PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tracking point to a new spot in AE?

Intuition
11-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Ok, so I seem to remember back before the CS suites that you could start a track "track motion" and set up your track point. Then once that track point got to the edge of the screen you could do some kind of ctrl+alt+left click drag to move the track point to a new spot and continue the tracking from that new point without the track having a jump in the track.

Currently I have the AE artists here telling me to track a point make a null then track a new point then make a new null and so on parenting each null to the older one and so on until the track is complete. This is waaaay too many steps and seems really stupid. I know there is a way to move the track point to a new spot and continue the track from that new spot without the track having a jump (equal to the distance to the new track spot.

Please chime in with help if you can. No combo of button clicking is solving it today.

This would essentially be like turning on the "append" button in fusion.

Intuition
11-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, I figured it out. You can move a tracker to a new tracking point by alt+clicking in the small box area (not on the actualy cross though) and then dragging it to the new spot.

You get a line drawn from the old spot but if it leaves the little cross in the old place then it is working. It looks strange but when you apply the tracker to a target layer the move will be seamless and will not jump. Before CS1-3 AE used to not draw the line when you dragged so it threw me off. But it does work. no null parenting necessary.

CC Rider
11-29-2008, 05:33 PM
You can also use two sets of track points. 1 set for part of the clip, and another set for the rest (for after your first set move off screen...)

There is a tutorial that can explain this better than I can type it out if you check out videocopilot.net
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/set_extensions/
If you didn't know about this site, there are a ton of great tutorials for AE that are awesome! But this one in particular will help you out if you are still having trouble...

Enjoy!

:D