PDA

View Full Version : Flash FLV options?

starbase1
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I have some FLV flash video that works just fine in a web page, and some that doesn't, and I can't work out what I need to do to get one that works consistently...

Is there anything that will look at an FLV file, and tell me what options it is using?

I'm sure this should be REALLY easy, but right now it's defeating me...
Nick

hazmat777
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I think Applian's free FLV player will show you some file info.

Silkrooster
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe Adobe's free media player will play flv files. It wouldn't hurt to check their site and check on the file formats.
Silk

starbase1
12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I think Applian's free FLV player will show you some file info.

I just tried it, good idea but it fails to identify audio or video codecs on ANY clip I have tried so far!!!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick

Silkrooster
12-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Ah, I miss read your post. I thought you wanted to play the flv without a browser.
Did you try a search on download.com?
Silk

philipsavage
12-02-2008, 04:04 AM
There is a little application that will give you the properties and MetaData of an FLV file. Its free to download at.
http://www.asvguy.com/2006/08/flv_metadata_vi.html
Hope it helps

cresshead
12-02-2008, 04:18 AM
try vlc player as this has some diagnostic tool in it and it's free.

starbase1
12-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Ah, I miss read your post. I thought you wanted to play the flv without a browser.
Did you try a search on download.com?
Silk

I've tried a few tools, but I'm not getting anywhere... To take a step back and describe the problem more fully might be an idea.

I want to put video clips into my web albums. I'm using JAlbum, and the author of the skin I use recommended flash as the most reliably viewable format, which seemed to be the case. I was able to convert a bunch of clips, and they worked just fine, (using Camtasia to make them). But now the clips I make, still using Camtasia, are NOT playing, and I have no idea what I am doing differently. The clips play fine directly, in things like VLC, (which shows the good and bad as using the same codec), so I'm trying to find something that will look at the output file and spot whats different.

I don't see how it can be JAlbum because I have good and bad in the same project, so it should be using the same settings for both.

starbase1
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Mystery solved, it's not working because I have a "&" character in the folder name.

Doh!

Silkrooster
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Glad you figured it out.
Silk