PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for fixing a sequencial render numbering blunder?

Litebright
11-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I have just discovered a BIG problem with a batch of 250 sequentially numbered .TIF files that my machine just completed after 43 hours of continuous rendering!

I had initially set up a scene file with a starting frame of 0. After much keyframing, tweaking and modifying I ended up with a 250 frame sequence that started at frame -27 and ended with frame 222. I left it like this instead of trying to move a bunch of keyframes to shift everything from frame 1 to 250 in my hast to start rendering the frames do to a time crunch. I did not realize that I set myself up for a BIG PROBLEM.

Now I have 250 .Tif files that are numbered -27 to 222. Lightwave and probably other programs do not know what to make of this sequence.. When I try to load them as sequential backdrop images, it sees them as frame 1 to 27 and just loads the first 27 frames in REVERSE order, reversing the motion of that segment of the animation. So I have somewhat of a mess, and I need to get these frames out ASAP to my client so they can be imported into Sony Vegas Pro 8. :(

I need to get frames "Scene6_-27.tif" thru "Scene6_-01.tif" and "Scene6_000.tif" thru "Scene6_222.tif" renumbered so they are named "Scene6_001.tif" thru "Scene6_250.tif"

Does anyone know of a practical way of accomplishing this besides trying to change each file name by hand manually in Windows File Explorer? There is NO time to re-render the frames, so that is definitely not an option. Maybe some sort of file renaming or numbering program? I'll make sure I never have negative numbers for frames again... Why does Lightwave even allow negative frame numbers...??

Silkrooster
11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
You don't happen to own an Adobe suite do you? Bridge offers an excellent batch renaming feature that would make light work of this.
You could to a search on download.com and see if there is a free batch renamer. This could be done with DOS commands if you know how. I don't recall any more of the switches needed or if its possible.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-30-2008, 10:48 PM
OK, Checked the dos commands and rename is still available in XP not sure with Vista.
RENAME [drive:][path]filename1 filename2

You can create a text file put the rename command in it copy and paste the # of frames needed then name each file. Do most of the typing in the original line before copy and pasting to save time.
Save the file as whatever.bat
Now when you run the batch file it will rename all the files for you. Best to do this on a copy of the files just in case there is a typo.
Good luck,
Silk

Edit: One last thing rename the files after frame 0 first then the negative frames, this way you won't have any frames over writing other frames.

Stunt Pixels
11-30-2008, 11:14 PM
There's a heap of free batch renamers out there. I've been using multiren (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,27023,00.asp) since, errr, the 1800's?

Dexter2999
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
go to downloads.com and type in "file renamer" I got 10 results per page and 108 pages.

Good Luck

kolby
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I`m using IrFanView for batch renaming. It`s fast, simple and free.

Litebright
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys! I went with the suggestion of using Adobe Bridge, as I already had that on my computer (had never really used it for anything before). It mostly worked. I was able to renumber frame 000 thru 222 with no problem to 028 thru 250. It did not quite work correctly though on the negative frame numbers. It took -27 thru -01 and numbered them 001 thru 027 in REVERSE order (opposite to the order they had been rendered). I tried a couple times to get it numbered in the correct order but it wouldn't do it. I then had to manually rename those 27 files in Windows Explorer, copying 001 thru 013 in one folder and 014 thru 027 in another, renumber them appropriately then join them back together with the other files..

A bit of advise to all, DO NOT render out RGB sequential files with your scene timeline starting with NEGATIVE numbered frames! I was lucky that I only had 27 negative frames in my sequence, if my frames had started with -200 or something like that I think I would have wanted to kill myself lol. As I'd have been cursing through manually renumbering 200 frames. I suppose this proves that Lightwave can be dangerous in the wrong hands!:eek:

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

Litebright
11-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I just noticed I misspelled sequential in the title for this thread.. Was probably just stressing too much when I typed it ;)

Silkrooster
12-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Glad you got it done. For the future you can specify what the starting number will be, so if for some reason it is counting backwards to could start at frame 27 or what ever and let it work its way back to frame 1. My guess is to why it counted backwards was that the starting number was a negative number, it remembers the last instance of renumbering.
Silk

kolby
12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I`m testing batch renaming of negative nembered sequence in IrFanView right now.
It`s easy and works well !

StereoMike
12-01-2008, 04:58 AM
take total commander (link (http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm)).
Besides an awesome file manager /and ftp and...and...and
it has a great renaming tool which lets you define counters etc.
On my screenshot it's german, but it's available in english too.
In my example (look at top left) I took letter 1 to 5 of the filename
[N1-5] (gives you 'panto')
I added -+ ('panto-+')
and put a counter [C] at the end (defined on the top right to start at 0, stepping of one, 4 digits).

I can't imagine a renaming problem that can't be solved with it.

mike

blindsided
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I have this problem before.
l end up taken them as two different seq into After effects and just reverse the first half the minus numbers.

jm

Matt
12-01-2008, 07:47 AM
I use ShellToys for all my batch file naming plus a whole host of other really useful little Windows Explorer additions.

http://www.shelltoysxp.com/