PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

rakennedy75
08-07-2003, 10:07 PM
I am experimenting with different lighting effects...

I am using a spot light with volumetric settings behind an object that has a shape cut out of it. I am trying to achieve a light shining through this shape so that the area of the spotlight that is covered will not show. What is happening is that it is still showing the circle of of the spot light as if it were going through the shape(like it was transparent or something). This shape is solid.

Is there a reason for this or a way to keep this from happening.?

I appreciate any help, thanks for the time.

Baloney Pony
08-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by rakennedy75
I am experimenting with different lighting effects...

I am using a spot light with volumetric settings behind an object that has a shape cut out of it. I am trying to achieve a light shining through this shape so that the area of the spotlight that is covered will not show. What is happening is that it is still showing the circle of of the spot light as if it were going through the shape(like it was transparent or something). This shape is solid.

Is there a reason for this or a way to keep this from happening.?

I appreciate any help, thanks for the time.

If it is a single polygon in thickness, make sure double sided is turned on.

If it is a raytraced light, make sure raytraced is turned on.

Shadowmaped lights will render faster with volumetrics.

Maimo
08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
also if you want the object to have an eclipse like look, All black then you'll want to turn down the ambiant inensity to 0, I usually have it set less then 3 for every thing i do.

You probably knew that but just in case...

rakennedy75
08-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Ok, I have been doing furthur experimenting with this and haven't any luck. I doubled checked all your suggestions and it still seems to be breaking through.

I have a link to some screenshots to show what I am trying to accomplish.
Let me know if you see anything wrong or if I am going about this the wrong way.

http://www.pmtautos.com/artwork/LW_DISPLAY/lighting.html

Thanks

Maimo
08-09-2003, 10:04 AM
We need to see the shadows tab (it would be good to set it to shadow map, and also need to see vlumetric obtions. I really cant tell whats in your layout either. It's to small

You dont need afect caustics, thats for raytracing light bending through a lens type effect.

i cant really tell what your tring to achieve from your render are you trying to do something like this?

Maimo
08-09-2003, 10:07 AM
oh try also turning off affect specular and affect diffuse, you dont need to see the lights effects just the volumetrics.

rakennedy75
08-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Ok, I have to apologize, I found out what I was doing wrong. Pretty stupid mistake. I guess when I was experimenting with all the light settings I set my object (which is the ground with the shape cut into it) to exclude in the light settings.

I have to say that the lighting in LW can get pretty complicated but I love the effects you get with it.

I did learn a lot and do appreciate your time. I attached the file to show the type of effect I was trying to achieve, it was just used for experimenting. Thanks again for the help.