PDA

View Full Version : Any known problems with modeler opengl + 8800GTX + 64bit?

grimoirecg
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm having endless crashing problems in modeler unless I use legacy open gl (and legacy is as slow as hell) but otherwise I crash all the time, change a surface colour = crash, click on a different layer often crashes, load an image map often crashes, and also a lot of gl drawing errors, where other objects that are open show up as ghost images until I refresh the view.
Yes, I have the latest drivers. I also tried deleting all my CFG files.
No problems in layout at all.

Dan_NT
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I have an 8800GTS 640MB myself (G88 GPU) and have never had any problems with it myself running LightWave but I've always run it under 32-bit operating systems.

If you're already on the latest drivers you can always try the beta or old drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us) instead.

You can also try going into the NVIDIA Control Panel and under 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings press Restore to default your settings to software standards. Custom settings can cause problems in LightWave so also remove any profiles for Modeler or Layout you may have created under Program Settings.

Also, are you operating on XP 64 or Vista 64?

grimoirecg
12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm on xp64. I've tried messing around with all settings in the control panel, the usual suspects such as single/dual display and multithreading, as well as having default settings.
I don't like to start changing to older drivers since there's a good chance some other app will then get bugged. Currently this modeler problem is the only issue I have, and since using legacy fixes it, it's not worth messing around too much, but it is annoying since legacy openGL is so slow in comparison.
These crashes have become more and more frequent, to the point where it crashes literally every time I try to change a surface colour in modeler even on a simple cube object, or get weird drawing errors unless I use legacy openGL.

grimoirecg
12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I think I've sourced the problem with the crashing while changing surface colours at least.
It's to do with the LW colour picker dialogue. I switched to using the default windows dialogue and it works fine, changed back to LW colour picker, and it goes back to crashing.

Hopper
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, I think I've sourced the problem with the crashing while changing surface colours at least.
It's to do with the LW colour picker dialogue. I switched to using the default windows dialogue and it works fine, changed back to LW colour picker, and it goes back to crashing.

Odd. I was having similar problems the other day. Super simple model -> 'Q' -> name the surface -> pick color via standard color picker-> Close the dialog -> crash.

However, it didn't happen if it was either in layer 1, or I left it in it's original layer, but made sure both layer 1 and current layer were selected as foreground.

And I also have the OGL issue, when changing colors in full screen perspective mode. Half my model either disappears until I refresh, or the geometry goes ape-shlt until I go back to multi-windowed mode.