PDA

View Full Version : No video shots on Mars?

virtualcomposer
12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I was wondering, we have video of men on the moon but how come we never see video of what mars looks like? It's always pictures. Even if it's to much info to send through space, why not at least shoot a low res video to see mars as it happens. I'm impressed with the picture but wonder why there never seems to be video other then the moon and earth.

adamredwoods
12-01-2008, 11:43 PM
My guess is that it just wasn't programmed to get video, because the frame rate would be too low. Or not enough motion, and it'd be too boring. They did get successive still photos, so that's as close as I've seen.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/index.cfm?id=788

virtualcomposer
12-02-2008, 12:27 AM
it just seems to me that NASA would have the tech to do it and I for one would think it facinating to see Mars live.

Jarno
12-02-2008, 01:17 AM
There simply isn't enough scientific justification for including a video camera to overcome the negatives of increased complexity, energy budget, computer power, receiver costs, space, and mass.

---JvdL---

Wickster
12-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Someone forgot to attach a TriCaster on the robot. :D

doimus
12-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Russians had video of mars atmosphere recorded, but then evil aliens shut the probe down.

virtualcomposer
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
There simply isn't enough scientific justification for including a video camera to overcome the negatives of increased complexity, energy budget, computer power, receiver costs, space, and mass.

---JvdL---

then they should shoot it black and white so they don't have to mess with colour blending.

JeffrySG
12-02-2008, 08:50 AM
They did have this 'video' of the clouds on mars. But it really is just a time lapse movie made of stills. It's a movie none the less...

http://jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/images.php?fileID=15777

biliousfrog
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
then they should shoot it black and white so they don't have to mess with colour blending.

Didn't they shoot some photo's in B&W and colour them to make them look Mars-like?

danielkaiser
12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
It's a bandwidth issue, I think they are still using 56k modems on those things, any higher speeds would require more power, the video from the moon was a direct analog feed, unlike the rovers digital signal.

Liber777
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Didn't they shoot some photo's in B&W and colour them to make them look Mars-like?

The Viking imagery was all B&W IIRC.

Liber777
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
...there never seems to be video...

Pan and scan, baby.

Elmar Moelzer
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
yeah thats for some reasons people are to affraid to put a nuclear reactor on space ships and probes... Irrational fears...

Speedmonk42
12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Video would anger the robots.

Also what exactly is there to shoot of?

virtualcomposer
12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I just think it would be cool to see mars in real time like a handcam look. It would feel more personal like I was there. Of course that's my favorite way to animate so maybe I'm bias.

John Jordan
12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
What would you see? Pan left slowly....now, pan right slowly...hmmm is that dust blowing a bit over there? Pan left slowly... Pan right slowly...etc.

dwburman
12-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't know what the camera equip is like on the current rover, but I think (in the vagaries of my memory of something that happened a decade ago) the first one had a hi-res B&W camera and a lower res color camera and they combined the two to make the nice color pictures we all saw.

Nangleator
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Geez, I bet they don't even have stereo mics, either. I bet it sounds like one of those planets on Lost in Space. That would be cool.

jin choung
12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
What would you see? Pan left slowly....now, pan right slowly...hmmm is that dust blowing a bit over there? Pan left slowly... Pan right slowly...etc.

lol... haha... that's true. but what's the point of taking pictures then? yeah, you see rocks and rubble and ground... you could've taken that shot anywhere.

but the point of the dull video would be like the point of the pics... to see what an alien place looks like... in this case - in motion.

-------------------------

good question too... i mean as small as electronics are these days, i can't imagine it would take very much to add a vid cam... hell, just duct tape an iphone on it and see if we can just call it and have it take remote vid!

but yah, i know nothing of the vagaries of space flight but i would imagine it has to do with weight. their stingy as f about weight.

jin