PDA

View Full Version : Bones or joints

Mat
11-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I am currently in the process of riging my new character and I am wondering should I use the new joints or keep using the z axis bones?

The joints seem to be slower, is it becuase they are more accurate?

Surrealist.
11-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Joints are a different animal entirely. I don't know about slower. Guess I can't comment on that.

The thing about joints is that when you parent something it always becomes a new bone or influence segment, whatever you want to call it. You can terminate it with nulls which is one option. But the enire method of rigging really has to change to take advantage of joints.

Personally, I think they are much much better deformers. I would never go back to Z axis myself. I never liked the way they worked, really ever. The whole concept that all the points rotate around the pivot of the bone seemed so unusable and impractical when you start putting them in a rig. Yes, they worked, but the concept of joints is entirely different. They deform based on position. And this makes much smoother transitions - for the most part - from area to area. Basically you can start thinking in terms of placing joints to simulate muscle movement and all in all they are much better at confining their influence to the area you want. But you have to get used to how they work.

I am just starting to get into it, but am pleased over all. There seems to be a few bugs still and it is finicky with IK, but I think in general they are a better move. Just do a lot of testing first.

SplineGod
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Joints are just different. In some ways better and in some ways worse. I dont theyre any more or less accurate.

Mat
11-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Thankyou very much for your imput, I will most likelly make the switch to joints.

SplineGod
11-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I would experiment on some simple geometry. If youre using 9.5 release version be prepared for some 'interesting' results in some cases. :)

Mat
11-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I see what you mean by interesting results.

I did a simple leg bend test using joints and added some muscel deformations.

hmm, now I am up in the air again.

Surrealist.
11-29-2008, 02:58 AM
That was pretty cool! Actually I was having a sort of similar idea last night. It looks pretty good but the elbow does move a little strange. Is that the problem?

Mat
11-29-2008, 07:43 AM
thanks, yeah it does move a little funny, but my first test was a little more wonko it was twisting and all I did was move it, probably because I moved it on all three axes instead of just 2.

Surrealist.
11-29-2008, 08:47 AM
That could be. Have you tried using IK yet? There seems to be some issues there as well. depends on your set up but you'll have to experiment.