PDA

View Full Version : Ice Tray

VUE
12-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Hi there, recently im trying to do an ice-tray. See attached "Ice Tray_Samples.jpg", instead of those cute icons, im doing them in faces.
See attached "Ice Tray_Rendered.jpg", what i did was to create a high mesh in subpatched, then i used a face image in the displacement maps. The outline of the subject (face) turned out ok, but the face itself was too noisy, anyway it needs to be in "inverted". I guessed was because is an image.

Anyone has any solutions to this?

Im thinking of some solutions, but not sure if they works
1) Re-create the face again in highres, but illustrated, something like air-brushed feel.
2) Slightly blur the image to get the smooth feel, tried but failed. :(
3) To model the face?? hope not...

Regards.

JeffrySG
12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Also keep in mind, if you're going to use a displacement you need to draw an 'elevation' sketch of the face, not a shaded sketch of the face. It might be easier to find a model of a head do a orthographic render to get a distance alpha of the face (16bit), and then sketch on top of that to modify it the way you need, ie: add hair, or change the shape a bit. You can sample gray levels from the face to determine the exact height you are trying to go with as you paint on top of the distance alpha. Then you can use that as your displacement map on your ice trays.

biliousfrog
12-01-2008, 08:54 AM
another option might be to use cloth fx to 'drape' a polygon sheet over a face model and export the transformed object.

VUE
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi JeffrySG and biliousfrog. Thanks for the solutions. I've forgotten to mention that i need the faces to be in specific Hollywood stars, so i cant possibly have them in 3D model. So in the end i still need to use images to map.

JeffrySG, im sorry i dont really understand the steps you suggested. Do you mean using a real 3D model of a head and render it, then use the rendered image for displacement mapping? But eventually does it work without creating the "pixelate" effects seen on my render (attached)? I need them to be really smooth (on the skin). I've tried creating a highres gradient for experiment and map, the "pixelate" effects still turned out.

Silkrooster
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Well I wanted to see how well Bryce would handle the image, its usually better with height maps than lightwave is.
I created a mesh and imported the obj file into lightwave to render. Even if the polys are tripled I still get render errors. If I sub patch the object layout crashes every time.
So any way, I am going to post the object for anybody to play with. In the zip file is sub patched and non sub patched lwo files. I took the time and removed all tri polys.
Silk