PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 Layout exploding under 10.2.6

Solid Image Art
08-07-2003, 02:49 PM
For the longest time, layout and OX 10.2.6 were playing along nicely. But recently, I can't render anything more complicated than a sphere with a single texture map before layout blinks out.

Since others aren't screaming about 10.2.6 and Layout, something happened on my end. I tried trashing the prefs and reinstalling the plugins, but that hasn't stopped the constant and immediate crashing.

If anyone has a creative solution that I might be simply overlooking, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

eblu
08-07-2003, 03:11 PM
hub turned on?
graphics card?
cpu specs?

what were the circumstances of the first crash, related to this current problem? Perhaps it could point us in a direction.

generic suggestions:
make a new user
see if it tanks for that user. if not then you still have a pref problem.
if so then try :
re-installing the app
...the OS
initialize the HD.

Beamtracer
08-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Most users have stuck to 10.2.4 for the time being.

mlinde
08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Did you recently upgrade any software? You should remember to repair your disk permissions after every software upgrade, even Software Update items.

If you've installed or upgraded something recently, do the permissions repair dance and that might help.

sidenote
Beam, I've been running 10.2.6 since sometime in June, I think it's fine if you have an nVidia card. In fact there are a few little tweaks that make it nicer than 10.2.4 (like being able to run Final Cut).

paintboy
08-07-2003, 04:17 PM
X.2.6 running "swell" here as well.
try opening a scene from the LW content, and see if you can get a render.
also as weird as it sounds, try saving all objects before F9.
there were also claims that leaving the render options panel open worked?
for a while there were several users seeing sort of a Bug on F9 renders.
just blinks out, i have seen it once or twice here, and always figured it was
tied to the scene file.
also found that the same scene file that would not render with F9,you could watch the render window, and it always went poof at the same place.
would with F10?(provided the render options are set properly) after it rendered a frame, from then on F9 worked again?(scairy ghost noises ooooooh)
...of course one might also get the same results by wearin a voodoo mask and wavin a chicken bone over your head :) good luck.

Solid Image Art
08-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Man, you guys really make this forum shine! All of your suggestions has helped to create a definitive target to narrow down the culprit.

This is where I am:

1) My old scene files created on my Mac all render fine - no exploding programs to report. ;-)

2) Scene files created elsewhere, i.e., my PC or my friends Mac - make Layout blinkout on an F9.

What I will try to do next time around:

1) Open and save "foreign" files, including all objects prior to F9.

2) Run Disk Warrior

3) Turn off the hub

Machine Specs: Dual 1 ghz G4, 1 gig o'ram, OS 10.2.6

mlinde
08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Solid Image Art
2) Scene files created elsewhere, i.e., my PC or my friends Mac - make Layout blinkout on an F9.

Try this --
get your hands on an old fashioned text editor (BBEdit Lite doesn't exist anymore, but something like it)

Open your PC Scene files, and do a global search and replace for "\" to ":" this changes the Windows specific directory paths to Mac paths. make sure to save the file under a slightly different name, just in case you make a typo.

Then, before you do anything (even press F9), hit the major features to verify they are corrected (render settings, output, render display, image savers, etc). These things aren't platform agnostic, and you need to check them before rendering. I vaguely recall a PC-only render display that may also be the culprit, check that as well.

Solid Image Art
08-08-2003, 10:30 AM
mlinde,

Thanks for you advice about the windows/mac extension concerns. I'm gong to tuck that away for future use. :)

Prior to your posting, I successfully kept Layout from blinking out by opening the troublesome scene file, saving it and all of the objects associated with it prior to an F9. For the first time, no explosions to report and everything rendered as expected.

I also took your advice and repaired all of my disk permissions as a safe measure, but I did this after my successful render test.

Thanks to all who posted! This allows me to keep working on the mac since most of my commercial plugins are tied to this platform.

Dan