PDA

View Full Version : 3D Coat: DX vs. GL

BlueApple
12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I have been playing with the demo of 3D Coat and am very impressed so far. The integration with Lightwave is really impressive.

My question is this: When I downloaded the demo I got two .exe files. One has a "GL" and one a "DX" at the tail end of the file name. Am I right in assuming that one uses Open GL and one uses Direct X? If so, how should I determine which to use? Examine my video card? Both seem to run fine, without any discernable difference between the two.

Any thoughts?

RedBull
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I have been playing with the demo of 3D Coat and am very impressed so far. The integration with Lightwave is really impressive.

My question is this: When I downloaded the demo I got two .exe files. One has a "GL" and one a "DX" at the tail end of the file name. Am I right in assuming that one uses Open GL and one uses Direct X? If so, how should I determine which to use? Examine my video card? Both seem to run fine, without any discernable difference between the two.

Any thoughts?

Yes the 3DCoat forums are here: ;)
http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/index.php?

DX versions only work in Windows and are optimized for consumer level graphics cards (Geforce, Radeon), OGL version is faster on professional Quadro cards. So unless you have a Quadro, or are a Mac/Linux person, DX version is likely to be better suited to your hardware.

BlueApple
12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your response, Red Bull. I figured the 3D Coat site likely had the answer but I have restricted web access at work... just couldn't wait until I got home for the answer :)