PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry not working!

Breed47
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi!
I just fired up LW9.5 and started modeling a dude. As I always do, I create a box, center it and push the "Symmetry" button. But it wont work!!!! Why? Any of you got this problem too?

Thanx in advance.

Breed47
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Nevermind. I restarted LW and it works properly now. Sorry.

Breed47
12-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Strange. I got this problem when creating a box and adding segments with the arrow keys. Bug?

Valter
12-04-2008, 08:46 AM
LW Symmetry never worked 100%. I heard thatīs a problem in the LW core program.

Sensei
12-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Strange. I got this problem when creating a box and adding segments with the arrow keys. Bug?

Apparently points are not symmetrical - select them and press 'i' and compare x positions.. Change even 0.000001 means that points are no longer symmetrical..

If you need stable symmetry you can get TrueArt's VirtualMirror.. Example video ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Vmirror.mov

IMI
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
LW Symmetry never worked 100%. I heard thatīs a problem in the LW core program.

What I usually do is check my center point locations with the Information panel from time to time if things start getting weird and then use the Set Value tool on them. And every now and then I find it necessary to cut the model in half down the Z axis and mirror the good side, with weld points selected.

Stooch
12-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I regularly select my middle loop points and then set value to 0 on my mirror axis.

Breed47
12-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanx guys!
Sensei, Iīll defenitly try the Virtual Mirror. You see, thatīs another problem I got. When deleting half of the geometry and mirroring it, sometimes the polygons and vertexes closest to the centerline doesnīt get effected in symmetry mode. So the Virtual Mirror will solve it.

Iīll try the other options too.

Thanx!

Richard Hebert
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
This brings up a little problem that I've been experiencing using the mirror feature. Points are welded (I selected and examined them) but I still get this seam down the middle. When I try to use bandglue on them I get a message that tells me to select continuous quad polys. Do I need to go into the mesh and repair these seam polys manually on a one by one basis?

Thanks,
Richard

Sensei
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
It looks like 2 point polygon line.. Open Polygon Properties, then press + on 2 point polygon row, and hit delete.. Should be fine.. :)

Mat
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
It can depend on what tools you use, bevel and multishift along the center line don't usualy work out too good.

Richard Hebert
12-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Sensei, that's what the problem turned out to be. I assumed that since points were welded that automatically meant that any edges were also. Still getting used to the idea of 1 point polys. Kind of misleading, single point polys (poly meaning more than one...) anyway, thanks for the tip on cleaning them up. That will be very handy for this beginning project. Thanks to all of you for your input and tips. Good to know that you're out there.

Richard

Sensei
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
From math point of view it's not polygon, but it's sometimes useful for 3d graphics and 3d software developer.. See for example EasyMesh http://easymesh.trueart.pl.. When you have empty layer, you can click right mouse button anywhere to make 1 point polygon, then when you click right mouse button again and draw, it's extended to 2 point polygon, then another right click on it and you have quad..
If there would be limit of 3 points polygon, user would have no choice and have to use some other tool to make geometry in the first place to work with..

Richard Hebert
12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
There's a lot to learn and I see that I have my work cut out for me. Thank you for the shortcuts and the poly info.

Richard