PDA

View Full Version : Best way to create painted asphalt lines?

snsmoore
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
What are some techniques for creating painted asphalt for lines in a parking lot or lines on a street?

I'm looking for something that balances ease with quality. (don't need a perfect solution, but want something that will have some bump to in if I zoom in on an animation)

Also I'm open to using 3rd party tools if it will make the job easier.

Any ideas???

-shawn

Lew
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Did an airport scene once, just painted a representation of the runway and taxi ways in Photoshop and added a bump to the ground poly. Worked like a champ. I got fairly close, so I did a high pixel PS file.

snsmoore
12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
How big of texture did you have to create? I'm finding I that 2048x2048 isn't going to be big enough for the detail to look the least bit real.

Too bad there wasn't a way to use a vectored file for texturing....is there.....????

cresshead
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
there's probably a procedual way of doing it but you could use uv's and repeat the uv info also so keeping the res high and the bmp file size low.

or make it with polys!:hey:

Scazzino
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
What are some techniques for creating painted asphalt for lines in a parking lot or lines on a street?

I'm looking for something that balances ease with quality. (don't need a perfect solution, but want something that will have some bump to in if I zoom in on an animation)

Also I'm open to using 3rd party tools if it will make the job easier.

Any ideas???

-shawn

I used a repeating seamless Photoshop segment of a straight road uv mapped onto a straight 3D roadway that I then curved for this street fly-by (http://dreamlight.com/media/videos/3d/WH_3D_AnimStreetN.mov.html). This wasn't really intended to be photo-real, but given more time it could have been... It's a little wavy at the intersections since the polygons got twisted a little... that could also have been improved, but this was just an interim version since the project and street kept changing...

archijam
12-10-2008, 01:12 PM
There was this (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75064) thread which might be helpful ..

Not sure if Captain Obvious worked further on this.

snsmoore
12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Good suggestions and I like the Captain Obvious asphalt texture.

I started down the road (no pun intended....honest!) of using polygons, but then when I realized that it would be a nightmare for a parking lot, I thought the uv route would be the best.

I'll try the repeating uv textures, that may be the best way to get resolution without a super-gigantic bitmap.

-shawn

Lew
12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=snsmoore;793543]How big of texture did you have to create? I'm finding I that 2048x2048 isn't going to be big enough for the detail to look the least bit real.
QUOTE]

I did 2880X1440 blocks for plain asphault and a block for each type of line, and then tiled them as needed. Was just a little tedious getting all the line ends to match, but it did work.