PDA

View Full Version : Negative 'line thickness'

colkai
11-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Y'all.
I'm working on a model at the moment of an animal enclosure and rather than physically model the meshes, I was hoping to utilize the negative particle line thickness trick which gives the impression of actual geometry.

Alas, it seems you cannot set this to respond to camera distance as you can with edges. Consequently, on a wide shot, my mesh size is huge.

Is there actually a way to make it shrink? (or any chance of it becoming a feature maybe Newtek? ).

Or am I looking at some way of having to turn all my 2-pt poly meshes into actual geometry, if so, is there a fast way to do this?

SplineGod
11-30-2008, 09:38 AM
It would have been nice to be able to somehow control the edge thickness with an envelope. It gets frustrating after awhile that so many tools have great potential only to be hamstrung in some fashion.
You might be able to use a plugin called Truss to convert the 2 point polys to geometry. Another option would be to extrude them once to get flat polys then extrude again to make them 3d. Youll probably need to merge and unify the polys afteward.

Silkrooster
11-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Here is an example of what the Truss plug in can do with a simple box object. Note: I had to manually add the edges for the angled portion using the connect tool.
Silk

colkai
12-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Another option would be to extrude them once to get flat polys then extrude again to make them 3d. Youll probably need to merge and unify the polys afteward.

Doh! - that was so obvious I didn't think of it.
Have been trying to use beh_truss but get odd duplicate ploys where I wouldn't expect them.

It is frustrating though that this can't be controlled, a simple distance to camera would of made all the difference. Ahh well, looks like my scene is about to get poly-heavy :(

Silk:
Is that beh_truss, truss or Truss2 ?
EDIT: Ahh, probably truss2, alas my objects are already a shed-load of 2-pt polys. Unless there is a way to run this on 2-pt polys as well as 'proper' polygons

SplineGod
12-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Yea, I dont see why some gradient options werent added into that.

Riff_Masteroff
12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Sometimes the hard way has better results. Attached is a truss modeled without cool shortcuts.

SplineGod
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I used the edge thickness to do the net in this shot.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/Whale.wmv

Sekhar
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
If you have LWCAD, another option is to run poly to curve and then use profiler. You get a wide choice of cross sections.

Silkrooster
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Doh! - that was so obvious I didn't think of it.
Have been trying to use beh_truss but get odd duplicate ploys where I wouldn't expect them.

It is frustrating though that this can't be controlled, a simple distance to camera would of made all the difference. Ahh well, looks like my scene is about to get poly-heavy :(

Silk:
Is that beh_truss, truss or Truss2 ?
EDIT: Ahh, probably truss2, alas my objects are already a shed-load of 2-pt polys. Unless there is a way to run this on 2-pt polys as well as 'proper' polygons

Yeah that was done with Truss 2. It generates 3 layers, the orginal object, the truss object and a 2 point poly object.
Silk

Silkrooster
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
If you have LWCAD, another option is to run poly to curve and then use profiler. You get a wide choice of cross sections.

Yeah I use that quite a bit, but still forget about some of the options. lol
Silk

colkai
12-02-2008, 04:36 AM
Doh, LWCAD? never thought of seeing if that had a 'helper'.
EDIT: just tried it - Woooo for LWCAD! :D

steve0077
12-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Didn't know about Truss2. Handy little plug.

TSpyrison
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I did a google search for Truss2..
All I seem to get is real building material stuff..

link?

<edit>

Never mind.. I forgot to check Flay.. Found it