PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a car with parts. Help, please

vector
08-08-2003, 05:39 AM
Hi again:

I modeled a car with all its parts in a same block, but somebody suggest to me to do it with separated parts.

I began this car again applying this way, but i canīt get a unified model so i would need a tutorial about modeling a car using this way.

Yes, iīm a beginner :D

Vector :cool:

prospector
08-08-2003, 06:19 AM
I modeled a car with all its parts in a same block

You mean layer?

but i canīt get a unified model

HU?

If I get what you are trying to say then you modeled the whole thing in 1 layer and you need to seperate all the pieces to different layers.

If you named each piece you modeled with a different surface, then go to the popup window with surfaces listed and highlite each surface (one at a time), hit x on keyboard then highlight a new layer up in top right corner of screen and hit v.
it will put that piece there.
And if you don't move anything before you save, when you load into layout it will all line up exactly as it is in modeler.

If you didn't name each surface, or name each part, adn everything is just called 'default' then you have to highlite the polys for each part by hand, then do the rest.

vector
08-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Sorry, Prospector.

I must learn better english, if not i will get you crazy.

I modeled the different pieces in different layers. You know: door in a layer, bonnet in another layer, bumper in another, etc.

But when i want adjust them ( in their respective layers, i donīt want weld this pieces), i must spend a lot of time. My car seems a frankensteincar, not homogeneus. I think it must be a easier way, maybe a tutorial you know could help me.

I hope you can see what I want mean in spite of my bad english.

Thanks and sorry again:

Vector :cool:

toby
08-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Do you know how to put layers in the background? Or show 2 layers at once? (hold the shift key when you click on another layer)

here's a car tutorial
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index.html