of free lw tutorials on the net.

My compliments on that, but i thing that it needs to be promoted more, i don't blame the administrator, of the site or anyone else i'm sure that they are doing their best, but the idea is that, we as lw society should promote it some more because it really is a very useful site.

here is another idea why don't you get the rid of all other tutorials except the lw ones and make some kind of official lw tutorial site kind of being a site dedicated only to lwavers. No heart feelings vfxcast.com it s just an idea.

Thank you, we have worked very hard on the site to get it running, almost a year of coding. Thank you for recognizing the site is free, and a labor of love for the visual effects community. We are not completly selfless, we are looking to make money on advertising.

Our focus is to make the community better. Why not focus on the LightWave community? We focus on all communities so we can provide advertisers a better site to market through. Nothing is free :).

Your job is to make your corner of the site better than others. NewTek, LightWave enthusiasts, studios, artists, it is all your jobs to pass knowledge on to others. This is how the craft will expand and how new users will find out about LightWave.

We will begin marketing the site more once we get more videos online. Things have been grass roots until we are ready.

Thank for your support, we would appreciate any news you could spread about the site.

Matt
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Matt, the video dimensions are 720 x 540, we are also adding verbiage to the upload pages to assist as well. Changes coming, thank you for helping us make the site better.

Cool, that info also needs adding to the "About Uploading..." text when you upload, serves as a reminder.

Have to say though, as the site is promoted as a video tutorial site. The video dimensions would be useful if they were a reduction of a full screen recording of 1280 x 1024, so instead of 720 x 540, be 720 x 576?

In fact, why is it 720 x 540? It seems like close to PAL DV at 720 x 576 but not quite.

Makes things easier for tutorial writers maybe?

VFXCast
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Cool, that info also needs adding to the "About Uploading..." text when you upload, serves as a reminder.

Have to say though, as the site is promoted as a video tutorial site. The video dimensions would be useful if they were a reduction of a full screen recording of 1280 x 1024, so instead of 720 x 540, be 720 x 576?

In fact, why is it 720 x 540? It seems like close to PAL DV at 720 x 576 but not quite.

Makes things easier for tutorial writers maybe?

Matt, geothefaust, waly, I can not answer why the size was what it was, as we hired someone else to edit these features for us. They were in the UK so that might be the issue. i can also say it may not totally be their fault either as we have changed the players colors since then and the play bar is a bit larger. That may have pushed the video size up a little in height.

Anyway, based on your suggestions, yes we listen, we have adjusted the site. Our web designer took the holiday and worked on all aspects of the sites video page. Hope we dont get billed for holiday pay "eek".

We made the video output size for the player is 730 x 584 (1280 x 1024 reduced), a little larger than your suggested size but hey, bigger is better right?

We have also added more instruction to the upload section, as well as a dedicated page to help with this here - http://www.vfxcast.com/index.php?view=howto_upload

Thanks for the suggestions, were listening and working on these items as you bring them up.

Please take a look at the site again Matt and do let me know if you have any issues uploading after looking over the new instruction.

We are working on a video for this as well. Just need the attractive lady to hand the script to.

Cheers

geothefaust
01-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Awesome! Keep up the great work. Love your guys' site. :)