PDA

View Full Version : A sunset, my first completed image

nmajmani
11-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Okay, so I'm new to the program, and I wanted to create something close to photo-realistic.

The result was an image of a sunset/sunrise which I made over the course of four days. Again, seeing as how I"m new, comments or suggestions for improvement would be most welcome.

biliousfrog
11-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Looks ok to me.

Not much to comment on really, the sea looks ok, the clouds are a bit blobby and the lens flare is horrid. You probably wouldn't get much of a lens flare like that with such a low sun, you'd get more of a 'bloom' effect.

cagey5
11-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Not a fan of lens flare. As a first render though it's not bad. The sea needs anti-aliasing more or fading out over distance, it's just too noisy and the clouds don't sell themselves. You'd be better off using a photo for the sky, most other things scream CG, so ultimately it looks far from photo-realistic. Have an eye for detail and observe whatever's around you.

Be pleased with it, it's a good first render. Now go and do better ;)

nmajmani
11-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. We don't get many sunrises over the ocean where I live, so I wouldn't know at all how lens flare works.

Also, how would one incorporate a real sky? I don't see a way to do this easily. (or I'm just missing something obvious)

Dexter2999
11-27-2008, 06:58 PM
You can import a photo of a real sky in the Image Editor.
Under Window>Compositing Options You can set the picture as your background image.
Or you can load an image straight from the Compositing Options box.

Good first effort. Keep at it.

meshpig
11-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Also if you bake the sky using "skybaker", it complies and loads it as a skybox. This is a skybaker render in the Unity game engine.