PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 Mac Intel issues

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 12:41 AM
OK, before you yell at me to upgrade to 9.5, I plan to, but not this month.

I'm trying to get old, familiar expressions to work, as they used to, but failing. What's the deal? They always worked as expected on older Macs (and Windows too), but not now. (This is an Intel quad core Xeon processor Mac Pro.)

They appear to be "applied" properly but DO NOTHING. :-(

Any hints?

Thanks,
Michael Strickland

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Previews cause LW to unexpectly QUIT when ending a preview ...

(Mac Pro w/ Intel quad core Xeon)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I've tried everything I can think of, but almost NONE of my keys work as input in the Key mappings. (Mac Pro Quad core Intel Xeon).

I've turned off all the keys in the Mac OS X Keyboard settings, but still when I press almost any key to do normal LW stuff, NOTHING HAPPENS.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

toby
12-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Previews cause LW to unexpectly QUIT when ending a preview ...

(Mac Pro w/ Intel quad core Xeon)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
This was a known issue, you'll have to stop the preview before it's done, then browse for the file it creates, in the programs folder I think.

I don't know about the other issues but if you're using the UB version then try the CFM version, and vice-versa - maybe one of them will do what you need.

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
This was a known issue, you'll have to stop the preview before it's done, then browse for the file it creates, in the programs folder I think.

I don't know about the other issues but if you're using the UB version then try the CFM version, and vice-versa - maybe one of them will do what you need.

Thanks for the preview hint.

What do "UB" and "CFM" mean? :-)

Thanks,
Michael

toby
12-01-2008, 01:32 AM
UB is the Universal Binary version of LW that runs native on intel macs, CFM is the old Codewarrior compiled version that only works on PPC macs, and under emulation (Rosetta) on intel macs. The CFM version will render slower on an intel mac, and is not officially supported by Newtek (bug-fixing under Rosetta would be a waste of time), but it does allow you to run any plugins that haven't been UB compiled yet.

If you don't have both installed, go here:
http://register.newtek.com/register.aspx

ingo
12-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Hmm, afaik there was no UB of LW 8.5, i only have the cfm version here too running fine most of the time.

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I already checked the downloads. NO UB version for 8.5 ... so I guess I try to run 8.5 in Rosetta ... gag ... :-)

Thanks,
Michael

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Well crap. There is apparently no Rosetta choice available here for Lightwave 8.5 ... :-/

Any hints there?

Thanks,
Michael

toby
12-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Oooh that's right, I forgot! Sorry, it's been years. 8.5 will always run in rosetta on an intel mac.

DrStrik9
12-01-2008, 02:55 AM
I know -- that's what I get for being so behind the times. I've been taking a close look at the developments with 9.x, and am impressed by what I see. I just need to find the dough.

I was able to somewhat labor-intensively, work around 8.5's non-operational expressions and got the job done another more expensive way.

One would have hoped that running in Rosetta, LW would perform better than it does on an Intel Mac Pro. But no world is perfect ... :-)

Does 9.5 operate well on an Intel Mac Pro (Quad core Xeon)?

Know when they plan to release the 64-bit Mac version? Rosetta is a drag.

Thanks for your valiant attempts to help. I learned a lot.

Best,
Michael

brian.coates
12-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Does 9.5 operate well on an Intel Mac Pro (Quad core Xeon)?
I haven't pushed it to its limits but yes, it operates very well. Crashes for me are quite rare.

Chilton
12-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi Michael,

There were a great many things wrong in 8.5 to begin with. If you're running this on an Intel Mac, I can offer some advice:
1) Don't use Preview.
2) Save often
3) Don't use the Hub
4) Don't use GLSL mode (not even sure if that's in 8.5, but it is very incompatible with Rosetta)
5) Keep all file paths as short as possible.
6) Remove all non-Roman fonts
7) Use a login name that is very short
8) Don't use any non-ASCII characters in any folder or file names.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

-Chilton